Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #1
Oklahoma Proud

Oreion Reeper street legal side by side

We have been looking at these Oreion Reeper side by sides as a neat little run around vehicle at our place at the lake. Figured we could also pull the kids jetski with it too.

Just wondering if anyone has one or has any experience with them that they could share.

Here's a few pics off the web
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1484541602301.jpg
Views:	1731
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	128117   Click image for larger version

Name:	1484541786023.jpg
Views:	1924
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	128118   Click image for larger version

Name:	1484541804244.jpg
Views:	3016
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	128119   Click image for larger version

Name:	1484541818474.jpg
Views:	3632
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	128120  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
We have been looking at these Oreion Reeper side by sides as a neat little run around vehicle at our place at the lake. Figured we could also pull the kids jetski with it too.

Just wondering if anyone has one or has any experience with them that they could share.

Here's a few pics off the web
I don't know anything about these but Inlike the style, FWIW.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #3

Motor Chinese.....CheRy motors makes it, same company that makes the motor for one of the JD Gators. Most of the parts are Chinese. It is assembled in the US.

As the owner and heavy user of an off-road UTV (SxS), it depends on what you want to do. Most brands of SxS can be made street legal now, in most states. I personally would not buy this unit for off road use. But they do sell apparently, so they have a following.

When I Googled them, I got a lot of comments like "It's not a true off road machine, it's for Snowbirders to pull behind their RV and drive it to the store at 25 mph". So I'd have to assume it's quieter than a normal SxS (Ranger, Teryx, Rzr, Viking, etc).

My SxS has a limiter to keep me below 55 mph.......and it'll get there in a hurry. But it's so loud that I'd never consider driving it anywhere near a campground.......

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Motor Chinese.....CheRy motors makes it, same company that makes the motor for one of the JD Gators. Most of the parts are Chinese. It is assembled in the US.

As the owner and heavy user of an off-road UTV (SxS), it depends on what you want to do. Most brands of SxS can be made street legal now, in most states. I personally would not buy this unit for off road use. But they do sell apparently, so they have a following.

When I Googled them, I got a lot of comments like "It's not a true off road machine, it's for Snowbirders to pull behind their RV and drive it to the store at 25 mph". So I'd have to assume it's quieter than a normal SxS (Ranger, Teryx, Rzr, Viking, etc).

My SxS has a limiter to keep me below 55 mph.......and it'll get there in a hurry. But it's so loud that I'd never consider driving it anywhere near a campground.......
Yep, chery is one of the large auto manufacturers in china.
We have a yamaha rhino that we've had for 9 years. Just dont use it much. We would use this a lot more for street use, not really serious offroading.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

What would be the advantages of this over a golf cart?

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #6

Being a Chinese knock off brand the depreciation hit will be 'huge'. Also if it is basically for on road use only why not just get a nice convertible?
gloryracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
What would be the advantages of this over a golf cart?
Its street legal so we can go on Corp of engineer land and drive down the road.
Our camp ground is right by corp park and we are probably building a house just up the road a 1/4 mile or so.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory rcing View Post
Being a Chinese knock off brand the depreciation hit will be 'huge'. Also if it is basically for on road use only why not just get a nice convertible?
Best i can tell the engine is Chinese but the rest is American. Its not some hole in the wall Chinese brand. Chery is one of the largest manufacturers in China.

Depreciation....its that way with any side by side or atv.
Convertible cars are even worse.
I buy and sell numerous cars every year and i steer clear of convertibles and mopars.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Other thing, i found one for less than half the price of a new one, so im just swapping a rhino for this.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Other thing, i found one for less than half the price of a new one, so im just swapping a rhino for this.
That's because it is a Chinese knock off. Buy at half off and hope it doesn't need parts/repair.

How bout a jeep instead of a convertible? I was just suggesting a real vehicle instead of a side x side.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
That's because it is a Chinese knock off. Buy at half off and hope it doesn't need parts/repair.

How bout a jeep instead of a convertible? I was just suggesting a real vehicle instead of a side x side.
I've got over $200k of vehicles in my garage and driveway....if i wanted a jeep i would have a jeep!

I asked about this particular vehicle for peoples experiences, not if i should. I've had a dozen yamahas and raced them for years. Im interested in something like this that is street legal
Old 01-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #12

I for one, would appreciate a first-hand assessment once you get it.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #13

Well then it sounds like you already know all that you need to...go buy it before someone else does.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
I for one, would appreciate a first-hand assessment once you get it.

Quote:
Well then it sounds like you already know all that you need to...go buy it before someone else does.

Was just looking for some other first hand experience without joining another forum.
I guess thats not going to happen on here though.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #15

I shared my first hand experience within the powersports industry. Lots of intelligent members here...I am sure there will be others along soon who can share additional info.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
I shared my first hand experience within the powersports industry. Lots of intelligent members here...I am sure there will be others along soon who can share additional info.
Just interested in info for this brand.

I was a dealership sponsored rider on yamahas for years. Kept up with all the brands at that time since they were what i was competing against.

I know resale of anything powersports you are lucky to get 60% of your money back out of it. But its like campers, most people dont have to have one, so it makes the values go to crap on the used market.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #17
Broken Toe

Quote:
Not necessarily... I had an Odes Dominator 4 door that I bought brand new in 13 for $9400. I sold it early last year for $7100 so for about 3 years ownership, it cost me $2300 or about 24.5%.

On craigslist right now there is a 2015 Polaris Ranger Crew for $13,500 with doors, roof and front and rear windshield. I priced one back in 2014 and loaded up like this one was about $18,500. In 2 years, he lost about $5000 or about 27%.

But then again, depreciation is usually at the bottom of the list of concerns when people buy a UTV.

Tim

p.s. Mechanically, that Odes was built every bit as good as the Polaris is. I had no issues with the "Chinese knock off" other than apparently they ran out of grease for wheel bearings when they built mine and used peanut butter and rust. It was a "Heinz 57" as far as parts, with a can-am clone motor, Yamaha rear diff, can-am front diff, etc etc. But I never had problem getting parts. I bought all new bearing and seal from some bearing outfit on the internet. It was a tough, capable and fun vehicle.

Of course, you could see where they skimped and saved money. The interior was not finished as nice as a Polaris. The seats were pretty horrible to sit on, but they were solid as a rock. The shifter was vauge, and there was a bit too much heat in the cabin on a warm day, but like I said, Mechanically, I'd stand them up against anyone's unit.

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #18

There are always exceptions and circumstances for every rule. Just stating what has happened in the powersports industry with prior knock off brands in the past.
Usually a tale tale sign is the dealership network. If you look at this brands you will see used car dealers, hardware stores, etc that are located in small towns. No large metro dealers.

I would check the local situation and determine if making the Rhino street legal was an option.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #19
Broken Toe

Quote:
There are always exceptions and circumstances for every rule. Just stating what has happened in the powersports industry with prior knock off brands in the past.

you stated as factthat the purchaser of a Chinese knock-off is going to take a bath on depreciation, implying that it will be worse than non-Chinese brands.

That is clearly not true. The truth is that (as mentioned before) ALL powersports vehicles will depreciate faster than a Milli-Vanilli Grammy, but the knock-offs do not fare any worse than others.

There are some really good brands out there gaining some real reputation as far as being viable alternatives to the established brands, usually at a very attractive discount. CFMoto, Odes, Massismo, HiSun and others.

Of course, there will be people hating on them because they are not Polaris, or Can-am, or Arctic-Cat or Honda or Yamaha.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #20

I guess we are fortunate to have so many alternatives...buy what you believe to be the best value.