Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Yes, I have the eyepiece shield with my camera also. I may need to go back through my directions, but I understood that I needed to use that when my eye was not up against the camera, so that the camera would not take a false reading on exposure via the light coming in the eyepiece.

Once the mirror flips up, shouldn't the eyepiece be completely isolated from the sensor ??
At the moment of exposure, light coming into the viewfinder should not be a problem. I think, though, that prior to the mirror flipping up, the light coming in through the viewfinder could affect the camera's exposure reading, possibly affecting the final result.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Disney Cruise

Any feedback would be helpful to those who have been on a Disney cruise.

I have two cameras nowadays. A Sony Nex-7 and an RX-100 (a cyber-shot point & shoot).

I plan to have the tiny cyber-shot with me most of the time because its pocketable and takes decent pictures. This is for pics of the family while on the boat.

I have two questions: would you take both the P&S and a better camera?

And if you would take both, then what lens(s) do you recommend for the Nex-7? I've got a bunch but want to only take two. I'm thinking of sunrise and sunsets, ship architecture, fireworks, and landscapes of some of the islands we are visiting.

Any tips from those who have cruised?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Any feedback would be helpful to those who have been on a Disney cruise.

I have two cameras nowadays. A Sony Nex-7 and an RX-100 (a cyber-shot point & shoot).

I plan to have the tiny cyber-shot with me most of the time because its pocketable and takes decent pictures. This is for pics of the family while on the boat.

I have two questions: would you take both the P&S and a better camera?

And if you would take both, then what lens(s) do you recommend for the Nex-7? I've got a bunch but want to only take two. I'm thinking of sunrise and sunsets, ship architecture, fireworks, and landscapes of some of the islands we are visiting.

Any tips from those who have cruised?
Triguy:
On something like a cruise, especially if you have children, I would definitely take a point and shoot for those unexpected moments. They are easy to handle and carry. I'm not familiar with the Sony but if it takes interchangeable lenses, I would opt for one with a slight wide angle, say 28mm to 70mm, for taking scenic shots or a large crowd at a dinner table, and I would take a telephoto of at least 200mm for those distant shots that you can't get close to. I know it sounds like a lot to carry around but if you own a certain lens and an opportunity arises when you need it, you'll be sorry you didn't take it with you.
I have a 35mm film camera which I'm thinking very seriously of going back to. In fact, I'm taking it on my maiden camping trip with my Flagstaff. I have an 28-85mm lens that I use most of the time because of it's versatility. (Slight wide angle to slight telephoto.) And it has a built in macro setting that allows me to focus down to about 2". Good for shooting flowers, bugs, small objects etc. The other lens I'm taking is a 100 to 300mm telephoto, for the obvious reasons. When I buy a camera, I only buy the body and then select a lens that I think would suit my needs.
The other reason I would want a point and shoot on a cruise is salt water. Point and shoot cameras are a lot cheaper to replace than your Sony, and you wouldn't want to get salt water any where near a good camera.
Two years ago, I went to Hawaii with one of my daughters and all I took was a point and shoot because of all the airport restrictions and the hassle of removing the lens so the inspectors could verify that it was a camera and a lens. However, after I got there, I wished I had brought ALL my equipment because of all the photo opportunities Hawaii has to offer. It was my first cruise and all I could think of was finding out a month later that all my stuff was ruined by the salt water/spray. I didn't care about an $80 Kodak P&S.
I hope I helped answer your question. Take the P&S,the Sony and two lenses.
Jim
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Although not camping related, I've got a question about lenses.

Does anyone shoot with manual lenses anymore? My Sony Nex can use most any lens ever made with an adapter and I'm thinking of buying one or two legacy lenses - one would be a wide-angle 10-18mm 2.8 (landscapes) and the other would be a 200mm 2.8 prime (indoor volleyball). Been a long time since I used manual and these new cameras have spoiled me with the auto-focussing and stabilization, but some of that legacy glass is 10-15 times less the price of new.
Triguy:

I read your post on shooting manually of volleyball games. Have you considered a monopod? Slik make a great one. It has a quick change mount, is adjustable in height, usually comes with an attached shoulder sling and won't interfere with people around you like a tripod would. If you watch football, look at how many pros use them along the sidelines. They are extremely versatile and keep your camera very steady.
Jim
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Triguy:
On something like a cruise, especially if you have children, I would definitely take a point and shoot for those unexpected moments. They are easy to handle and carry. I'm not familiar with the Sony but if it takes interchangeable lenses, I would opt for one with a slight wide angle, say 28mm to 70mm, for taking scenic shots or a large crowd at a dinner table, and I would take a telephoto of at least 200mm for those distant shots that you can't get close to. I know it sounds like a lot to carry around but if you own a certain lens and an opportunity arises when you need it, you'll be sorry you didn't take it with you.
Thanks for the input, Jim. The bolded part of your post is exactly the issue I have. On one hand, this isn't a photo shoot and I don't want the weight, but on the other hand, I feel like the Nex is small enough and its far more versatile than the P&S.

The Sony Nex is an interchangeable lens mirror-less camera and I have a variety of zooms and primes. From what you have said, I would plan to take an 18-200 f/3.5-6.3. That covers an equivalent focal range of 27-300mm.

I don't have a zoom that covers the 28-70 range but I do have some primes. Thinking of taking a 24mm f/1.8. I could always crop as needed.

Thanks for you help.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Triguy:

I read your post on shooting manually of volleyball games. Have you considered a monopod? Slik make a great one. It has a quick change mount, is adjustable in height, usually comes with an attached shoulder sling and won't interfere with people around you like a tripod would. If you watch football, look at how many pros use them along the sidelines. They are extremely versatile and keep your camera very steady.
Jim
Hey Jim,
I haven't considered one, but really should. I have a circa 1980s 80-200mm f/2.8 that I use for my daughters' vball games and for basketball. Its fast enough but really big and heavy. The monopod is a good solution as they don't allow tripods courtside. The lens I have even has a lens collar already built in. Thanks for the tip!

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #147

Go buy a Pentax Optio WG-1 Waterproof Digital Camera for the trip and let the kids play in the water with it. It takes great underwater pics (chlorine or salt water doesn't hurt it), and alright above pics, but somewhat grainy. I go out of the country each year and take a P&S, my Samsung Galaxy and my Canon T3i with my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8.

You want a decent tele lens in case you see something really cool a ways out there. I took the below pic in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico while standing on the beach. A P&S would have never came close to getting that shot.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

That's a great shot. Nice timing!

You've both convinced me to bring both cameras. I think my 80-200 2.8 is too heavy for the cruise, though, so I'll make do with the lighter and smaller 18-200. If will be great during the day. It struggles in lower light at night or indoors without a flash, though.

I'm borrowing an underwater camera for the kids to play with. I don't want to buy one just for this trip but I'll buy one later if we decide we like that kind of thing.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #149

Wow, that whale pic looks like the poster boy for Pacific Life Ins Co.
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #150

Which port and cruise are you planning on taking? You're not going to need much other than a P&S while on the cruise, but depending on where your going, that would matter to me more. If just to the Bahamas, you're not going to need a bunch of gear, but if to Alaska or Costa Maya or Europe, I'd take the larger camera and lenses. I went last year to Costa Rica and stayed in Playa Tamarindo which has dragonflies everywhere. Naturally a P&S isn't likely going to get a good shot, so I walked around with my T3i and captured the pic below. I did screw up and had the ISO too high and it came out a little grainy, but I like it nevertheless.

I always keep my 70-200mm on my camera in my backpack while I have my P&S in my hand while touring the countryside on vacation, as you never know what you'll see.