Old 09-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
We cut the cord a couple of years ago after Comcast raised my rates 1 to many times.....the last without even notifying me. I called and told them I was going to discontinue their service, but no breaks were offered. When I called to discontinue the service, they were all over themselves with better offers.........too late !!

I installed an outside antennae that picks up 22 channels......some channels are broadcast from about 75 miles away with a small mountain in between. Surprisingly, my trailer sitting in the driveway is the reason I tried OTA broadcast........I could get 22 channels with that, so why pay cable charges if I could get the same in my house ??

We do pay the $8 per month for Netflix streaming, but we would have done that even if we stuck with cable.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #12
We have Dish and guessing we pay around $75/mo. (DW pays the bills). We also have Netflix streaming. I watch ten minutes of news in the morning, Peoples Court at noon and half an hour of HGTV on the weekend. In the evenings it is strictly Netflix, no commercials for me.

comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Oh PLEASE don't make me go up into the attic again. I hate going into the attic.

Anyway, here's the latest. Last weekend the amplifier that I ordered came in and I installed it into the basement. From there I ran a line through the basement to both the bedroom and the living room. I started with the living room and to give you an idea how things went, I drilled down through the floor rather than going through the wall and as luck would have it I hit the floor joist dead center. I spent an hour with a stud finder and was able to make it work. I did it all by myself and made several hundred trips up and down the stairs. This is really a two person job.

Moving forward...Here is what I bought. I also put terminators on the unused ports. So far it has worked great with one exception. Two days ago when they were installing the new fascia on the house I lost channel 7.2 which is ME TV (a channel I adore and better than most on Direct TV IMHO). It only came back again after they were done. I'm thinking they were clearly interfering with the signal.

Anyway, things have worked out so well that I pulled the plug on the Direct TV DVR on Monday. By pulling the plug I mean I just yanked the power cord...for now. It's a test. So far no withdrawals.
That is great news. Since it works, stay out of the attic.
2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2010 Toyota Tundra 4WD
lswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
1 basic cell phone piggy backed on the in laws, no internet, no satellite or cable. I figure the average family of 4 spends close to $400/mo. on all of these services. That pretty much covers our camper payment and what we budget to go camping on.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
We have Netflix and hulu plus on a roku player. We love it. Have not had cable for 4 years now, and don't miss it.
michael baldauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #16
Two weeks now without Direct TV turned on. The power cord is still pulled on the DVR. At some point in time I'll turn it back on, watch or record the movies I had on the DVR and make the call to send it back. regrets yet.
2012 Ford F-150 EB 3.73
2015 Forest River 25RR
2004 Honda GL1800
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
But you'll miss Walking Dead... and American Horror Story... and Falling Skies...

Falling Skies final season is next year, I think Walking Dead the year after, I can live without AHS... maybe in a couple years I'll cut the cord, lol.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
I don't watch any of those but I could of sworn that I saw Walking Dead on Netflix last night advertised. I could be wrong about that though. At any rate, I won't miss, missing them.

2012 Ford F-150 EB 3.73
2015 Forest River 25RR
2004 Honda GL1800
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote