Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

kicker audio

Anyone use the kicker audio cs series speakers ?

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Broken Toe

Kicker is low $$$ crap in my opinion. They skew everything to get huge bass response and to hell with sound quality. If money is a concern, sony xplod is pretty good. If money is not primary concern, Arc Audio has some great stuff. ARC Audio, Inc. Car audio products for serious music lovers!*| Arc Audio

I am assuming you are talking about car audio. Now if you wanna talk home stuff. HSU research has killer speakers, or you can do like I did and get the BiC Accustec copy of the HSU's with about 95% of the performance for about 50% of the price

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #3

Never buy Sony car audio! Kicker is better than Sony, but look into Infinity.
danimal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes car audio.
Keeping factory radio.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

Check into Polk or Infinity for a good mid level speaker (around $100 a pair). Much more than that and you're talking adding amps, etc and it gets expensive quickly.
brockhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Always Learning

As a teen, I lusted after a Kicker setup to boom, boom in the trunk. Fortunately I was never really good a saving up and never wasted it on the radio.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #7

I have the kicker system factory installed in my 2014 stealth and I love the sound and bass.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal86 View Post
Never buy Sony car audio! Kicker is better than Sony, but look into Infinity.
I would have agreed with that statement, but my son bought an xplod system (against my advice) and it was surprisingly good. Nice range and sound. Decent distortion levels at any volume. Quality seemed ok too.

Again, I wouldn't buy them myself. I'm too much of an audio snob, but I gotta call them like I see them, and they weren't bad.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #9

You know Trurbs, I have been into audio for 35+ years ( home and car as well as pro audio) and most anything is better than stock.

The Kicker system you are talking about should be fine but the factory radio will have a built-in eq (that you can't adjust) just for the factory speakers and may or may not sound quite like you expect it to.

It will probably sound better just because it is a set of seperates and that makes a big differance.

I am a JBL fan and highly recomend them but I am biased for sure.

JL Audio also makes some pretty darn good entry level stuff that I find hard to beat.

Sound is a very personal experience and never let anyone tell you what sounds best to you, only you can do that.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
You know Trurbs, I have been into audio for 35+ years ( home and car as well as pro audio) and most anything is better than stock.

The Kicker system you are talking about should be fine but the factory radio will have a built-in eq (that you can't adjust) just for the factory speakers and may or may not sound quite like you expect it to.

It will probably sound better just because it is a set of seperates and that makes a big differance.

I am a JBL fan and highly recomend them but I am biased for sure.

JL Audio also makes some pretty darn good entry level stuff that I find hard to beat.

Sound is a very personal experience and never let anyone tell you what sounds best to you, only you can do that.
Pm sent
Old 10-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs2000z View Post
I have the kicker system factory installed in my 2014 stealth and I love the sound and bass.
I just picked up my 2014 Stealth 2313 and was disappointed that the Kicker head unit (Dual XDVD1262 does not have HDMI or Bluetooth. I know the entry level Jensen has Bluetooth and I think HDMI).

Oh well I am sure the Kicker amp and speakers sound much better.

I may swap out the head unit.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #12

Hows the install going Turbs?
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #13

I'm in agreement that Sony is junk! I have been way too into car audio as a hobby for my entire life! I built my first custom system in my dad's vehicle at the age of 10! I am a huge JL audio fan and will never buy anything else for my vehicles. Just can't beat the sound quality, power outputs of there amps, and price. Yes they are a bit expensive and I only buy the high end of there products but I have always felt with my car audio do it right the first time and never worry about it again! If you are going to put in subs and need shallow mounts though if you wouldn't want to go with JL the Rockford fosgate punch p3's are starting to match the quality if the JL IMHO.
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
phat phrog stunt crew

get some dynamat as well to place on the inside of the doors. doesnt take much to quiet them down, probably an 8"x 8" piece.

The Official Dynamat Website

i will tell you it is a bit spendy tho, but it gives excellent results.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #15

Dynamat is way over priced, better to go with http://www.raamaudio.com/and spend the rest on beer
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #16

OK, have to put my 2 cents worth in here. I work for Crutchfield (some of you car & home A/V fans may recognize the name) so I've been selling car audio for about 15 years. Kicker makes some good quality speakers, as well as amps & subs. The new CS series speakers sound pretty good & are relatively efficient but handle quite a bit of power so they will do best with an amp. As for Sony, those wouldn't be my first choice. Most have treated cloth surrounds & aren't very efficient. Polk & Infinity are excellent choices - I've had both in my vehicles at one time or another. Currently I have Boston Acoustics speakers. Love them but unfortunately, BA is no longer making car audio gear; they've decided to concentrate on their home audio line.

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
phat phrog stunt crew

amarrs .... went to crutchfield website to check on upgrading the stereo,av/dvd system that comes with some rvs. i found more of the same on your site. any other systems you can recommend with av/dvd/usb etc?
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMarrs View Post
OK, have to put my 2 cents worth in here. I work for Crutchfield (some of you car & home A/V fans may recognize the name) so I've been selling car audio for about 15 years. Kicker makes some good quality speakers, as well as amps & subs. The new CS series speakers sound pretty good & are relatively efficient but handle quite a bit of power so they will do best with an amp. As for Sony, those wouldn't be my first choice. Most have treated cloth surrounds & aren't very efficient. Polk & Infinity are excellent choices - I've had both in my vehicles at one time or another. Currently I have Boston Acoustics speakers. Love them but unfortunately, BA is no longer making car audio gear; they've decided to concentrate on their home audio line.
Pm sent