Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #21

Sorry for your loss.

I am sure you gave her a wonderful life. And in return I am sure she gave you much happiness.

Take time relive those wonderful memories.
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #22

Ken and Paula, so sorry for your loss. She is waiting on the other side of Rainbow Bridge to go camping again with her family. She will be greatly missed.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #23

My sympathies. Maybe gone, but never forgotten.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Our deepest condolences.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #25

Thinking of you ~ may you find comfort in your many sweet memories ~
Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #26

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

As has been said before, it is never an easy decision to make. I have had to do it in the past. They will be loved and missed.

Until we see them again.

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #27
Just my opinion

Ken and Paula, sorry for your loss, and we know how you are feeling. Our Zoe, who's 9, also has a tumor in her upper mouth. The vet says she's not in pain right now, and they're afraid to operate because they don't think they could close the wound. It's only a matter of time...

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2013 - days engaged in camping so for... (28)
normh915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
My deepest sympathies for your loss. Although I try to be the strong one around the kids and wife to the point they think I don't care, I've mourned the loss, and celebrated the life, of our pets in my quiet time. Celebrate their life!
I agree with ttrost65 comments as they echo my feelings. I had to put down my Chocolate Lab "Hershey" right after her 14 year birthday. It's been over a year and I think about her almost daily. Especially during the times I spent with her most. In her 14 years she was a spectacular companion. I think sometimes it affected me more than the rest of the family. Bought the DW a puppy right before Christmas and he has attempted to fill the void. It took a long time to make the choice of getting another dog, but it is worth it. The DW tells me to get another Lab, I just can't bring myself to do it......yet. My condolences!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #29

A dog gives their owner nothing but love and affection, and it is indeed an incredibly difficult decision. But when you consider that they are in pain, and they don't understand why, there is really only one thing to do.
We have had to make that hard decision too many times, but after the initial sadness, we quickly realised that we did the right thing.
Every time you feel sad, remember all of the hugs and kisses your pup gave you over the years.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #30
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
WOW...y'all are awesome. Thank you so much for all the nice words and feelings.
We get Shadow Wood's ashes back today... was sad but we know that it was the right thing to do.

Our other remaining dog Sunny Delight seems to be adjusting well. I do work in a dog kennel and get to take her to work. She gets to play with other pups, and I think she likes being the "only" dog for now.

Again thank you so much for all your thoughts and support.
Paula, Ken and Sunny Delight

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #31

Rainbow Bridge

So sorry for your loss..... I share your pain.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've read that several times, it's very moving and reminds us of the companions that gave us so much joy and unconditional love. Still to this day it brings back so many memories and emotions... thanks for sharing.

Rick
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
I've read that several times, it's very moving and reminds us of the companions that gave us so much joy and unconditional love. Still to this day it brings back so many memories and emotions... thanks for sharing.

Rick
I hope it helps those that need it.
Brings tears to my eyes every time I read it. Makes me think of my 17 year old buddy Oscar. Boy, I miss that dog!.
crunchman
Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My son an daughter in-law Lost their German Short hair last week. I want to send them this ,but I think I'll wait ?
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
My son an daughter in-law Lost their German Short hair last week. I want to send them this ,but I think I'll wait ?
The rainbow bridge was the only thing that helped me. It gives you hope ( so to speak) to help fill the empty space in your heart, to give you peace about the tough decision you had to make for your buddy.
They will read it many times over the next month. I have been reading it for 5 years now and every time I read it, I think of that good old dog and the times we had shared together.
I printed it out and framed it for my boys so they could read it when they got to thinking about Oscar. I think it helped us all get through the tough times.
crunchman
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #36

Sorry for your loss. A dog is more than just a pet. He is a beloved family member that sometimes knows us better than we know ourselves. My heart goes out to you and in time, only fond memories will remain. Peace.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #37

So sorry for your loss, It is a hard decision to have to make. I had to make that same decision many years ago and said I would never have another dog. It hurt that much. Well 5 years ago I got another, "Mick" and he is a big part of the family. As I sit hear with tears in my eyes knowing that someday I may have to make the same decision. I truly feel your loss.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. We just put our Maddie down the end of February. She too had cancer. She had a mass removed from her shoulder and while doing that surgery they found another mass in her mouth. She lived pain free for over a year with this. We were letting it take natural progression. We came home to find her confused, unable to stand and having almost seizure like activity. We took her to the emergency vet who said it had spread yo her brain. We let her cross the rainbow bridge that night. I feel your pain. I miss her every day. My 5 yr old still talks about her and asks to hear stories about Maddie from before she was born. I can now finally tell her the stories and not cry. Your pain will ease with time but for now cry, think about shadow wood. Let the emotions come and go. But take comfort in the fact that you gave her the greatest gift of love you could have given such a dear friend and family member, you gave the gift of peace. For now, think of shadow wood as being welcomed by many other camping buddies and sleeping by the great campfire in the sky waiting for dropped marshmallows. But when your turn comes, shadow wood will be waiting for you and she will in turn show you his gratitude for your love and compassion.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #39
William

Sorry to hear of you loss.

William
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

This was posted for me when I lost my Maddie and I think it is appropriate for you too. They were right, You will cry when you read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks
Sorry for your loss. This may make you cry at this point but it also may help you with your grief:

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF AN EXTREMELY DISTINGUISHED DOG

I, Chelsea, because of the burden of my illness and realizing the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my Last Will and Testament in the mind of my Master. She will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in her loneliness, she will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask her to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master, Vicky, who I know will mourn me the most, to my companion, Will, but if I should list all those who have loved me, it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely exceptional dog.

I ask my Master to remember me always but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to her in time of sorrow and a reason for added joy in her happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause her pain. Let her remember that, while no dog ever had a happier life, I have now grown ill and pained. I should not want my pride to sink to a bewildered humiliation. It is time for me to say "good-bye". It will sorrow me to leave her but not sorrow me to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What will come to me after death? I will be in a place where one is always young; where I will someday be joined by companions I have known in life; where I will romp in lovely fields with those that have gone before me; where every hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and remembers the old brave days on earth and the love of one's Master.

This is much to expect but peace, at least, is certain, and a long rest for these weakened limbs. And eternal sleep is perhaps, after all, the best.

One last request I earnestly make. I ask her, for love of me to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have another Lab. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me, she cannot live without one! I have never had a narrow spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good. Some dogs are better than others--like me--and so I suggest a Black Lab as my successor. She can hardly be as well bred or as mannered or as distinguished and beautiful as I, but my Master must not ask the impossible. She will do her best, I am sure, and even her inevitable defects will help keep my memory green. To her I bequeath my collar and leash. I leave her my place in the car which I loved so much and wish for her long rides with open windows.

One last word of farewell, dear Master. Whenever you think of me, say to yourself with regret but also with happiness in your heart at the remembrance of my happy life with you, "She is the one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep, I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote