Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #11

I have used the Surface for the past few months since the Surface 2 came out. I have used the keyboard but also purchased a wireless keyboard so that I could have the surface on a table and still type. Apps are few in number and also some issues with certain e-books and other digital magazines. But working through them all. The DW has the kindle fire HD and she loves it. Yes, we do have a hot spot for wireless connection. Been working great -- even tho' we are not camping yet since we have several inches of snow on the ground and frost in the ground. Come on Spring.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Do they come with Microsoft Office installed?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Anyone have one of these with the typing keyboard? Comments.
I bought a Surface RT and added the type 2 keyboard, It works great. I frist got the touch key board and if you didn't touch each key in the center it wouldn't type like a computer. Sent that back and got the lighted one and it just like typing now. Been happy with it. I wish they had a better gps direction program but they are working on it now. The apps are cheap maybe 1.99 each. You have to buy them from the store ms. But they keep adding them more and more. Battery life is great last a long time. What it is like is a computer almost, came with windows 8 and free download for 8.1. I got a refurbished one for 230.00 dollars and then I bought the type2 keyboard for 139.00. I have the internet, yahoo and google. The mapping program I use is Map Pro. I e mail the developer and tell her what I like and dislike about it, but it will give you correct routes not like Garmin. Also map pro will give you spoken directions but it will not show where you are at on the route. I think it's just like a little computer. For the money it was worth it. The Surface pro you can write on the screen and do some other neat things. Looked at the Ipad and it was to much money for me. You have a front and rear camera and a video. Plus you get skydrive free to store files. I got an app for 7.95 with 10.5 hrs of training for it. I also bought a 32gig storage card for it. about 39.00. So I can store files either drive. It's 64 bit for the money and first one I tried I think it's worth the money. Comes pre loaded with word, excel, note book and outlook just like a lap top. You can type either on the keyboard or on the screen. Hope that helps you OLD GOAT...... with the pro you can make notes written. Both will let you open to or 3 apps together and share the screen and work back and forth. I would get the Pro if I had the money for what I paid I can't complain. They also have a ton of free apps. You save storage by sending them to the sd card or skydrive.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
Site Team

The tablet has removable keyboard and touch screen. The windows 8 notebook has attached keyboard and touch screen. It was under $300 at Christmas.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
Site Team

Wife working on notebook. Tablet in foreground.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395002625291.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	47831  

Old 03-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #16

Here we go old man, My surface rt next to my lap top with the type 2 key board attached, also will pick up WiFI at any camp ground or your router.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surface next to my lap top 001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	47833  
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Here we go old man, My surface rt next to my lap top with the type 2 key board attached, also will pick up WiFI at any camp ground or your router.
Thanks for the pictures guys. I will probably go with the Surface Pro with the typing keyboard. I do hope they have MS Office installed.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #18

Last I heard it comes with office for free
Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #19
Site Team

Yes! Asus has office free. Word. Powerpoint, Excel. Etc.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Thanks for the pictures guys. I will probably go with the Surface Pro with the typing keyboard. I do hope they have MS Office installed.
It will no problem there, but order the stylus pen for it to, so you can write on the screen, get it from them. Also I got from amazon I think it is called the EEEKIT, comes with a mouse and cables and also a 4 port hub so you can run your thumb drives and mouse at the same time. 21.00 bucks and works as good as the MS mouse. You can use the mouse or sylus pen at the same time it handy for the money.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k