Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Katrina + 5

Today is the 5th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Although New Orleans was destroyed by levee failure, across Lake Pontchartain where we live was destroyed by Katrina herself who painted a target on our house and hit it dead center.
We evacuated the day before she hit and returned 2 weeks later.

We left our house like this:

And returned to this:

140 trees removed and one bulldozer later, the lot was bare and soon after sold. We won the insurance company battle, bought another house and NOW we have an RV and will not have months of homelessness if Katrina's sister decides to pay a visit.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #2

I'm glad ya'll evacuated! Isn't a good feeling to know that you have a house on wheels?! We survived Katrina well here in New Roads, but weren't so lucky for Gustav. We didn't evacuate for Gustav, who would, in New Roads? Well after that we bought a PUP and that was the biggest relief. Now we have a new TT in ready mode at all times. If another hurricane comes this way, we are out of here. We stood in our back door and watched our roof come off the house. I stood there thinking that we should have gone, stuck to my gut feeling. But the big question is where are you going to stay? No worries now. We were able to make repairs to the house the next day and were able to stay in the undamaged parts. Having a TT, RV, or PUP is a great feeling. I hope none of us ever have to use them for a Hurricane. I have lived on the coast my entire life until moving to New Roads, CT where we grew up, Fort Lauderdale for a few years (many hurricanes), then LA. I think we have a bull's eye on us here in LA. Good luck to you both, and hope for a safe season!

Kirk
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Jan Goldfield

So, Kirk, you know what a 'go box' is and never ever unpack it.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #4

We do have to add a case of MREs to the "BOX" yet. Always 2 cases of water, at least 1 LPG tank full, bag of charcoal, and several days of cloths. I have a company vehicle that I work with, so when we return from a camping trip the TV is filled with gas, linens cleaned, floors vacuumed, connected to shore power, and city water. Ready to roll. I even put a dump connection to my sewer so if we had to , we can live in it. Lessons learned! Hope to never have to use it for that lesson!
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Jan Goldfield

I could easily rig up a sewer connection to our septic tank here. All else is OK. Well, not the MRE's because I am vegan. I can just graze, I suppose.......

2009 Ford 150