Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

know your abbreviations?

Feeling bored, I started a project yesterday I had been putting off, because frankly, I admit I had no idea of what I was doing. The tps on the cc q-jet on my '86 Z28 was bad. First time I ever had one of these things apart. Got it back together today, now just need to put it back on. One way to help cure cabin fever.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #2

Best time to do that project is now. Couple of weeks from now when all the snow melts that Z28 deserves to be hittin' the streets! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

????
Black
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Ok first off, why would there be a throttle position sensor on a quadra jet carb? I dont know what the cc is. Were the Z's not fuel injected on the '86 models?

I thought those were some of the coolest cars when I was a kid, well those and ferraris and lamborginis. And yes I was only about 5 when that car hit the lot
I would still love to have a clean, low mile, all original, mid to later '80s Z, still love 'em!!!!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Ok first off, why would there be a throttle position sensor on a quadra jet carb? I dont know what the cc is. Were the Z's not fuel injected on the '86 models?

I thought those were some of the coolest cars when I was a kid, well those and ferraris and lamborginis. And yes I was only about 5 when that car hit the lot
I would still love to have a clean, low mile, all original, mid to later '80s Z, still love 'em!!!!

Computer controlled. Yep, they had a TPS inside and an electronic mixture control solenoid that pulsed pretty quickly to trim the mixture with that awesome single wire oxygen sensor they had.

The GM line had carburetors on all models through 86, the last carbs were on 87 models. 88 saw the coming of fi across the line, throttle body on all the engines that were carbed.

Fi was an option through 86, I had an 86 IROC Camaro with a tuned port 305. I miss that car, I gave it urethane bushings and Z rated 255 width tires, it would hang with vettes easily.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Cool !! Didn't know all that. I knew that there were some tune ports around that time, and that many of the '87 trucks switched to efi.
Learn somethin new everyday! Thanks
Ps. Sounds like a real pain in the butt carb setup though.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #7

It's pretty rough the first time, it's like setting a float with a moving target. But once you get the first time around done it's actually not bad. Biggest thing that makes those carbs run is popping the plugs out that cover the idle mixture screws and adjusting them correctly.

For GM, throttle body first really showed up on the crossfire Vette from 1982. Great idea, awful execution though some guys have made them run and run well.

TPI showed up as a Camaro option and standard on the Vette in 1985 and was a quantum leap in performance relatively speaking.

TBI was optional on 87 trucks but was rare. Truck folks wanted carbs, I personally think that's why TBI had a regular round air cleaner so it would look like part of the family.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Yeah im out on carbs. I cant do a thing with 'em. Now give me some injectors and a box of wires and I can work with that!
Im glad work in the era of today's cars and trucks. Alot of that old stuff was a real pain to work on, and as unreliable as can be. But that's coming from a guy that just bought a $600 update for his scanner last week. Now days you have to be an electrician more than anything seems like.
My kids would probably never know what a choke or flooding an engine was, if it wasn't for their 4wheelers! But untill 7-8 years ago, who had ever heard of DPF, or DEF. Man things change! !!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #9

Yep, they do and quickly. I took the tools home six years ago after 17 years and 10 at dealers. It's different enough now I don't know how well I'd handle it if I had to go back.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #10

BTSOM
(Beats the $%&t out of me)
Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #11

I had an '86 IROC with the 305 Tuned Port. She was Bright Blue with grey interior and T-Tops! I always loved the dashboard on that car, the way it hung out towards you. It was perfect for hiding the remote headunit for the radar detector! It was a fantastic cruising car....This post put me in the 'way back machine' especially with the latest round of snow here in SE Michigan...

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote