Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
DDC

Our trip south

Well we decided to set off early on Sunday morning, so up at 6am on the road by 8am, a fresh two inches of new snow, an hour later we are at the border entering the US at Port Huron MI. No problem other than the border guard wanted to keep our puppy for himself. I thought going on a winters Sunday would reduce the idiot factor a little, didn't work, Detroit has a bankrupt feeling about it,( unplowed highways). After getting through that we enter Ohio, highway closed, traffic backed up for miles, half way down Ohio we stop for diesel at a flying J, can't get the nozzle into the tank, try another pump , same thing, the nozzle is smaller in diameter than usual but that does not sink in at that time, all I can see is that the opening is sealed with a flap and it won't open. Phone VW hot line they assume everyone is so stupid that they will fill their diesel car with gas if the nozzles are the same size, anyway we went to another station with newer pumps and that worked fine, two more slow downs for accidents before Cincinnati, then two miles before our turn off for the night at Richmond Ky. There is a huge accident stopping traffic on both sides of the highway. Sure hope tomorrow goes better.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #2

What a day! You are just 30m south of me now as I live in Lex, Ky. Unfortunately looks like a couple of inches of the white stuff may hamper an early srart tomorrow. Its been a hard winter and the salt supplies are dwindeling. Be careful, particularly over Jellico Mtn. Where is your next planned stop and what is your final destination?
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #3

Wow that almost makes me glad we are not going south this year but to be honest those things happen here too. I was sitting at a red light minding my own business Wednesday afternoon when a car came out of an off ramp, across two more lanes and took a whack at my front end. My truck is in the body shop at his expense for a week to 10 days or so. Not a great deal of damage, mostly plastic bumper cover. grill cover etc. When they told me it was RAM tough I didn't know it was me getting rammed but it held up quite well and didn't even set off the air bags. Oh well just another day In the life of a couple of oldie but goodies. Take care and enjoy the rest of your trip. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne) P.S. His Saturn Vue is pretty much a write off.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #4

Never knew this was a problem with the new TDI.

Maybe this could help:
TDI Diesel Fuel Nozzle Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive

Hope the rest of your trip goes smoother.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #5

Be safe in your travels Don.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #6

After a day like that I hope you got a good nights sleep, you deserve it. Have a safe trip!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
DDC

Well after a good nights sleep we are on the road again, we have had a couple of inches of fresh snow but the the Canadian in me looks at this as a nice day, no problems on I 75 going through Knoxville then we stop for lunch and to top up with diesel at the flying j at I 40 and I75 great news the nozzle fits but the guy on the other pump is not to pleased as I start the pump I ask what is wrong, he says how's your pump working, on checking I notice that it is very slow and I mean 'slow', he said I have managed to put in $ 1.75 in 5 mins, I had to go get one of the employees and ask if he had a colander to measure the time it was taking to pump, ended up having to change pumps then off we go now we have stopped for the night at Adairsville GA. And see that they are all panicking because it might snow we will take whatever comes we will keep heading south.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

DDC, you made it just in time for our little snow last night. I live in Richmond & was wondering where you stayed overnight. Have a safe trip.
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #9

Get out of Georgia before the rain/snow/sleet arrives tomorrow. The traffic does not move well if it is raining and it's about impossible if it sleets and definitely stops if it snows. Been there, done that several years ago.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
they assume everyone is so stupid that they will fill their diesel car with gas if the nozzles are the same size,
We got behind a guy in Arizona that filled his diesel with gas. The station was not laid out well, there was no way to back out and go somewhere else. We had to wait until a mechanic could pump the gasoline out and refill with diesel.

The mans wife came back and apologized for the wait. Didn't really matter to us, we had time to make a sandwich for lunch.

Travel safe!
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #11

Good thing you are a day ahead of the ice/snow event forecasted for the Atlanta area and hope you make it out in time. When this happened a few couple of weeks ago cars were abandoned on I-75. Another good day of travel and you should be well enough south to de winterize. I'm envious. Safe travels and
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
Camper Less Camping

DDC...only sunshine & great temps ahead of you in South GA & North Fl...enjoy!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
DDC

So net connection again, the trip past Atlanta was mostly uneventful other than everyone wants to use the middle lane and no one used the left lane, so it just seemed logical to use it, rain in Atlanta no problem. We stopped at a camp site in Unadilla called Southern trails stayed for two nights and the rain came down in bathtubs not buckets. We then carried on to Silver Springs and stayed at Whispering Pines, nice little camp ground after a week we now find ourselves at Mouse Mountain camp ground in Davenport and are packing up again for our move to Disney's Fort Wilderness.