Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

Local Dialects

When mtnguy refers to 'cut it on', to midwesterners, that means 'turn it on'. Took us Missourians a while to understand the what cutting it on and cutting it off meant.

p.s. I love the different dialects that are spoken in all the places we've lived in the last 50+ yrs.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to judy3972
Reminds me of living in Rhode Island in the 60's and a neighbor said that she was going outside to "pick the clothes from the line".

Phoenix, Az.
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
When mtnguy refers to 'cut it on', to midwesterners, that means 'turn it on'. Took us Missourians a while to understand the what cutting it on and cutting it off meant.
I grew up in Page County, VA.....that should explain it all.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

And when we lived in Arkansas everyone "Carried" you somewhere and they were always "Fixin'" to do this or that and carried groceries in a poke. Love the dialects.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Flagstaff 625D Popup

The one I love in PA is "Red up". Which means to clean up. As in "Red up your room.".

Another one is calling a bag a "poke". Bought some items from the store and the clerk asked "Do you want a poke for that ?" I was like ????.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

My lovely spouse is from Tennessee. She doesn't say the usual "Who are your parents?" She says "Who do you belong to?" And like Arkansasians, she's always "fixin ta do" something....
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
The one I love in PA is "Red up". Which means to clean up. As in "Red up your room.".

Another one is calling a bag a "poke". Bought some items from the store and the clerk asked "Do you want a poke for that ?" I was like ????.

Bean
In Arkansas, it is Rid up ya'll's room, rat now!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Broken Toe

some advancesd warning about communicating with a St. Louis native:

We dont call it St. Lou, The Lou, or St. Louie around here. Ever.

Hoosier is a derogitory term that is interchangable with Redneck and Hillbilly. It has nothing to do with what state you come from.

Some people call a trip or journey a poke. As in "its quite a poke down to texas from here"

East means Illinois. "Out east" means East Coast. "East Side" means the strip clubs. South means south of the Meremec River which also means "out in the sticks" "South of 110" means "down where the gene pool grows shallow". "The South" means tennessee.

"you'ns" (you-uns) replaces Ya'all.

"Ball Game" automatically means The Cardinals.

Toasted Ravioli and Pork Steaks are Delicasies. And Paula Deen did NOT invent Gooey Butter Cake. St. Louisians will defend to the death that Imo's is the best pizza ever. You may be offered some. You wont like it.

"ATM Machine" is not considered a Redundency.

Upon meeting a St. Louisian, you may be asked what High School you went to. This is not an invasion of privacy, but a standard St. louis conversation openener

And finally, directions are totally useless to anyone who doesnt live here. I-64 is called hiway 40 to locals. The outer ring road is either i-255 or i-270 depending on where you are at on it. You can be driving eastbound on westbound 270 at certain places. Distances are given from local landmarks "15 miles south of the Brewery" or "about 20 mintues past the Airport"

And my favorite all time "St Louis" direction actually included "turn right about a mile BEFORE you get to the creek" !?!?!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #9

How about go find me a hose pipe? LOL. Garden hose. I think its a Mississippi think.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pop or soda in the north coke in the south
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Experienced Newbie

Michigan:
"Coast to Coast" means Muskegon to Port Huron
There IS a difference between Vernors and Ginger Ale
"Up North" usually meant driving north of Flint (at least to my neighborhood in Macomb County)
Yoopers live north of the Mackinaw bridge and Trolls live south of the bridge

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

In Wisconsin:

"Up North" is used for vacationing anywhere north of where you live.

Bubbler is commonly known as a water fountain in the rest of the free world.

Schmear and sheepshead are two card games. You can watch these games and have them explained to you for years and you still won't know the rules. BTW - You can also schmear in sheepshead.

Rubbers (not what you think). For galoshes or overshoes you put on to keep dress shoes from getting snowy.

The phrase "Go Packers" is a standard salute with us.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm from southeast WI so we always called them sodas.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #14

How to Speak Hoosier
Old 06-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
10Isola

In southeastern PA we drink wooder(water)
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
some advancesd warning about communicating with a St. Louis native:

We dont call it St. Lou, The Lou, or St. Louie around here. Ever.

Hoosier is a derogitory term that is interchangable with Redneck and Hillbilly. It has nothing to do with what state you come from.

Some people call a trip or journey a poke. As in "its quite a poke down to texas from here"

East means Illinois. "Out east" means East Coast. "East Side" means the strip clubs. South means south of the Meremec River which also means "out in the sticks" "South of 110" means "down where the gene pool grows shallow". "The South" means tennessee.

"you'ns" (you-uns) replaces Ya'all.

"Ball Game" automatically means The Cardinals.

Toasted Ravioli and Pork Steaks are Delicasies. And Paula Deen did NOT invent Gooey Butter Cake. St. Louisians will defend to the death that Imo's is the best pizza ever. You may be offered some. You wont like it.

"ATM Machine" is not considered a Redundency.

Upon meeting a St. Louisian, you may be asked what High School you went to. This is not an invasion of privacy, but a standard St. louis conversation openener

And finally, directions are totally useless to anyone who doesnt live here. I-64 is called hiway 40 to locals. The outer ring road is either i-255 or i-270 depending on where you are at on it. You can be driving eastbound on westbound 270 at certain places. Distances are given from local landmarks "15 miles south of the Brewery" or "about 20 mintues past the Airport"

And my favorite all time "St Louis" direction actually included "turn right about a mile BEFORE you get to the creek" !?!?!

Tim
Cow - I noticed you didn't mentioned the Rams in your "Ball Game" definition. Can't say I blame you - I would be ashamed of them also if I lived in STL!

Go 49'ers
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

This thread was spun out of another thread due to me saying "cut it off" instead of "turn it off". I moved the hijacked posts here, to continue with a "fun" thread. But we need to be careful not to offend others. Please post only words or phrases that are used in your particular area of the country that are readily used by the general population there.

Thanks, Chap

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #18

Glad to see you'ns up there. When we moved to Wisconsin in '48, if talking about more than one person, it was you'ns. Had an aunt that would always be waiting for me to say that so she could laugh. But the she would say "ain't so?". Then it way my turn to laugh.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Cow - I noticed you didn't mentioned the Rams in your "Ball Game" definition. Can't say I blame you - I would be ashamed of them also if I lived in STL!

Go 49'ers
A am actually a Heritic in St. Louis becasue I am not a Rabid, Foaming-at-the-Mouth Baseball fan. I much prefer Hockey. Id rather pay my own way in to see a Blues game in the highest seats in the house, than to be given free tickets to see the Cards one row behind home plate.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I'm from southeast WI so we always called them sodas.

Yup...soda it is! I wonder what "other" on your map means?
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote