Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Personal Locator Beacon

If anyone is considering purchasing one of these, and if you hike alone in the boonies like I do, I highly suggest one, ACR has a great rebate going on most of their models.

Available from places like REI, but also online from stores like Amazon and GPS store (which has a better price with free shipping than Amazon at this time).

I'm ordering another PLB-375 P/N 2881 in a few weeks since my current model is expiring on March 2016 (battery good for five years), and total price with shipping will be $199 after the rebate.

And there are not further costs; just the unit.

https://www.acrartex.com/info/acrart...ect-a-country/

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #2

I use the SPOT system. Satellite based messenger. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
prestonj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

a PLB is not a messenger as SPOT is.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #4

I've bean using a Spot for 5 years works real good
Dsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

I just posted a decent sale on the PLB devices that are very well known. Not suggesting which one is better. It depends on the person preferences of the person.

Spot is nice to transmit a location signal to someone back home to show where you are. Big difference between the two is price and speed of signal.

PLBs have a one time cost to purchase (usually around $240.00), spots cost about $100, and then require another $100 per year for a service.

Spots can take up to 20 minutes to send a signal, (96% OR BETTER PROBABILITY OF SUCCESSFULLY SENDING A SINGLE MESSAGE WITHIN 20 MINUTES...from spots website).

A PLB with GPS (only way to get one) can notify the local SAR or County you are in within 5 minutes.

If really doing some deep backwoods hiking, or in deep canyons, PLB is more likely to send out a distress signal if required.

But I guess in the majority of cases, having at least one is better than nothing. If Aron Ralston had one, things might have turned out differently; then if he had told someone exactly where he was going, one may not have been needed.

Here's an interesting article on the differences....
PLBs and Satellite Messengers: How to Choose - REI Expert Advice

Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

We used to use the PLB when I yacht raced. Great for an emergency. I like the satellite messenger as it can send a non distress message, as well as track to someone you designate. I hunt by myself a lot, and my wife wanted a way to know where I am. I can send a non distress message if I get a flat tire or get an elk down. Or, I can send a distress message if I need it. Part of getting it was a must. Wife said so.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

Yea, the spot is good for letting people back home know where you are. Never thought of vehicle help; guess I have always relied on cell phone or Onstar.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #8

I'm in Idaho, so cell service is very spotty or non existent in the back country. I carry the spot on foot, in cars and trucks, boats ATV everything. There are too many millions of acres where you can't get cell phone service here in the mountains.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #9

Hmmm... given that we are planning on driving the ALCAN in 2018, I am wondering if these devices might not be a "Good Thing" to have along for the trip -- there are some places in CA & AK where a cell signal is nonxistent and UConnect may not work.

Thoughts, Advice, Comments?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #10

Really, the only reason I posted this was to let people know of a decent deal on a PLB if interested. I can admit I have never used mine, but when working with a SAR group, we only wished that everyone used one. And when they did, it was failsafe.

A messenger device like SPOT or Delorme are different than a PLB. First two are used for messenger and home locating and for (hopefully) an emergency signal, if needed; whereas, the PLB is solely used for emergency purposes only.

However, if looking for an in case of EMERGENCY beacon, a PLB is the best bet, by all means. If you want someone to track you in addition to an emergency signal, then the SPOT or Delorme InReach are probably best with the Delorme having a better rep than than the SPOT but at a lot higher price tag.

SPOT is dependent upon Globalstar satellite network and that is why they note on their website, "96% OR BETTER PROBABILITY OF SUCCESSFULLY SENDING A SINGLE MESSAGE WITHIN 20 MINUTES. I rented a Globastar for use in UT once and it took over 20 minutes to connect, in clear sky. Thankfully, it was for a phone call, not an emergency.

DeLorme uses Iridium, which is by far the best Satellite system, and I can attest to their network, having been issued one of their phones when working for the Federal government and being in places that only dream about phone service.

There is a distinct difference between the devices. REI gives a decent write up on the pros and cons of the SPOT and PLB. But the main difference for the emergency notification is that the SPOT signals to a private owned satellite on a 1610 MHz frequency; PLBs signal to a US SARSAT (Search and Rescue Satellite Aiding Tracking) Satellite with a full 5 watt signal on 406 MHz frequency. (Not sure of the DeLorme frequency.)

PLB also transmits a 121.5 MHz homing signal that is used by most local SAR groups. And this can be very important considering at times, someone will activate the beacon but keep on moving, and figuring it might take the SAR to respond to a given location in about an hour or likely more, that person can move quite a way in that time span, so the original GPS location can be off by quite a bit. And in night locations it can be hard to find a person.

From Rocky Mountain SAR Group....
"The SPOT must have a line-of-site to the sky both to acquire position with the GPS and to send a message to satellites. This reduces their coverage as compared to the PLB. (In light forest they might work, but in heavy forest in a deep canyon they may not.) It is possible that a SPOT might send a distress alert without a location, or with an inaccurate location, illustrating the importance of leaving trip itinerary information with a trusted emergency contact known by SPOTs RCC."

Costs are also different.
I can get a PLB at normal price of $249, with the rebate info I posted I can get it for $199.00 and that is it for five years (life of the battery).

SPOTS are about $80-100, and then $99 per year to keep the service activated.

Costs would be a wash if only needed for one trip.

However, if going to AK, I guess I would take a close look at coverage map of Globalstar...AK is not in their primary coverage area....
Coverage Map - Voice/Duplex

vs. Irdium which covers the earth, including the poles.

And SARSAT coverage is...
https://www.cospas-sarsat.int/en/sys...llite-coverage
So you have GEOS 15 Sat coverage across the entire state.

Interesting review done by Outdoor Gear
The Best Personal Locator Beacon and Satellite Messenger | OutdoorGearLab

It really all depends on what you are looking for....
I carry one when in deep woods, canyons when hiking since if I need to pull the switch, it will be an emergency and want the most reliable system out there. I do all this alone or with two dogs.

If I was always hiking with someone else, then I would think of something different, like a SPOT or a DeLorme, since the second person could (hopefully) render emergency aid if needed.

Hopefully, the information helped.

And have fun in AK.....

Old 09-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #11

Pick one that best fits your needs. I wouldn't go without. It's comforting to know you can summon help at the push of a non cell phone button.

Tags
cat