Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

Need Thoughts about getting a Window

Hey, guys, I am renovating my house. It's a major renovation so I am replacing all the windows. I did some research online and I came across a blog that mentioned some tips ( Best Windows For A New Home | Landmark Home Solutions ) on choosing new windows. I live way up north so the winters can be very bitter. I am looking for windows that are energy efficient and durable in all climatic conditions. I did get a few quotes from some companies but I don't know what kind of windows to select. I don't have any specific price or brand name in mind. If you guys could help me out here. It would be great.
AndreaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #2

I replaced all of the windows in my home last summer as a result from a bad hail storm.

We couldn't afford fiberglass or fiberglass composite windows and went instead with Vinyl windows and spend extra money for extra energy efficient glass and thermal/UV protection.

Let me tell you, the UV protection is AWESOME! We have about 32 windows on the South side of our home on 3 levels and Colorado sunshine 300 days of year made it very hot inside. Our A/C ran continuously and it was difficult to get the home down to a comfortable temperature. With the new windows, the sun doesn't heat up our home anymore and A/C runs very little! Only downside is that we run our heat a little more in the winter months as we don't have UV heat from the sun passing thru the windows that that's ok as the new windows keep heat in better.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #3

Thanks a lot skyliner that was really helpful.
AndreaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:20 AM   #4

For what its worth I have 30+ years of mostly commercial and Industrial construction experience with some residential, the last 20 in construction management. If its a major renovation, which I take to mean you are willing to adjust opening sizes? That gives you many more options if it's the case. Are you replacing exterior siding?

If you can go with "new" windows as opposed to made to size "replacement" windows you'll be better off although there are some really good replacement windows now days.

I'd recommend Pella or Marvin and I would stay away from anything vinyl. Vinyl clad exterior such as Anderson is ok IMO, total vinyl construction are typically junk. With windows you really get what you pay for. Depending on the brand 100% fiberglass are good options also.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 AM   #5

I have been replacing my windows over a two-year period. Why? Cost I am not into financing them since we are retired and just budget the purchasing cost each year for replacement. Therefore, I want to be able to match them as I replace them, same outside look and inside trim look.

I have decided against wood window replacements. Why? Most wood windows are now made with SOUTHERN YELLOW PINE a soft wood and no hardwoods in them. These need a lot of maintenance to keep them from rotting in 15 to 20 years’ time period even if they are AL clad. So, I started to search for a replacement window that would meet my needs with a very good energy efficiency rating. I found a very good replacement window called “Sunrise Windows” which meets my needs. The biggest item is the installation team and how will they install a window. The Sunrise windows come with lifetime warranties that cover the entire window, window hardware and screen plus glass breakage. I also live in the northern IL area which can get pretty brutal during the winter.

Tags
window