Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Looking for Toad, car to tow?

Just bought an FR3 motor home and in a few (2 or 3) years, will be buying a small car to tow behind as I tour the country side.

Now I need to know what to look for, what questions to ask, what types work best? Just me so far, so a small one is all needed.

It would need to transport a bicycle to the local bike trails where ever I am traveling through.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #2

Are you going to just tow the rig or are you going to use a dolly or trailer to haul it
Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

Looking to tow a small car. Just me, so a two seater with grocery room in a trunk or back seat area. Or something along that idea.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

Check your tow capacity. If you add a dolly it saves some wear, but increases the weight. Same time, a dolly with brakes takes away the complexity of a brake kit for the toad.

Just one to look at - Fiat 500.
Next used Cooper Mini.
Next Honda Fit - you can fold the rear seat down and carry a bike in the car.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
outdoor addict

A 2-door Jeep Wrangler would work well. Added bonus is that you can go just about anywhere at the destination.

Norm
nakerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #6

Of those suggested so far, I like the Honda Fit best. But with a window of two years for choice, I will be looking at any and all I can find out about.
Has any tried or heard about towing VW Bugs?

2nd question is :
Effective differences between flat tow, dolly tow, and trailer towing??
I never did any of them before, so going into new experiences no matter which way I go.
Of those I have seen on the road, flat tow is in majority. But those also seem to be larger SUV's and trucks. None of which I am looking for my use.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

not my money or choice, but i second the wrangler idea. small, can be a convertible and has a back seat for groceries. 2 or 3 years out tho the fiesta will be an affordable used car as well as the cruz by chevy.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Ron......

You don't mention whether your choice would be a manual or automatic transmission toad vehicle. If it IS automatic, then you'll see by the attachment that your choices are somewhat more limited. A number of vehicles have fallen off the list because of the way automatic transmissions are lubricated/cooled without the motor running.

Towing Guide | Seattle Everett Washington

I prefer to flat tow and have a car which meets my needs. A dolly is another vehicle needing tires, brakes, possibly a license and insurance. Also, some campsites might be a little tight when it comes to finding somewhere to put the dolly.......they won't fit under the motorhome. Trailers just impact your weight towing limits and again, the same concerns listed above for a dolly.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #9

Not concerned with the option of manual of auto transmission, I have driven motorcycles, cars (both types) trucks, military jeeps, Duce n a halves, and dump trucks.
My first concern is size vehicle, prefer small. Guessing manual works easier, better? After that, cheap is nice. Dependable is preferred.