Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

Pets and traveling

I was wondering what everyone else does if they want to stop somewhere to eat or do something where they can't take their pets with them. Especially when it is hot out. Where to you put your pets and how do you keep them cool. We just have one person go in and get orders to go and stay with our pet but there has to be a better way. Thank you in advance for any help you can give us.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
I Break Everything

It looks like you pull a travel trailer? If it was hot we didn't mess with going in to a restaurant. If we did stop it was fast food and some of us stayed back.

We had a 5th wheel at one point with a slide out tray on the trailer. We would occasionally put our generator on the tray. it was low noise for use in National parks and California ready. I'd put on the A/C.

We're now in a motorhome, no issues.

But overall if I guess it depends on how much you drive, We don't do those 500-700 mile days, ever. 250-350 miles max. We generally start early and get where we are going before it gets too hot.

mk

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #3

Traveling with a pet definitely requires more planning, especially for stops. Not too many options for your scenario. Sounds like your solution is one of the better ones.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

We use a small cooler with ice for pop and sandwiches, stop at rest area or fast food and one of us gets out.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
boatman

We leave the dogs locked in the truck with the motor running and the A/C on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

If I stop someplace that jake can't come in I put the truck on high idle crack the windows and leave the AC on high. With the Class A I would just start the generator and turn on the roof ACs
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #7

We took our Aussie on our month long summer travels this year and it really changes the dynamic. Don't get me wrong, I love our little nut case (Aussies often suffer from the WORST separation anxiety). We secured drugs for Boomer before we left and boarded him twice. The drugs did not work and fortunately the people at both boarding facilities (one a grooming/boarding service, the other a vet) were fantastic and did not keep him in the kennel. He spent the day in the groomers home and as "door greeter" at the vets office.
IF your dog is normal you could leave them in an air conditioned RV-this has some risks. Equipment failure (AC), power outage etc. A lot depends on how long you plan to be gone.
Otherwise, you (and your spouse) cannot; go shopping together, eat in a restaurant, go most places in National Parks, ad infinitum.
We had no issues in general travel. The dog enjoys the ride and sleeps much of the time. Most gas stops have areas where you can walk your dog (please clean up after your pet). The dog thinks it is the best ride/walk ever.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #8

Thanks for suggestions. As you can tell from my signature we just lost our furbaby in June. We are thinking of getting another but not in a rush. We are planning to travel more in the future and know we had a problem before so just trying to decide what the best answer is for us. We had no other issue taking her except if we wanted to stop somewhere for any length of time we couldn't unless it was very cool out so she could stay in the car or camper. I will keep working on it and if I come up with a solution I will let you know. Thanks again.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #9

It's a tough problem with a trailer. We have a motor home so we can just fire up the gen and A/C. It works great almost everywhere. We stopped at a Walmart one day and did just that. After we eat a very nice couple in a 5er stopped and parked in our shade. They were wanting to go eat and we're going to leave the dog in the truck. We offered to pet sit while they eat. It was fun helping them out and their dog sat on my lap the whole time. Win win.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #10

I'm seriously looking at this for when we are on shore power or running the generator (such as a restaurant or sightseeing stop) and need the air conditioning on for our dog. It looks great and the cost is relatively low.

https://macsources.com/isocket-3g-smart-plug-review/

When it's not that hot out, we use our FantasticVent fan set to thermostat mode at say 75 degrees and it comes on as needed. But the fan can't keep the unit any cooler than it is outside. So, if it's 80 out it will try its hardest but the unit will end up at 80. On the phone lid side, it runs on DC wherever we are parked.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 08-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

I just got an idea that I will check out.
Make a cage with a floor that can set up under my van
Old 08-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

Pets and traveling

"phone lid" should read "positive" - darn auto-correct.

PS: the iSocket 3G notifies you by cell phone of a power outage or if the temperature rises to a level that you pre-set. There are many units of this kind available for home use that attach to your land line and notify you by telephone of power failure. However, I believe this is the only unit available that will notify you by cell phone. It requires the purchase of a separate SIM card, which costs $30 including $15 prepaid on the cellular account, with no monthly charges. The unit is controlled and notifies you buy a clever text messaging system. Each message costs $0.09!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 19; RV to date: 22

Tags
travel