Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Site Team

Spare tires fading out

We have been seeing several vehicles without any spare tires (even a temp type) in our business. I read the following article from Tire Business this morning. I thought it would be informative for our members, who may be purchasing a new vehicle and not realize they may be missing a spare tire until they are broke down on the side of the road. This is something you will need to check for at the time of purchase.

For many drivers, the spare tire in the trunk is going the way of carburetors and VHS tapes. Automakers are selling more cars with four wheels and tires instead of five to trim weight, boost gas mileage and save money.
Since getting rid of the spare tire is a way to shed up to 50 pounds, it's an easy target as auto engineers struggle to reduce a car's weight ounce-by-ounce.

Demands for higher fuel economy by drivers and the government led to the creation of the temporary spare tire in the 1980s. Since spare tires are not required by federal safety regulations, the same pressures now may eliminate the spare tire entirely.

The benefits of eliminating the spare are too big for most automakers to ignore. Engineers struggle to reduce a car’s weight by ounces, and getting rid of the spare tire is a way to shed up to 50 pounds. Generally, a 10% reduction in vehicle weight yields a 6% improvement in fuel economy – and spare tires and jacks are easy targets.

Gaining a 10th of a mile per gallon in federal fuel economy tests is important in meeting ever-expanding CAFE standards. Those pounds and ounces may allow an automaker to reach 29.5 mpg on a vehicle – which can be rounded up to 30 mpg on the window sticker.

The consumer benefits too; a 1 mpg difference in fuel efficiency may save more than $100 per year, according to the Department of Energy. If an owner drives 100,000 miles carrying around a spare tire they never use, it burns a lot of extra gasoline. Also, deleting the spare often provides more trunk space.

The cost savings to auto manufacturers are substantial: eliminating the spare saves at least $20 per car. In the 2012 model year, approximately 15% of new cars came without spare tires. With the exception of pickups and SUVs likely to be driven off-road, the trend for most vehicles is to eliminate the spare. In most cases, a spare won’t even be offered as optional equipment – and there may not even be a place to put a spare.

Fortunately, fewer motorists need to change tires anymore. In addition to technical improvements that have made flats less likely, TPMS provides drivers with warnings of low air pressure, leaks and punctures. Often that means the tire gets properly inflated or fixed before it goes flat or before damage occurs, resulting in a blowout.

When tire failures do occur, drivers increasingly rely on roadside assistance services to take care of the problem. With help easily available through cell phones, many people simply choose not (or don’t know how) to deal with flat tires – even if they have a spare. Drivers may still fear being stranded, but the almost universal use of cell phones has made that much less likely – whether or not they have a spare.

Run-Flat Solution
So how is the owner of a no spare car supposed to deal with a flat?

Many expensive cars are opting for run-flat tires, which can be driven at moderate speeds for 50 miles or so with a puncture. The reinforcement built into run-flats supports the weight of the car and is designed to allow a driver to find a safe spot to stop, rather than being stranded in an unsafe place or on the side of a highway. But, since run-flats are limited to 50 miles after they lose air pressure, if a motorist is too far from civilization, they may not help much.

Run-flats also are much more expensive and have a shorter tread life than a comparable conventional tire. Frequently, run-flats are not widely stocked and many consumers complain about ride quality and noise. The fuel savings from eliminating the weight of a spare tire may be erased by the more frequent replacement of the more expensive run-flats.

Flat-Fixing Kits
As an alternative, many OEMs are replacing spare tires with “mobility kits” designed to fix most flats. These consist of a can of sealant that is injected through the valve stem to plug the puncture, and a small electric compressor to reinflate the tire.

Tire mobility kits typically weigh less than six pounds, compared to 30 for a temporary spare and 50 or more pounds for a full-size spare. Unfortunately, they, too, have drawbacks. The kits generally only work on punctures of 1/4-inch or less in the tread or shoulder areas of the tire. Blowouts, cuts, cracks and sidewall damage that potholes frequently inflict on low-profile tires cannot be repaired by the kits.

Using these kits is pretty simple: plug the unit into a 12-volt power outlet (cigarette lighter), and connect the air hose from the compressor to the tire valve. Once the sealant tank is flipped up, the compressor re-inflates the tire and fills the tire with a latex-based liquid sealant, which seals the puncture. This usually takes five to seven minutes. Then, the tire can be used at a maximum speed of 50 mph for up to 125 miles.

The instructions on most kits suggest driving four or five miles and then rechecking the inflation pressure with the built-in pressure gauge. Standard pencil, dial or digital tire pressure gauges should not be used because they can be ruined by the sealant. After using the mobility kit, the sealed tire should be driven to the nearest tire shop and inspected to determine whether it can be permanently repaired or must be replaced.

Demounting a tire after it’s been treated with sealant requires a little extra care. As an example, the Dunlop Tech Instant Mobility System (installed in more than 90 models) website offers the following instructions:

• Remove tire valve and deflate tire. Be sure to keep the valve in the upper area of the tire so that the residual fluid may gather in the lower area of the tire...

• Unseat tire from rim flange on both sides.

• Demount upper bead from the rim flange.

• Now...look into the inside of the tire. You can easily recognize the fluid tire sealant in the lower area of the tire. Absorb the residual fluid with a suitable device and collect it in an appropriate container.

• Once all liquid has been absorb*ed, the lower bead can be demounted from the wheel.

• Now clean any sealant residues from the inner wheel surfaces, by means of an absorbent cloth or paper ...rub dry the inside of the tire...

• For safety reasons, we recommend the replacement of the tire.

The instructions for Continental’s ContiComfortKit (OE for BMW, Ford, Volvo and others) offer similar guidance:

• “Removing the sealant: Scoop the sealant out of the tire with a suitable device (an industrial ladle is ideal for this). Use rags to soak up any remains of the sealant and dispose of the rags and sealant in accordance with local waste disposal regulations.”

The sealant used in most kits will interfere with TPMS sensors, possibly leading to error prompts and incorrect pressure readings. The documentation of some mobility kits notes that the sealant can be cleaned from the TPMS sensor and the sensor reused. Others disagree; the 2011 Ford Taurus owner’s manual states, “After sealant use, the TPMS sensor and valve stem on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer.”

At the same time, the driver now not only faces replacing a damaged tire, but replacing a damaged TPMS sensor, as well.

Another potential problem for consumers is the limited life span of the sealant. Sealant canisters all have “use by dates,” which owners are advised to check. Depending on the kit, the sealant canister typically should be replaced after four or five years. It’s not hard to imagine that sealant canister “use by dates” will probably be checked by most consumers about as often as they check spare tire inflation pressures.

In addition to their OE fitments, both the Continental and Dunlop kits are aimed at consumers who don’t have a spare, but don’t want to purchase replacement run-flat tires. They weigh a little more than five pounds each, can easily be stored in the trunk of a vehicle, and both also can be used to check and monitor tire pressure through a built-in compressor and tire gauge.

Stop & Go International offers an alternative tire mobility kit that combines a compressor with a Pocket Tire Plugger, necessary hand tools and mushroom-shaped rubber plugs to repair punctures. The mushroom head of the plug is designed to seal the puncture and allows for the resumption of normal highway speeds. By avoiding spray-in tire sealant, Stop & Go claims to avoid the potential for damage to TPMS sensors and the necessity for a tire dismount.

However, the advisability of using a plugged, rather than a properly repaired tire, is a real issue.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

I've noticed this at work. It seems the "eco's" do this more commonly, but vets, pontiac solstice, saturn skys have done it for years and new camaros, and some of the chevy cruze/ buick venzas are doing it too. At least these are the ones I've noticed. Sux when they are wrecked and you need a spare just to role it in the shop!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Reviving this thread from 2012:

I just saw where ABC's Good Morning America did a news segment on this:

https://gma.yahoo.com/gma-investigat...pstories.html#

I loved the part where they said car manufacturers stated that flat tires were rare. That is news to me, and the amount of repair materials I purchase each week...... to repair these 'rare" flat tires. LOL

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Um yeah, I swear my old armada had magnetized rims for the amount of metal I found in my tires.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

Yea it has concerned me for some time my parents in their mid 80s have a Chevy Cruze with no spare fortunately they do not go far but............ I can't see them walking along side of the road....... I think their Cruize is a 2013.

Fortunately our cars the 2010 Mustang and 2014 Honda have a spare...... The 2014 is just over a year old but has 53K on it already (on its second set of tires) ..... The previous 05 CRV that had a full spare and it saw use a few times......... The 2011 Subaru (Junk) also saw its spare used..........

I don't know if it is still the case but 3/4 ton pickups and heavier always had the spare being an option. I know my 1992 F250 was $450 option

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fortunately DH's camaro and my silverado 3500 both have a spare. I would get a junker rim and tire and throw it in the trunk of the cruze for them.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

Ram trucks still offer spare tires on them either the temp. spare or a full size if ordered. I do not think a spare tire will effect the overall fuel mileage savings on a full size pick-up truck.

In fact my wife's VW TDI Jetta has a full size spare in the trunk of the car.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Site Team

We had a lady yesterday, who have a nail in her sidewall, thus ruining the tire. She told us to put her spare tire on and she couldn't buy a new tire. This was when she found out her vehicle wasn't equipped with a spare...so she had no choice but to purchase a tire.

She was NOT, and I repeat, not happy.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

My new Volt has no spare and also the new 2016 Charger has none. Knew this when I bought it and none are available for the Charger due to type wheel on car. Volt same way as they use different rims for front and rear so non interchangeable. To expensive to buy so one has to go to a junk yard and find a certain wheel that came off a Cadillac which will fit the Volt. Ya and no jacks either. At least my 71 Monte has a spare and so does my new truck. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #10

Why would ya need a spare ????????

DIL ran over this in a construction zone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4501.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	98218  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Why would ya need a spare ????????

DIL ran over this in a construction zone

No problem, just put an inner tube in it.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
No problem, just put an inner tube in it.

Aside from Bicycles and farm/heavy equipment. I have not seen much in the way of tubes since sold my 1954 Ford Anglia.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #13

I carry a spare for the same reason I carry "personal protection". Flats are rare but they still happen. Just like, I bet it is rare to get attacked by either an animal or person in the national parks, but it happens.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The manufacturers are all trying to save money, space, weight. Our Audi has a spare that you have to inflate with a 12 volt air pump (provided)!! Imagine how much fun that would be! It makes me shudder.

Run flat tires are expensive AND they ride like a buckboard.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #15
Citrus County, Fl.

To save money, the Forester 2251 LE (means cheap) does not have a spare. DW's cousin took his 17000 mile trip to Alaska without one.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
To save money, the Forester 2251 LE (means cheap) does not have a spare. DW's cousin took his 17000 mile trip to Alaska without one.
Now that's living dangerously Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #17

It's not just cars, rvs too. About 9 years ago we found a travel trailer at a dealer that we liked and wanted. While sitting in the office and going through the purchase process, I asked where the spare tire was. I got a response that there is no spare but for $500 I could purchase one. We got up and walked out.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #18

In regards to the OP's statement about "Temp spares" were from the 80's,our New 1967 Firebird 400 had a Temp spare and a Can of Propellent to fill it! Youroo!! The tires on the ground were "Goodyear Blue Streaks"
Old 05-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
It's not just cars, rvs too. About 9 years ago we found a travel trailer at a dealer that we liked and wanted. While sitting in the office and going through the purchase process, I asked where the spare tire was. I got a response that there is no spare but for $500 I could purchase one. We got up and walked out.
Spare tires have always been an option on travel trailers. This is nothing new. Most dealers add them or order one with the trailer though...... A spare tire was an option on our 1988 Terry back in the day.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 05-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #20

Our 2016 FR Heritage Glen came with a full size spare mounted on a white spoke rim. On the first trip, a fist size chunk of tire came off within 97 miles. Called AAA and they changed the tire the next morning at our campsite.

Dealer got the tire replace, but the following week, I replaced the Castle Rock tires with Maxxis from Discount Tire and had a Dill tire monitoring system installed too.

I would never go anywhere without a spare. Can't imagine driving 17000 miles to Alaska without a spare. Especially on the roads to there.
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote