Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

My "eyes" to the World..

Since retirement I no longer travel outside the Country - my Wife, however, is still working and goes "somewhere" about every week - so, she is now my eyes for viewing interesting places.

I thought viewers here might also appreciate seeing some of the places to which she travels, so I'm posting a few - enjoy 'em, I do..:

(an interesting note ref the gal in the 1st 2 pics (Frankfurt)..she was fortunate enough to win a lottery position in the IronMan Triathlon, Kona, Hi, a few years ago.. She didn't know how to swim so she took lessons - hadn't ridden a bicycle since she was a kid so she bought one - did run middle distance events in school but had never run a marathon. long story short, she entered and FINISHED)

Frankfurt

Paris

Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #2

London

Belfast

Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #3

Tokyo (Narita)

Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks for sharing!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Anacortesians

She gets around! I used to do that when I worked for Boeing, but for some odd reason, I got shunted into the group that handled VIP conversions and some of the airlines of the Middle East. Trips to Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Bahrain, Qatar and Brunei lost their lustre very quickly. There were some to places that did conversions for VIP airplanes (Waco, TX, Frankfurt, Germany and Basel, Switzerland), but not enough to make up for the ***t details.

After McDonnell-Douglas bought out Boeing with Boeing's money, things turned really nasty. Business Class travel was rescinded, as were stop-overs on long trips. Seattle-London-Dubai (26 hours straight through) in tourist and being expected to go to work 2 hours after you checked in to the hotel got old really quickly! The year I decided to retire, I'd spent 29 weeks out of the country and none of the trips were longer than 10 days. I had almost 600,000 frequent flier miles at the time I retired, most of which belonged to the company.

Could I afford to retire at 57? Not really, but dying in harness didn't look too enticing either. After a couple of years, I tried being a transit coach driver for a while. That sure was a pleasant change!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Wow.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
She gets around! ..
Yes she does..

I (sorta) know of what you're talkin' - I was lucky enough to do a "normal" retirement before Continental got together with united - tho, as of today, the Wife says there's been not a lot of visible transition...

she's also been picking-up some 1 day domestic trips (for the extra $s, in anticipation of the XMas spending) - not sure anyone is interested in Chicago or Newark pics (of course I'm sure!).. she did send those pics of Boeing's new plastic plane's interior (787) while on a San Fran trip, which I posted in another thread in the "Off Topic" section

Happy T Day everyone.....Bill
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

OK, trying to forget what Newark looks like, so no thanks! Long time ago, right after deregualtion (sorry if that brings back nightmares) I did traffic reporting along rts 1&9 and I95 in a Cessna C150 by Newark. Lost a magneto and had to land at Linden one time.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #9

poor guy - being "above" Newark isn't too much better than being at ground level (well, a little..).....Bill
Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #10

Just because you're retired you don't have to quit traveling overseas. For me,the reason I retired was so that I could travel overseas. I enjoy RVing, but I also love to travel to foreign countries.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #11

I don't "have to" quit overseas traveling, it's my choice - I've seen (almost) all of the foreign places that I had on my younger days "wanna go to" list (the Greek Islands remain unseen and they're gonna remain that way..) - everything I want to see is right here - in the good old US of A (well, everything West of the Mississippi anyway..).....Bill
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Made 3 trips overseas to France, but in the last 2.5 yrs with Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control as a quality engr, I accumulated 499,976 miles according to Delta and never went farther west than Denver. Most of it from the Mississippi River east. 8 -10 different planes a week just gets old along with 2-4 different motels, 2-4 different rental cars, etc., 15-20 restaurant meals. Not fun after a while. Heart attack on a plane in St. Louis in Nov05 and hung it up 31Jul06.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Made 3 trips overseas to France, but in the last 2.5 yrs with Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control as a quality engr, I accumulated 499,976 miles according to Delta and never went farther west than Denver. Most of it from the Mississippi River east. 8 -10 different planes a week just gets old along with 2-4 different motels, 2-4 different rental cars, etc., 15-20 restaurant meals. Not fun after a while. Heart attack on a plane in St. Louis in Nov05 and hung it up 31Jul06.

Your a smart guy to quit, not many get the second chance , enjoy yourself.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Your a smart guy to quit, not many get the second chance , enjoy yourself.
Not very smart, but sure got tired of the grind. Met some wonderful, very smart people, but after 10 yrs of traveling every week and the last 2.5 yrs...