Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
cogito ergo moo

Latest lake lot project

I still have to update my blog, but the last big update was the knotty pine t&g inside the cabin. I had to hide that from the blog so the wife wouldn't find out about it till the big reveal. (thread here). Well, she finally got to see it this weekend. It literally took her breath away. She kept sputtering about how I said we were doing drywall... I just looked at her and said, "you really believed I was putting in drywall?" Needless to say, she was thrilled.

So anyway, we have an area that we use for a fire pit. Its right in the middle of the lots, but it had a bit of a slope to it. Nothing major, but enough to make you want to put a piece of 2x4 under the one side of your chair so you sit level. It's to the right of the gravel driveway in this picture.

We knew we wanted to do something nice with that area, but never really settled on what. A gentleman about 5 lots up stopped by a couple weeks ago to introduce himself, and to ask if we had a 4-way and jack he could borrow to change the tire on his boat trailer. We sent him up the hill with my jack and my cordless impact wrench with a selection of sockets. He was amazed that we would trust him with that stuff. We would have gone and changed his tire, but my buddy's slide out motor was having fits and we were trying to fix it. Turns out, over beers later, the guy mentioned he owns a drainage company and has a bobcat and mini excavator. He said he was bringing the excavator down the following week and asked if we needed anything leveled.

Well.... Seeing how you offered! We had him level up the fire pit area for us. He did the best he could without cutting any tree roots. I forgot to tell him about my electric line to my camper, and he exposed it, but didn't hurt it. This guy can load eggs with this thing.

Sorry about the focus. My phone camera focus is crap sometimes.

Now we have a nice level place for the fire pit. But we cant leave the walls like that. A couple of calls and we found Lowes had landscape block on sale. A quick blast up the road with the flatbed trailer, and we come back with a pallet and a half of block. About 4 hours of grunting and we wound up with a really nice area. Kind of a odd shape, but again, we were constrained by the trees.

The final location of the actual fire pit is still fluid. We may wind up moving it a bit later. We will border the whole area with block and fill it a few inches deep with pea-gravel later on.

not bad for making it up on the fly.

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #2

Looks nice Tim! Where is that lot at?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #3

Very nice. I take it this is in a remote area and not a campround? Looks like a great private spot.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #4

Great looking lot and fire pit.

I think the odd shape is the best part, a lot more natural.
----------------------------
Nights camping:
(31) 2014, (18) 2013, (62) 2012, (57) 2011
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Looks nice Tim! Where is that lot at?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Goose Creek. about halfway between farmington and Ste Gen.

tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote