Old 01-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
B47

Not a rip off,but ...

Several months ago,I received a trial subscription copy of Popular Science magazine. Not having any interest in PS ( I love and subscribe to Popular Mechanics) I gave it to my neighbor and forgot about it thinking since I didn't order it,I wasnt obligated to take out a subscription.

Today I received a notice from a collection agency named North Shore Agency based in New York State stating that "Since you did not respond to their previous letters,they have placed your account with this agency." The letter stated that I owned them $10.00.

I called PS and spoke to a lady in their Customer Service department. She said that unless I told PS that I didn't want to subscribe after receiving their trial copy,it was taken by PS that I did want to subscribe.

I told her that I didn't want a PS subscription and to take action telling NSA that I don't owe them $10.00. I also asked her to send me written notification that the debt was canceled.

You have to wonder how many people that get this or similar letters simply pay the $10.00.

As I said in my title,it wasn't a rip off,but if I don't order something on my own,I am not paying.

Beware.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Team

This was common many years ago, If you did not request the sample copy ( which may have included a conditional subscription) you have no obligation and should ignore the request to pay, If they continue to annoy you, just forward the demands for payment to your local states attorney. The amount is intentionally set at a minimal amount as they figure most people will just send the $10 to avoid a possible hassle.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This was common many years ago, If you did not request the sample copy ( which may have included a conditional subscription) you have no obligation and should ignore the request to pay, If they continue to annoy you, just forward the demands for payment to your local states attorney. The amount is intentionally set at a minimal amount as they figure most people will just send the $10 to avoid a possible hassle.
Exactly. That's why I didn't call it a rip off or scam. PS is a reputable company and they didn't deny any involvement in this.

But it still ticks me off to think I have to take action here to not subscribe to their magazine.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Roger and Paula

You get sent something in the mail you didn't order, it is considered a gift under federal law. There are attorneys that specialize in going after companies like this, may be entitled for some bucks from them.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstrahan View Post
You get sent something in the mail you didn't order, it is considered a gift under federal law. There are attorneys that specialize in going after companies like this, may be entitled for some bucks from them.
Interesting - the Customer Service lady at PS said she would send me a letter confirming the debt will be canceled. Couldn't send an email for some reason.

I'm keeping everything including her name and discussion and if the debt isn't canceled I might pursue a lawyer. I hate to have to do that,but it might be necessary.

Will keep you informed and thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

Document, document, document. They won't send an email because it becomes a permanent record. They are planning on you not being able to keep records very well.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
Document, document, document. They won't send an email because it becomes a permanent record. They are planning on you not being able to keep records very well.
Oh yeah - being a former FAA inspector,I know how to document.

I'm waiting on the letter the PS customer service person said I will receive by weeks end plus the bill from the collection agency. I even asked my neighbor that I gave the magazine to if he still has it - he's checking.

I'll keep you all informed.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #8

One of the camping reservation sites (RA - you know who) has a similar thing going on. One has to be careful as once you make a reservation, there's a screen that asks you to confirm your address. On that screen it also says you're eligible for trial subscription of certain magazines (popular science is one). So, if you click on "confirm" you also are signing up for the trial subscription. If you hit "no thanks" it'll take you back to the confirmation page and all is well. BTW, you must write a note to unsubscribe to this trial before you get charged!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #9

There are many time bombs out there. DW bought some cosmetics from a TV commercial. She gave them a CC# and after the trial offer they sent more about every 2 months. Just like trial subscriptions, if you don't notify them you don't want the product any more they keep coming. I had one that wouldn't take no for an answer so I called the credit card issuer and told them not to accept any more charges and the product stopped coming. The CC issuer notified the vendor about it. In the past year I have received a couple different CDs that were unsolicited. They were also ongoing subscriptions, and said if you don't want any more to sent the trial CD back in their envelope. I didn't send them back since I didn't ask for them. They sent several notices for payment which I ignored. They have since gone away. Many years ago I used to collect stamps and some of the stamp sellers would send unsolicited stamp packets, I never sent them back or paid for them also.
Yep, watch out for the little box on the bottom of some web pages. They are already checked so if you don't uncheck them you just bought it.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
B47

Update- today I received a letter from PS saying they have notified the collection agency to drop any collection efforts in my case.

Earlier this week I called the PS Customer Service line to inquire when the letter might be coming. I asked,once again, how PS could bill me for a magazine that I never ordered. She told me there was a card ifmy file saying that I wanted to subscribe to PS which is something the first CS lady never told me before.

I asked for a copy of the card which I haven't received yet. The card does not have any signature on it.

The only thing I can figure is that someone saw the card in our recycle able bin or someplace else in the collection process and sent it in (no postage required).

We shred every document we receive that has our name/address on it,but perhaps this one we missed.

Always shred everything that can be traced back to you.

I'm considering the matter closed due to them having a card in my file stating I send it in - however if I don't receive a copy of the card I shall pursue this further.