Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #41
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Has anyone else banned food from your truck? The wife seems to think that it is a bit overboard to not allow the kids to eat in the truck. I disagree of course (especially Cheetos). Hey kids, when you buy a $70,000 truck. Go ahead and do what ever you want to it. But in my truck, sit down, shut up, and enjoy the view.
Everyone has an opinion and THEIR way of doing things.
The OP asked for opinions about how each of us would handle this situation so I'm a bit surprised at the astonishment shown when people actually give an opinion. If you don't want to hear how others would handle something, don't ask.

With that said... MY OPINION is... it is just a truck.

It' simply a material thing.
It has no feelings and no life.
It is spiritless and simply presents itself, however you present it.
It's just a big chunk of steel, plastic and man made materials.
It can be cleaned, repaired or replaced should something happen.

Kids/grandkids on the other hand, are anything but that and can never be replaced.
I'd rather my kids/grandkids enjoy themselves on a trip, than to be regimented to the point (see bold red above) where they themselves, become inanimate.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #42

My last truck, a 2002 Ford F-250 Diesel Crew, was ate in and dogs rode in it all the time. Had 215,000 miles on it and sold it this year for much more than blue book. 15 years of good memories is worth a lot. Ride it hard and enjoy every mile.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #43

Quote:
I am choosing wrong and being harsh because I don’t want my kids eating food in my truck? Or am I teaching them how to be respectful of other people’s space? How to maintain nice things. Work hard and take care of what you have. I also don’t let them eat on our couches. Or in the living room. Or in their rooms. Is that harsh or good parenting. They also have chores. Is that harsh too.

Come on man. I have a different perspective of teaching than you do. That doesn’t make it wrong. Believe it or not, my kids aren’t starving. We just stop and eat at a table. They can go “hungry” for awhile. Builds character. Immediate self gratification isn’t one of my goals to teach my children.

My kids are 25, 21, 19, 17 and 9. The 3 older then 18 have jobs. There own place to live. Nobody on drugs. Nobody pregnant. One just bought his first house. I’d be cautious of judging me And my parental skills based on a simple fact that I don’t want kids eating in my truck.
That sir is harsh.
You asked what we thought. Your statements here re-enforce my thoughts. I feel sorry for your wife and children. You made the statement of 'Different perspective of TEACHING than me'. Every event in life is a 'teaching' moment. You have left out the most important aspect of teaching... and that is Love. With out Love, all of the material things in the world mean nothing. There were seven in my childhood household and we were very poor. All of the children 'worked' around town. Paper routes, mowing and raking yards, after school jobs (with our parents support of teaching). I was in baseball (summer and school), track and basketball, Boy Scouts (camping...)(dad was the troop leader and he was also a volunteer Firefighter)(we never knew when the 24/7 Fire Tone would go off at our house or where and to what my father would be called to, but his gear was always ready to jump into and head out the door at a moments notice), had my own car at sixteen (as all my siblings did), because we bought them and fixed our selves. We never knew that we were 'poor', because my parents could not even afford new clothing for each of us. We never threw clothing away, just 'handed them down' or 'shared' clothing when we wore the same size. We had each other and had Love. Our HOUSE looked 'Lived in', because it was. I miss my parents so much for what they gave me. Nothing material, but 100% Love and support. Enjoy your 70,000 dollar truck for now. It is the things that money can not buy that is worth the most.

(If you think... 'why have five kids if you could not afford them'... I am from a 'blended family'. My father had three kids and my (step)(she was and is 'my mother') mother (married to my dad for 33 years before he died) had two kids. Two parents who lost their former spouses, formed a new union. Was there 'difficult' times, yes, but the good times far outweighed those)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #44
Insert witty title here

When we are hungry, we stop and eat. When we are thirsty, we stop and drink. Just because eating and drinking are not allowed in the truck does not mean we go without or have any less of a good time.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
When we are hungry, we stop and eat. When we are thirsty, we stop and drink. Just because eating and drinking are not allowed in the truck does not mean we go without or have any less of a good time.

My truck came with cup holders... and a dash hook to hang a trash bag from.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

DW and myself had jobs on the road and we ate in our vehicles on the go. It was a time saver to get home quicker at the end of the day. We cleaned it after the day was done. Our vehicles would get high trade in value with some TLC before trading it in.
I drove school bus part time and after a sporting events all 50 kids would load up at Micky D's and eat on the bus. Just had a garbage bag in the aisle for the trash. I always had a good looking bus and happy kids.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #47

Good point NMWildcat... I can see that.

My GS was at the house and less than 2 YO and spilled something... he instantly started crying. Good thing the DD wasn't there as there would have been words. A kid is gonna make a mess and that is life. We try and limit those messes..or where the mess happens.. clean it up and go on. I treat the RV the way MSLaman does his truck(sorta), but it still gets a mess. I try to keep food at the table and picked-up as best I can.

I have always worried about a new/like new vehicle as being the first scratch or whatever to try and protect them. One reason I usually buy used
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #48

Seat Covers X10
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Has anyone else banned food from your truck? The wife seems to think that it is a bit overboard to not allow the kids to eat in the truck. I disagree of course (especially Cheetos). Hey kids, when you buy a $70,000 truck. Go ahead and do what ever you want to it. But in my truck, sit down, shut up, and enjoy the view.
Response by me as a member: I totally agree with your wife, and using your own words quoting her, I also think it's a bit overboard.
----------------------------------

Now, putting the moderator hat on: Your initial post is basically asking for other members opinions. If you are going to argue them up for offering such (whether you agree with it or not), then that's going to run afoul of our site guidelines, and is really what we call baiting, as per the guidelines:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.

Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

If we continue to see this, we will close this thread as it's disrupting forum harmony.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #50
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Quote:
If your truck cost $70,000 and there no eating in it, then what did your house cost? Will you allow playing in it? OMG.... I bet you use those cute little booties at the dump station too...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #51

We have a $70,000 truck also, we put down "seat covers" and eat and drink in the truck while traveling with the grandson. Crumbs are easy to clean up, spills a bit harder but still get cleaned up. I vacuum, wash & wax the truck at least every other week. With that said, I do understand Mslaman's concern for his truck. When you spend that amount of $$$$ you want to keep it as pristine as possible so the trade-in value will remain high, $$$$ don't grow on trees. HARD work does get you the $$$$ to be able to afford the nice things in life. Unless you're a "trust fund baby" and have the "disposable attitude" I would still want my truck "taken care of" by having respect shown for other's property. This attitude can still allow good memories to be made for all concerned.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #52

[QUOTE=grumpy0374;1682360]
Quote:
Has anyone else banned food from your truck? The wife seems to think that it is a bit overboard to not allow the kids to eat in the truck. I disagree of course (especially Cheetos). Hey kids, when you buy a $70,000 truck. Go ahead and do what ever you want to it. But in my truck, sit down, shut up, and enjoy the view.[/QUOT

My father was much like you. Not physically abusive, but very strict, especially with "stuff". His way ONLY. He never hit or whipped us (this was the 50's and 60's) when it was "allowed". But was very domineering and oversaw EVERYTHING we did.
I left home at 17 after highschool, joined the Navy, became a cop, married, had kids, retired, ect ect ect.
Point...from the day I left home until the day he passed, I never saw or spoke to my father again. Almost 30 years. Never introduced my wife, kids to him. My mother got smart and finally had enough and left. My two younger sisters never had much to do with him after they were old enough to strike out on their own.
He passed away an old, lonely man. I don't even know where he's buried.
You only have one chance and one go around...why make it so un-enjoyable for those around you, especially your own family?
It may come back to bite you.
Oh, since 1964 I've owned maybe 100 vehicles (+ or -) and when I traded them in, never once do I remember being asked if anyone "ate or drank" in them.
Grumpy
"As we walk thru life, what's important, is the footprints we leave behind."
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #53
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
then what did your house cost?
If your a slob, I won't let you eat there either.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #54

Got vinyl flooring extremely easy to clean

'17: 42
'18: 25
Dan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #55

I would definitely ban that giant cotton candy from the back of my truck but otherwise, what do you do when a child gets sick in the back seat ...?
Kids are kids and life is life
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #56

Here's a suggestion: The OP should trade in his $70,000 truck for a $40,000 truck and stop worrying!

With the extra $30K, he could replace the entire interior before he sells it!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #57
Scoundrel

Back on topic without being judgemental.... I am super meticulous about maintaining clean synthetic engine oil, trans fluid, transfer case, differentials.... I even change the brake fluid and radiator fluid more than regularly. But I could give a rats ***** about bread crumbs on the back seat.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #58

Sorry life is too short and precious...... eat drink or what ever in our truck...... .

I sill 60 years later remember how bad it was that Dad smoked cigars in his vehicles on vacation road trips......................... don't remember the trips.....

don't sweat the little things.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #59
B47

How about just following the simple rule of respecting other people's property - you know the one that says "My House,My Rules"? Or in this case - "My Truck,My Rules"
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #60

That's why vacuum cleaners were invented! Seems a little extreme to me.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck