Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Meguiars cleaners,polishing and wax compounds

Has anyone had any experience with the Meguiars Marine/RV line of products. I was thinking about using the #50 cleaner wax. I didn't know if I needed to follow up with #45 polish and then the #56 pure wax. The front cap on my fifth wheel has some light oxidation and swirl marks and the sides have some spotty hazing probably the beginnings of light oxidation. I was looking at trying to restore the gel coat to it's bright shine. I have since I purchased it in 2010 kept it washed and cleaned. I have used the Nu finish on it a few times but with not much luck. I do not have an orbital polisher and no experience with one either. So, whatever I use will be applied by hand and removed the same way.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

I use all three that you mention - also by hand - always felt it came out looking good. To me the step one using the cleaner makes sense.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #3

You mention that you use all three of these products. Do you have any tips, does or don'ts. My camper is 40 foot long and extremely tall. It'll probably take me a whole weekend to do all three all the way around the camper.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
WFD

There is another thread in here where users talk about using the MArine/RV polish #50 and are extremely happy with it. They never mentioned using it in conjunction with another product. Just on its on, and seem happy with it. I just picked some up and plan on tackling the 5th soon...wasn't thinking of using anything else. In the past I have used Nu Finish as well, and found it looks good at first but doesn't have the lasting effect. Times I have used the Nu Finish, it was a 2 day job, all by hand.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
You mention that you use all three of these products. Do you have any tips, does or don'ts. My camper is 40 foot long and extremely tall. It'll probably take me a whole weekend to do all three all the way around the camper.
On my previous trailer the decals cracked & started culling after 6 or 7 years - I have read on these forums that some think it was because of the wax I was using.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptypockets View Post

On my previous trailer the decals cracked & started culling after 6 or 7 years - I have read on these forums that some think it was because of the wax I was using.
From what I have read and personally used myself...the 303 Aero protectant is the only fool proof wax for decals if you don't want them to peel and crack...it's all I ever use for camper decals and use different wax for the gel coat

Old 08-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #7

When u apply the polish and wax it helps to use a big damp sponge. U will be able to apply more at one time.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #8

Still trying to figure out why the decals on trailers are different than the decals used on other vehicles. I have used synthetic polish on my Vettes, Trucks, Hummers and no decals have ever cracked or peeled off.
Maybe they are....guess I'll find out eventually since I use Zaino on the trailer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wax