Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
our x-mas present !

on or about december 21st we recieved anywhere from 8 to 12 inches of snow as it was really hard to tell with 50 mph sustained winds for 8 to 10 hours .
I left work at 1100 am to make it home before the storm really got bad "35" miles only to get stuck on our country road 2 miles from home.
I walked home "2 MILES" and grabbed my turbocharged arctic cat "1 HOUR WALK" and drove into town "1" mile to meet my dw whom was also at work so as we could drive out to where my truck was to pull it out with our suburban she was driving.
NO DICE ! couldn't even get close to it the wind and snow was so bad .
so we drove to the neighbors and grabbed his 4x4 deer to go pull out truck.
we got it out in short order and drove back to town to leave our vehicles and ride the sled home.
we finally walked in the house at 345 pm

About 7 pm the county sheriff called and said they had to stranded younger men in a shed out in the country they had heat and shelter but one needed heart medication and they were 3 miles from no where in the blizzard .
did i mention 50 mph sustained winds for 8 or so hours ?
so my son and I trekked out on sleds to meet the sheriff at the sheriffs station 18 miles away .
took us 1 hour to get there and that was riding right down the hi way.
he told us where they were and handed us the heart meds and food and water to get them through the night .
we got them there supplies and headed home and reached home at 1030 pm.

Heres what we saw the next day when the wind had subsided. about 800 am.

PS we had zero snow until this storm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01113.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	22559
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01116.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	22561
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01110.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	22560
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01119.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	22563
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01115.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	22562
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01120.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	22564
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01114.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	22566
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01121.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	22565
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo
on or about december 21st we recieved anywhere from 8 to 12 inches of snow as it was really hard to tell with 50 mph sustained winds for 8 to 10 hours .
I left work at 1100 am to make it home before the storm really got bad "35" miles only to get stuck on our country road 2 miles from home.
I walked home "2 MILES" and grabbed my turbocharged arctic cat "1 HOUR WALK" and drove into town "1" mile to meet my dw whom was also at work so as we could drive out to where my truck was to pull it out with our suburban she was driving.
NO DICE ! couldn't even get close to it the wind and snow was so bad .
so we drove to the neighbors and grabbed his 4x4 deer to go pull out truck.
we got it out in short order and drove back to town to leave our vehicles and ride the sled home.
we finally walked in the house at 345 pm

About 7 pm the county sheriff called and said they had to stranded younger men in a shed out in the country they had heat and shelter but one needed heart medication and they were 3 miles from no where in the blizzard .
did i mention 50 mph sustained winds for 8 or so hours ?
so my son and I trekked out on sleds to meet the sheriff at the sheriffs station 18 miles away .
took us 1 hour to get there and that was riding right down the hi way.
he told us where they were and handed us the heart meds and food and water to get them through the night .
we got them there supplies and headed home and reached home at 1030 pm.

Heres what we saw the next day when the wind had subsided. about 800 am.

PS we had zero snow until this storm.
Wow, now that's a white Christmas, beautiful. Good deed thrown in the mix too! Have a geat New Year and enjoy the Turbo sledin.
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Earth Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 627
what a kind kind gesture!!!! You made the world go around a bit better for that man that needed medicine!!!! Thank you!
__________________

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
TY ! I did it out of a pure life and death situation and didn't think twice about risking my life and my sons to help another .
It felt very very rewarding being able to help when so little could be done by the authorities.

My son learned a very valuable lesson that night .....
sometimes you have to risk your life to save another .


TURBS
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
GASPEDDLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 755
Very cool gesture Turbs!
__________________

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
TY ! I did it out of a pure life and death situation and didn't think twice about risking my life and my sons to help another .
It felt very very rewarding being able to help when so little could be done by the authorities.

My son learned a very valuable lesson that night .....
sometimes you have have to risk your life to save another .


TURBS
People like you & your son make a good difference in today's world.

PS
Great pictures!
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,512
Your kind act was a Christmas present to the stranded men. I'm sure it's something they'll always remember.
__________________
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
what a kind kind gesture!!!! You made the world go around a bit better for that man that needed medicine!!!! Thank you!
Turbo - Let me say I would like someday to meet you and shake your hand in person.

Until that day, let me say that I am proud to know you and am glad that there are people like you in this world.

You have shown your son that you are an example of the kind of father that he can be proud of.
__________________

__________________
B47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.