Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
cogito ergo moo

Legally, Missouri has required payment of taxes on online purchases for a few years. However, they rely on people to self-report.

I'll agree with OC. If they wanna keep track and bill me, then I guess I'll pay

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #12
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I guess they (NC) will just have to send me a bill, 'cuz' I hain't keepin' track of what I buy 'online'.
I was asked the same and I agree with you!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #13

"self reporting"??? I'm sure the revenue is just ROLLING IN!
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #14

North Carolina has always had a Use Tax based on the honor system for out of state purchases where sales tax is not collected. If you don't keep records there is a formula they expect you to use to calculate the amount owed. If you buy a reasonable amount of items from out of state the calculation actually turns out to be quite a bit less than what the equivalent sales tax would have been.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #15

CT does as well and if you sell or buy a certain amount they send you tax forms you have to file
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #16

NC has had this in place for a while. BUT my understanding is if its in state, purchased online, you don't pay the taxes on it because the person who is wholesaling it already paid the taxes on it. Only once it leaves state lines is the buyer responsible for taxes that the seller didn't add on.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
NC has had this in place for a while. BUT my understanding is if its in state, purchased online, you don't pay the taxes on it because the person who is wholesaling it already paid the taxes on it. Only once it leaves state lines is the buyer responsible for taxes that the seller didn't add on.
If the business you are buying from has collected sales tax then you owe no additional taxes. Any company with a physical presence in NC is required to collect sales tax regardless of where the product originated (not including those that are middle men or exempt from sales tax). If the company has no physical presence it is not required to collect sales tax nor report the sale to the state. It is up to the purchaser in this case to report the sale and pay the taxes on their income tax form. Needless to say most people don't pay.

This whole who is required to collect the tax was the crux of the long time argument between NC and Amazon. NC said the independent storefronts that used their site constituted a physical presence and Amazon said it did not. The result was Amazon dropped their NC based independent storefronts to eliminate that argument. Amazon started collecting sales tax shortly before they established a physical presence in the state so the argument is now moot but it is sure to be tested again in the future by some other internet seller.

NC is not alone in wanting to find a way to collect these lost sales taxes as more people shop over the internet and have items shipped to them from out of state. The original laws were put in place to help the catalog mail order industry by not having to figure out the sales tax for every address they might ship to. These laws also cover internet sales companies even though they didn't exist when the laws were written. In this day and age I find the argument that it is too complicated to collect sales tax by these heavily computer based companies disingenuous. You also have the level playing field argument where the only difference in price between a local brick and mortar store and a web store is often the lack of sales tax collection on the sale.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
You also have the level playing field argument where the only difference in price between a local brick and mortar store and a web store is often the lack of sales tax collection on the sale.
The cost of shipping today often levels the field. The biggest reasons to shop online are staying out of traffic and cranky sales people.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #19

Illinois requires you to either keep track and report what you owe OR calculate an "assumed" number based on a percentage of your income.
The line is titled "Use tax on internet, mail order or other out of state purchases" The form specifically says, "Do not leave blank."

The implication is that you HAVE purchased something. If you're a little old lady who only buys at the local grocery store, I don't know what they expect you to do. Maybe you put in a dollar.!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

For a few years now they now charge tax on items online that come from in PA. Even if the items ship out of the warehouse in PA from Amazon. If they ship from somewhere else from Amazon, no tax.

They will need to keep track if they want me to claim it. They already get over 40% of my salary.. They do not need anymore!

I am like CaptnJohn's reasoning, other than Amazon Prime, the shipping will make the cost the same... But online I can find what I want... Not settle for what they have in the store. And at 3am I can buy it while I am working nightshifts and have it at my door before I would ever be able to get to the store and buy it.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote