Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #1

one legged camping

Just had my first camping trip since my amputation. My biggest concern was driving the MH, since it was my right leg. I had been driving my car for the last 3 weeks, so I knew I could drive, but a 32' MH can be a bit more intimidating than a Chevy HHR. It only took about 100 yards down the road to feel comfortable with it. The thing that bothered me the most was not being able to do anything. My wife had to do everything. I figured the best way I could help was to stay out of the way, not fall over, and not be demanding. Getting in and out of the shower took a bit of creative maneuvering, since the door is too narrow to get through with crutches. And, I need to find a shower chair small enough to fit the stall. I don't see my doctor again until the end of October, and am hoping he will release me so we can head south. I really don't want to find out how crutches work on ice and snow.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

My wife also has to set down to take a shower - we found a small metal folding chair at Walmart that she uses. It did have a small padded cover on the seat that we removed. Very lite weight. Good to hear you was able to get that 1st RV trip in since the amputation.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #3

Man, you're doing it right. Go slow and you'll learn how to improvise to get things done on your own....eventually. I can attest after having both knees replaced with prosthetic joints last winter that just learning to walk was a challenge. Btw, crutches and canes SUCK on ice. Watching Soldier amputees walk, run and play sports via prosthetics is encouraging and I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck and take it slow!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
RKR

Great to hear bud. You will inspire others to do the same. God Bless and keep enjoying life.

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #5

they have medical seats for showers you can pick up relatively cheap that should fit in shower and people have them for sale all the time here so you might be able to get one for almost nothing. I have a friend, that tows a camper, he has been paralyzed from the waist down for about 5 yrs he goes all over and hooks and unhooks his trailer working out of one of those powered chairs. I'm sure you will be able to do a lot more it will just take time and some figuring how to do the things.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #6

You are truly inspirational having such a good attitude and working through the challenges.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
X2 Ones healing is dependant on getting back to normal, that included camping and travelling. Do keep us up to date on your progress. Walmart sells plastic topped stool with metal legs, might need some large rubber feet to prevent slipping, bought for mom when she couldn't bend in the shower.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

just be careful that the legs don't harm the floor of the shower...
Be careful and have loads of fun..
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #9

I've been following some of your posts and all I have to say is "wow". you are one amazing guy that , no doubt, will be an inspiration to anyone with disabilities. Or in your case 'abilities'. Keep up the positive outlook and enjoy life.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
Site Team

With having many surgeries on my feet & ankles I quickly adapted to using my left foot to drive with. I found with long distance driving that side of the body muscles would get sore from the left leg reaching over.

In time you will find new ways of getting stuff done. It's good for the other person to know how to set things up too. I brought a shower chair for dad that was on the smaller size from a medical supply store. Is there a way to have your shower redone?

The thought of crutches on ice and snow is scary. With snow being common I would think this problem has been addressed somehow.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #11

Congratulations on your first trip out since surgery, sounds like it went pretty good, we hope to one day get outta the cold winter too.
themounties is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping