Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
leaving house empty

We will be leaving for the South next winter, and had arranged for grand daughter to live in our house, as she just graduated high school and we live close to the college she wants to commute to. Yesterday, we learned she and boyfriend want to get their own apartment. Don't really know what to do about leaving house empty for 6 months. I don't want to come back to an empty house and garage. I don't think just asking county sheriff to keep an eye on it will be enough. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2014 Sunseeker 3010DS
With chocolate, all is well
richardwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
ADT or some other type service like it.

Camera system that you can monitor o n your PC while you are away.

Got a neighbor you can trust with your stuff?

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
I would be very careful doing that. We're reading in the news and seeing on tv many cases of bad people squatting in homes and owners returning after months unable to remove them. Make sure you have an alarm system, good neighbors and friends or family to stop by and stay a night occasionally.
2013 185RB Salem Cruise Lite TT
2003 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 factory lift Ext cab
3 days camping total for 2014
185RB-Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Mod free 5er
Word of caution, we are friends with several sheriffs deputies and they all say to refrain from putting any notice of a security system on windows or in your yard as it is easy to cut the phone line and disable the system unless you have the wireless notification system. We are fortunate enough to have a sheriffs home watch which we call and inform them who should be or might be parked there and according to our neighbor, when we are not home, a sheriffs car parks in our drive most nights with a radar gun.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
I had an aunt & uncle that used to do the same. They had a house here in NC that they would use between May and October then spend the rest of their time at their main residence in CA. Besides the neighbors keeping an eye out ,they also had my phone number, they set various lights on timers to match their normal schedule. I also had a key and would take the wife and kids there for weekend get a ways or to take care of problems when they were out of town.
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Install a safe or strongbox in your home and RV. Carry and store certified and notarized copies of legal documents.
A lot can happen in 6 months or 6 days or 6 hours.
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Have neighbors park in your driveway if they will.

Turn the water off! Water heater, ice maker, etc., can spring a leak. (I was lucky. I had one water heater spring a leak a week before a month long trip, another sprung a leak a week after a month long trip.)
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
My parents went south for the winter for years. Security system and two sons that would snowblow the drive so it looked like someone was home. Family visited the post office to pick-up the held mail and we would send it to them. The security system would monitor water in the basement and house temp.
Ford 2015 F250 Crew Lariat Ultimate 6.7L Diesel 4X4

my_crib_too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Firesafe ur docs (I use a fire rated gun safe mounted to slab) we opted for new security system with integrated cameras and home automation....can control All locks, t-stats, and lights from phone, as know the status of every door and window and garage door in house....and be alerted if/when any are opened or disarmed....

I have a water break monitor as well but I just shut off water if no one will be using it while im is cellular/wifi based with backup power source....

Oh..and turn water of my irrigation heads broke while I was gone last time...neighbor said it was shooting 25 ft high...

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.

2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote