Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #1

Maryland Vs. Pennsylvania

Last year we had a seasonal site for the first time and loved it. We camped just about every weekend. With this change in our life style I am not home much on the weekends and this means not a lot of work gets done around the house. My daughter will be graduating from college this Spring and my son is trying to decide on what he is going to do for a career now that he is out of school, with that said my wife and I were thinking on selling the house and down sizing. Currently we are looking to build one more house before retirement in Pennsylvania. We both were born and raised in Maryland, so moving to another state fells weird.
For those members here on the forum that have moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania or Pennsylvania to Maryland could you shed some light on this thought, some pro's and con's, is it a good move? and if not why.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #2

PA

"You have a friend in Pennsylvania..."

TacBear
TacBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #3

Well our seasonal site is in Hershey which is about 2 hours away from where we live now and I travel to Chantilly Va to work and that's about a 2 hour trip one way. If we move to Hanover Pa I would be adding 15 miles more. At this time we do not know anyone that lives in Pa. The house that we are in now we had built in 1980 and had added on to it so now it is time to down size.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Why would anyone want to leave this wonderful Tax & Spend State where our representatives want to give breaks to Illegal Aliens for State School Tuition that they don't give to the people that were born here. I've lived here all my life and when I retire I'll be moving from here {The Free State} boy, that's a mile off isn't it. Canada is looking better all the time with those geniuses in DC that want to do a Walletectomy on me for Obama Care.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Why would anyone want to leave this wonderful Tax & Spend State where our representatives want to give breaks to Illegal Aliens for State School Tuition that they don't give to the people that were born here. I've lived here all my life and when I retire I'll be moving from here {The Free State} boy, that's a mile off isn't it. Canada is looking better all the time with those geniuses in DC that want to do a Walletectomy on me for Obama Care.
cfsoistman, I found out a few things about Pa.
#1 School taxes are taken out of payroll deduction in Maryland, but in Pa it is taken out of real estate taxes and the taxes are higher in Pa. Pa puts more money in there school system, but I don't know if Pa schools are any better and come tax time there are more deductions on real estate because of this.
#2 Pa does not take out state tax on retirement. I am looking at another 6 years yet.
Still trying to get more info on Pa, house is not on the market yet and working out the details with the builder, if this all comes about we may be living in our Rockwood til the house is complete. Thanks for your reply. As far as a foreign language I am not good at it, but I am good with the international sign language.......
Old 12-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

If I had one choice other than a warmer climate it would be around the Lancaster area of PA. We camp there regularly each year. We really just love the area. Once you're off the main routes such as Rte 30 it becomes a different world. It's so peaceful and isn't so rush rush as around our area. I still have quite a while to go. I just turned 51 but I'm thinking about it. It just worries me that with all the added taxes and new taxes Maryland officials and DC are going to hand out in the next few years where the money will come from to retire or just survive until that time. It's a scary time to live in the USA.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #7

We lived in Maryland for some 30 years and then moved to VA rather than PA. By crossing the river into VA, our taxes and everyday expenses dropped 30%. Maryland is listed as the 3rd most expensive state to retire in.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
If I had one choice other than a warmer climate it would be around the Lancaster area of PA. We camp there regularly each year. We really just love the area. Once you're off the main routes such as Rte 30 it becomes a different world. It's so peaceful and isn't so rush rush as around our area. I still have quite a while to go. I just turned 51 but I'm thinking about it. It just worries me that with all the added taxes and new taxes Maryland officials and DC are going to hand out in the next few years where the money will come from to retire or just survive until that time. It's a scary time to live in the USA.
I have been thinking about this move for about 5 years now, moving out of Maryland to somewhere. I just turn 56 myself and can't wait to make a move.
We had our house built in 1980 and so we have been there 30 years.
Yesterday we spend time with another builder in Hanover and he has a house similar to what we are looking for, my wife and I had talked it over and it look like we are going to put a contract on it today. The house is near completion.
Another thing I just found out is that the payroll deductions for the state of PA is 3%, in Maryland It is 9%, so we will clear a little more on our weekly pay.
The biggest thing that was holding us back from doing this earlier is my daughter, she is now in her last year of college and attends Lycoming College in Williams Port Pa. She will graduate with a bachelors degree in Accounting and plans on moving to Philadelphia after Graduation.....Why Philadelphia, I do not know. I hope she changes her mine between now and May. My son is having a tough time with the Idea of moving.
If this all works out both my wife and I will have a longer commute to work, I will have an extra 15 miles to travel to Northern VA, which will be added to the 80 I already travel. We thought about VA as well, but housing is a little high for me at least near where I work.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
We lived in Maryland for some 30 years and then moved to VA rather than PA. By crossing the river into VA, our taxes and everyday expenses dropped 30%. Maryland is listed as the 3rd most expensive state to retire in.

Glad you got out, It sound like you are happy. Now that you are in VA is there another state that you would prefer?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #10

As far as real estate taxes here in PA go, they are based on the school district you are in. There is a very wide descrepency, and you could be 1/4 mile away from some one who pays much less/more than you. We have been told by our fearless leaders in the capital that tax relief is coming because the passed the almighty GAMBLING law. First we got slots, but taxes didn't really change. This year, the knuckleheads couldn't even get a budget passed, so now we are getting table games to supplement the budget, and I'm still waiting for my tax relief!!! One other thing that I know for sure- PA is one of only a handful of states that will not let you deduct your 401k savings from your yearly tax. Sort of like paying tax on it twice, if you work and retire here. Another thing you may want to consider is the roads (LOL) around here. We are not know for having the smoothest asphalt in the country, and sometimes with that big ole' 5er back there it can rattle your teeth! Good luck with your plans!!
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mike View Post
As far as real estate taxes here in PA go, they are based on the school district you are in. There is a very wide discrepancy, and you could be 1/4 mile away from some one who pays much less/more than you. We have been told by our fearless leaders in the capital that tax relief is coming because the passed the almighty GAMBLING law. First we got slots, but taxes didn't really change. This year, the knuckleheads couldn't even get a budget passed, so now we are getting table games to supplement the budget, and I'm still waiting for my tax relief!!! One other thing that I know for sure- PA is one of only a handful of states that will not let you deduct your 401k savings from your yearly tax. Sort of like paying tax on it twice, if you work and retire here. Another thing you may want to consider is the roads (LOL) around here. We are not know for having the smoothest asphalt in the country, and sometimes with that big ole' 5er back there it can rattle your teeth! Good luck with your plans!!
Thanks for the info. For the past few weeks we have spent a lot of time checking out PA and we were told about the tax structure and how it was connected to the schools. Tonight if everything go's well we plan on putting a contract on a new house that is almost finished in Hanover which is the Penn Township. As far as the roads, I know what you mean, they are a little rough, but that's ok I drive Chevy's Thanks