Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #21

Learned to drive using a 3 speed in the floor 1961 Corvair Van. While in Army AIT (MP) I was one of a very few guys in my company that could drive a manual Jeep. My first three cars were manuals and I taught my wife how to drive on a 4 speed 340 Duster. During her first lesson she went smoking the tires across a K-Mart parking lot and I had to turn off the key to keep from having a disaster! After that it worked out OK.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #22

Have you seen the you tube video of the car thieves trying to steal a manual shift car, it is hilarious.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #23
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
Actually, with all the different body panels on that pickup I’m thinking it’s not only the back we should stay away from.

I thought he was trying to camouflage it and used whatever color of paint he had laying around.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #24
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
oh yeah, the ole' speed shifting way of life, when we broke a cable or a clutch cylinder went out you still had to get it home. :-). We used to put the car in first and turn the started over to get it going. Also many times had to park at the top of a hill to be able to jump start the car in the morning. Fun times.

Not 'speed shifting' which to me brings up images of jamming the shifter between gears as fast and hard as you can. I always heard it called "floating gears". Big rig drivers pretty much HAVE to do it. As you get ready to upshift, you pull the stick into neutral, then hold it ready at the next gear. After just a second, the Trans, engine and road speeds will all match up, and it'll slide into gear slick as snot. Downshifts take a bit more practice, as you have to pop into neutral, rev the engine a little to get the speeds to match so it can slide into the lower gear. If you time it right, you won't even put any wear on the synchronizes.

I float gears about 99% of the time in my manual vehicles. I only clutch to take off, or at most between the 1-2 shift going uphill with a load. Done properly, it's much easier on the equipment.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
All my kids first cars were manual transmissions. Kept the other kids/friends from driving their car.

Well I had that idea too but.............. I taught both boys to drive a stick so they decided to teach their friends to drive theirs too....... that did not work out so well for me.................. The older son went automatic cause his wife did not like a stick. The younger son drove have way across the state to buy a 2018 with a stick........... The younger son had 210,000 on his car that he just sold with the original clutch still working fine..........

I learned on a 1975 Chevy one ton dump truck and grandpa's 1967 Plymouth Belvedere 3 on the tree. I still have two Mustangs with straight drives one is my daily driver.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #26

Had an uncle (well, I still have him) that liked to imbibe in a few too many alcoholic drinks and until I went to college and got married, I was his designated driver. He purchased a Nova with 3-on the tree and I had no idea in the world how to drive it. He told me that he would teach me while I drove him to one of his local watering holes. I had to go up an incline and stop at the stop sign, then pull out. It took me about 20 minutes, he was laughing and I was crying. I finally got us out of there, dropped him at his watering hole and kept his car for about a week. I was an expert by the time he got it back. I'm sure he had to put a new clutch in before that car was a year old! I do have to thank him - I can drive anything now from a school bus to a tractor trailer to a little 2-seater sports car. That Nova and then a Plymouth Duster just fueled my thrill at driving. My best friend purchased a new Subaru outback and special ordered a manual transmission.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #27
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I would say maybe under 30-35yo. My first car I bought when I was 19 was a '63 Chevy Impala with a 10 inch racing clutch. To hold the clutch in at a stop sign I had to lock my leg straight. While going down the road I never touched the clutch to change gears, I worked the throttle.

I'm definitely NOT younger.

BOOHOO

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #28
Gold Tee Box

Doesn't everyone know how to slip the clutch on an uphill grade?

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
Doesn't everyone know how to slip the clutch on an uphill grade?
Do what now?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:53 AM   #30
Insert witty title here

How about starting the engine by giving the car a push and popping the clutch?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:10 AM   #31
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
How about starting the engine by giving the car a push and popping the clutch?
On my 1957 VW Kharmin Ghia, parked between cars on a downtown street, I jacked up one rear wheel, put it in gear, and spun the wheel to start it.

My 1959 MGA has a crank as “auxiliary emergency starter”. Occasionally I will crank start it at a gas station “just because”.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
How many of the younger crowd that can drive a manual know how to shift between gears without the clutch?
Well..........try this.........how many know how to shift a 400hp Yellow GoFast without taking your foot off of the accelerator, which is pegged to the floor?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Well..........try this.........how many know how to shift a 400hp Yellow GoFast without taking your foot off of the accelerator, which is pegged to the floor?

That type of person is called a "Cab Driver" in New York! Youroo!!