Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #1

Noise while driving

My wife and I both have hearing problems, which leads to some odd conversations. While in the TV, 08 Durango, it is nearly impossible to carry on a conversation while driving. Any suggestions, besides not talking until we stop at a rest area?
Fishingteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #2

road noise

Speak a little louder, without shouting.
Hearing aids. Yeah, I know they are expensive, however you can buy cheapos, one set for 30-50dollars, and pretty nice ones for under 100$. Buy one pair, one size fits all on the over the counter or hunter's type, you wear the right one when on the driver's side, she wears the left one. You will hear each other better, and the road noise at the window will not be amplified. You can also (and I did this in a really noisy truck) wear headset walkie-talkies. these are FM, and have a head piece with a boom microphone, that can be set to "vox" which means you start talking and it transmits automatically. You hear her, she hears you CLEARLY. The mic is right at your lips, so you can practically whisper and it picks up, and is loud enough in her ear to hear.
So, there's three adaptations, that should get you down the road a far piece. I have used them ALL
Good luck!
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:59 PM   #3

Noise

Thanks. I have very expensive directional hearing aids which help some but not enough, wife has less loss and less expensive aids. I had not thought of the Vox headsets, I don't know why not.

Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Broken Toe

Some of us can only WISH we had that problem.

(Good thing MamaBear does not look at the forums.)

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Broken Toe

But seriously, Look into getting some Dynamat installed on the Durango. Its a peel-and-stick sound absorbing mat that you would put under the carpet and behind the rear seat and door panels to deaden road noise. It works wonders (I have used it myself) and is easy to install. Or if you don't want to install it yourself, any car stereo shop can hook you up for just a couple hundred dollars.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

It sounds like your Issue is the TV,ride in a Silverado,"Quite as a Mouse Eating Cornbread"! Youroo!!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
Just as confused as you

The '08 Durango was noisy. My DW bought one new in late '07, it was the nosiest thing I ever drove.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Some of us can only WISH we had that problem.

(Good thing MamaBear does not look at the forums.)

Tim

LOL !

Becare of covering both ears with a headset as to blocking out emergency vehicle sirens!

Hope you find a solution !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #9

Hearing aids

Another adaption the OP can do since you already have hearing aids is for both to take out the window side hearing device, and put it in your pocket (battery out) and turn up the inboard side, so you can hear each other better.
One important thing to remember: because of the hearing aid a person can hear THEMSELVES better so they tend to speak more quietly (without realizing it).
Persons speaking in an aircraft, or a military vehicle, or ship, use a different voice when under way. They speak each word (we tend to slur our words in familiar company because "they know what I am saying") clearly and distinctly and separately, to ensure clear understanding.
When driving we need to adopt a similar mannerism, speak up, speak clearly, enunciate, don't mumble. It is a form of discipline, and helps overcome the hurdles of road noise , engine noise, radio noise, GPS direction voice, grandkids in the back seat arguing, yapping dogs, and partial deafness.
When driving the conversation is usually not chit chat, but rather important, such as directions, road hazards, like a driver sneaking up on your right, or a big truck coming from the side, or a bumper in the lane ahead, so clear commo from seat to seat is critical.
The OP raises a very important issue. Thanks.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #10

Noise

Thank you all for the suggestions. Wife has Parkinson's and speech is a problem but I really want to hear her, so your suggestions will be applied.

Tags
noise