Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
Always Learning

Kidney Stones - might have them

Ok, I’m going out to left field with this one. Wife + daughter are away on a cruise and I’m Mr. Momming it with my son.

Pretty bad pain in my lower left side (front around to back) and down into my groin.

Same pain (but not as severe) came and went a couple weeks ago.

My Internet/self-diagnosing seems to say kidney stones. Dad had them.

For those that have had them, can you tell me about the pain associated with them? And is the treatment generally just “drink a lot of water and suffer”. I don’t mind loading up on water and ibuprofen.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #2

Ouch....be there, done that and NEVER want to have that again.

When I had mine, the pain was really, really sharp. I drank a lot of water and the only thing that gave me some relief was a hot pulsating shower. We didn't have our hot tub at the time but I bet if we did, that would have felt good.

Fortunately mine passed without the need to get medical help. I remember when it came out as it was like this HUGE relief like none other. And glad it did when it did as I was scheduled to be on a plane the next day.

Wish you the best and drink lots of water.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
"On the road again"

The more beverages you can drink with acid (lemon juice, cranberry juice) the better. A urologist told me to drink LOTS of lemon water daily as a preventive, but if you do get them the acid in lemon juice can eat away and make them a bit smaller.

I've had four or five over the years and the pain is unlike any other pain you'll ever get. Mine was always a very dull but intense pain extending from the groin to the back.

Once it comes out, it's truly a knee-buckling experience that you'll remember forever - but what a relief.

In the meantime...curl up on the floor in the fetal position.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

If your laying on the floor, tears coming out of your eyes, feeling for sure that an internal organ has burst, feel pretty positive that whatever has burst is not survivable and that you are without a doubt in the process of dying right now, can not urinate more than a trickle and that urine....you are laying in and do not care and can not talk or walk more than moan and twist around in excruciating pain.... You likely have a Kidney stone.

If you do... buckle in bud.... Your in for one heck of a horrible trip. I've done it 4 times so far. Each one has been a total blast. It is the most insane thing I have ever experienced by a huge margin and I almost cry thinking that it will be lived through multiple more times.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #5

Have had them twice, and each time was slightly different. Felt like I had to puke, piss, or poop, but couldn't do any of that.

Ended up in the emergency room both times on morphine. Once it dropped into the bladder it was fine and just waited for it to pass.

Get yourself some straight cranberry juice, not the cocktail or crangrape. Drink a lot of this, it will help lubricate the pipes to move the stone along.
jrminiquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
Always Learning

I can’t say the pain is horrendous/like I need morphine but it’s super uncomfortable and enough to keep me from sleeping last night. And this is TMI, but almost feels like someone is squeezing my nuts and the pain is radiating up into my back/side.

Problem with going to the doctor/urgent care is I have my 7 year old with me and I’m single dadding it right now. I have a friend I might be able to dump him off on, but am really trying to avoid that.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #7

Both times I have had them the pain seemed to be concentrated in my lower back. With the first one you could feel the pain moving over the course of a day while the stone traveled.

It was the worst thing I have ever felt but once it dropped down into the bladder it was clear sailing and no pain at all coming out.

I have saved all of my serious pain medication and take it with me whenever we travel just in case it happen again.

Best of luck to you.
jrminiquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
Always Learning

Ok. So seems like I can self-medicate... water, lemon water, and cranberry juice. Ibuprofen and Tylenol for pain.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

The pain I had each time was below the ribs in the soft area, around the back. I would be squeezing my elbow into the area above my hip bone and curling my body around that side. I've never had it feel testicular at all, so I'm worried that you might have something else going on and honestly... I'd like to see you get to the hospital right away. Find a baby sitter, do it now before something goes sideways on you and your calling an ambulance.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #10

I’ve never had one, but my wife has. When given the choice of passing a stone, or giving birth, she says she’ll choose giving birth every time.
Based on that, I feel for you.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Ok. So seems like I can self-medicate... water, lemon water, and cranberry juice. Ibuprofen and Tylenol for pain.
Your TMI above pretty well describes it! I've delivered about 6. My brother has, too. For years, he carried a left-over pain pill wrapped in aluminum foil to work every day (Frito-Lay route man). If he was hit with a stone, he took his pill which relaxed him enough to pass the stone. I recommend the cranberry juice and walking (if you can stand it).

So sorry.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #12

I've suffered from kidney stones 4 times. Worst pain ever accompanied by throwing up. The pain was in my lower back. I managed to pass three of the stones, but one had to be surgically removed (too large). I stopped having issues once I learned to keep my self hydrated. Good luck...
Old 12-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #13

Mine was mild discomfort, annoying but not disabling. Turns out it was too large to pass and I needed a roro-rooter treatment to get it out. If I were you, I'd get an x-ray to find out what you are up against.
Btw, there are 3 types. Not all are helped by increasing acidity, mine wasn't. Lots of water does help.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

If you run a fever or start getting nausea, go to ER. I've never had kidney stones, but dealing with patients who have had them it could be. Could also be gall stones. Hope you feel better soon man. I just got out of hospital last night after 5 days. They cut a foot of my colon out due to diverticulitis issues I had that started in Spring. Age 54.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I can’t say the pain is horrendous/like I need morphine but it’s super uncomfortable and enough to keep me from sleeping last night. And this is TMI, but almost feels like someone is squeezing my nuts and the pain is radiating up into my back/side.

Problem with going to the doctor/urgent care is I have my 7 year old with me and I’m single dadding it right now. I have a friend I might be able to dump him off on, but am really trying to avoid that.
I have felt your pain. If you can control the pain with Ibuprofen, just drink, drink, drink, plenty of liquids mentioned. If you find yourself wearing a path to the bathroom at night that's OK. In fact it will help your problem quicker.

What's ridiculous, these "stones" are often really small and not much bigger than a grain of sand. However, they feel like you're trying to pass something large enough to use as a wheel chock for your truck/trailer

Here's a blurb from the Harvard Health site:

Quote:
Avoid stone-forming foods: Beets, chocolate, spinach, rhubarb, tea, and most nuts are rich in oxalate, and colas are rich in phosphate, both of which can contribute to kidney stones.
If one of those are on your list perhaps it might be worth avoiding.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Calcium pills too. After some broken bones, some idiot told me to take calcium. My sister, a doctor, said, "enjoy your kidney stones". I listened to my sister.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I just got out of hospital last night after 5 days. They cut a foot of my colon out due to diverticulitis issues I had that started in Spring. Age 54.
Sorry to hear that. Best wishes and get well soon.

My experience with hospitals (M/C accident and Bypass Surgery) has never been good. Between the Dr's and their cutting tools, the food, as well as the total inability to get a good night's sleep (without drugs), as they say "There's NO place like HOME".

Best wishes and get well soon.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Sorry to hear that. Best wishes and get well soon.

My experience with hospitals (M/C accident and Bypass Surgery) has never been good. Between the Dr's and their cutting tools, the food, as well as the total inability to get a good night's sleep (without drugs), as they say "There's NO place like HOME".

Best wishes and get well soon.
Thanks man.
Quote:
total inability to get a good night's sleep (without drugs)
If we ever sit around a campfire, I'll tell you how a certain night shift nurse was almost murdered night before last. I slept 9 hours solid last night at home, like the dead. Rest of staff was aces though.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Thanks man. If we ever sit around a campfire, I'll tell you how a certain night shift nurse was almost murdered night before last. I slept 9 hours solid last night at home, like the dead. Rest of staff was aces though.
That's why they don't allow firearms in Hospitals

In my case it was a loudly slamming door right outside my room in the ICU and nurses that were too lazy to slide the door to my room open/closed so they just left it open.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #20

You missed the most important pain relief method on your list above, at least for me, the hot pulsating shower. We have a jacuzzi type bathtub and that was almost instant relief.