Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Minnesota checking state of residence

This morning while sitting in bed we noticed someone writing down the license numbers of our vehicles. I went out and they took off I got their license plate number. My wife went to the Police dept to check it out. It turns out they were from Minnesota Criminal Vehicle Investigation. We were told we checked out as our residence is in Texas. The police wouldn't tell us what they were investigating. It turns out they were looking for people who live in Minnesota but have their rvs registered elsewhere. We feel violated it looked like they were casing our stuff for future theft.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #2

Keep an eye out for sure. I stopped a car one time in front of my house snapping pictures and driving slowly. Turns out he was a realtor getting comparable houses for a listing close by.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #3

Just wondering where you were (in Minn.) when this occured.

Jaye(Mn)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #4

Just another waste of government resources. Can't convince me that is such a big problem to justify the salaries of a team of people to have that as their job.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
This morning while sitting in bed we noticed someone writing down the license numbers of our vehicles. I went out and they took off I got their license plate number. My wife went to the Police dept to check it out. It turns out they were from Minnesota Criminal Vehicle Investigation. We were told we checked out as our residence is in Texas. The police wouldn't tell us what they were investigating. It turns out they were looking for people who live in Minnesota but have their rvs registered elsewhere. We feel violated it looked like they were casing our stuff for future theft.
I am told that it is not unusual for Police to check plate numbers of vehicles that are parked at hotels,motels, etc. for possible being stolen or wanted for outstanding warrants.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #6

Apparently they are looking for people who live in Minnesota and are registered in another state for taxeslike Montana. I also learned they strongarm rv parks to allow them to go through their registration books without a warrant. It might be anywhere in Minnesota.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #7

Here in CA they are doing that with cars. DMV costs are high here and I guess there is a growing problem with people registering their vehicles in Oregon or Nevada to avoid the higher fees. Now police are ticketing them if they have been living in state for more than 3 months with out of state plates-with hefty fines. Guess they are looking to balance the budget any way they can.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyrarnold View Post
Here in CA they are doing that with cars. DMV costs are high here and I guess there is a growing problem with people registering their vehicles in Oregon or Nevada to avoid the higher fees. Now police are ticketing them if they have been living in state for more than 3 months with out of state plates-with hefty fines. Guess they are looking to balance the budget any way they can.
I can understand (I think) what the objective is here, but how can authorities determine by simply looking at a plate number if you are from out of state without knowing who the vehicle owner is? And wouldn't that involve checking drivers licenses or vehicle regristration papers for a match?

And isn't probable cause required, such as stopping you for a moving vehicle violation) before the Police can ask you for your drivers license or vehicle regristration papers?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
phat phrog stunt crew

is minnesotas dept of revenue or dmv that hard up for cash?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #10

They checked enough to to know we are fulltimers with an escapee's address!