Old 03-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Albeit the gray clouds and fog may have been self induced. .......
Lol A little bit of both?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #162
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

Lol A little bit of both?
Just plain ..... yes

Old 03-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #163

The Gold Finches are beginning to lose their winter feathers and starting to take on their bright yellow color. Spring is coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0826 - Copy.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	25512  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #164
phat phrog stunt crew

alright camera gurus, experts and weekend warriors. i would like to get back into photography after a many year absence. i used to have a 35mm ricoh slr until somebody decided it would look better in their possesion. with all the digital cameras out there, are slr cameras dinosaurs? or do they make digital cameras that look/operate like slrs? i could look all this up i know, but getting someones opinion is almost like having someone shop with me. any recommendations? i do NOT want to spend 1000's of dollars, but a decent camera in the low to mid 100's range.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #165

I'm no camera guru but Canon and Nikon make SLR's called DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex). Prices usually start around $450 and can go up to thousands from there. If you go to a pro sports game, all those photographers are using DSLRs.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #166

Film is dead. While you can still get it and get it processed printed you might as well try and ride from DC to anchorage on a steam train or horse and buggy. It can be done, but it's going to be very hard.

So...
digital is king. Yes, there are SLR's that are digital - TONS of them. For your budget you'll need to go used.
Canon is what I'm familiar with but as a full time pro I'm out of the loop on what the current 'consumer' model is.
A used canon 40D (2 models back) can be had for $175ish. A Rebel (many models) is canon't consumer dSLR. (the XXd is their mid grade line - 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60D models. 40d and up are good). The Xd (5, 7, 1d models are the pro models).

Some of the pro models are 'full frame' (as in full 35mm film size). All the others are 'crop' cameras - smaller sensor. 99% of the time you won't care. Where you'll see it is the way the lens works - a film camera had a 28-80 lens. On a full frame (FF) dSLR it is a 28-80 lens. On a 'crop' body the frame is smaller and centered - so it's like you cropped in the picture. So a 28-80 will give you the same field of view as a 45-120 lens, give or take a bit depending on the brand of camera. great for zoom lenses not so great for wide angle.

lenses come in 3 grades - 'consumer' like the kit lens, the 50 1.8, etc. These lenses are inexpensive due to lots of plastic, slow focus, inexpensive lenses and coatings. Under $200/lens generally.

Mid grade are $250ish to $900ish in cost, and with canon most are 'USM' lenses (a type of focus motor). Better build,better glass, better coatings - better images (color, contrast, faster focus).

Pro grade (aka "L" lenses) are $1200 and up - some go WAY up. You get better build, better optics, weather sealing, constant aperture, etc.

On a beautiful day with a flower every camera does pretty good. Now make it 9 pm and raining and have the subject be a moving athlete and now you need every bit of light and focus you can get.

So what you need depends on what you want to use it for and how much money you have.

YOu will also want a computer. I'd say need, but it's not 100% necessary. A new camera will come with software to download and do some basic editing, like crop/straighten, sharpen, white balance/color correction, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
alright camera gurus, experts and weekend warriors. i would like to get back into photography after a many year absence. i used to have a 35mm ricoh slr until somebody decided it would look better in their possesion. with all the digital cameras out there, are slr cameras dinosaurs? or do they make digital cameras that look/operate like slrs? i could look all this up i know, but getting someones opinion is almost like having someone shop with me. any recommendations? i do NOT want to spend 1000's of dollars, but a decent camera in the low to mid 100's range.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 36
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #167

I've been a long time DSLR user. I've had everything from Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, 7D, 1DIII, 1DIV and now I have a 5D and 5D Mark III. I've been in love with the 5D and 5D111 for a while now but I have to say for all time RV'ing and Traveling the NEW mirror-less cameras coming out from all the manufactures are pretty hard to beat. They are small in size and their image detail and sharpness packs a punch. Way better than toting around the heavier slr cameras.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dwayne.

Here's my take.

While film isn't exactly dead; its not really very practical anymore and is only used by a small number of enthusiasts and professionals. SLRs are really cheap but you will be buying them used and then there's the film, developing and so on. It was a pain then and I can't ever see myself going back.

So, DSLR or digital is the way to go.

I think it would cost $500-$1,000 to get into a new beginner DSLR with kit lens, so one idea would be to buy used instead of new. You might be able to find a used DSLR with a kit lens for close to your price at a local camera store. Frankly, it might have the quality and features that we would have died for in an SLR even 15 years ago. So, used is the way to go if you are at mid-$100's.

Not a DSLR, but consider that there is a group of cameras called super-zoom cameras that do not have interchangeable lenses that offer a great value. They can resemble point and shoots or compact DSLRs from the outside but pack absolutely enormous zoom ranges. You will have some/most of the manual controls of a DSLR but only the one lens that is fixed to the camera; which eventually shows its limitations. Until then, you have a great camera to re-learn photography.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
i do NOT want to spend 1000's of dollars, but a decent camera in the low to mid 100's range.
DSLRs are the same as a 35mm SLR....... except is is digital instead of film. What you see in the view finder is actually looking through the lens. Most have interchangeable lens, which most of the point and shoot cameras do not have that option. I don't think you will find any DSLRs in the low to mid 100s, unless you can work out a deal on an used, older model. DSLRs start in the $500 range and head out of site from there.

Compact digital point and shoot digital cameras have come a long way. I bought a Canon SX260 HS before Christmas for $199. That puppy comes close to rivaling my Canon Rebel T1i DSLR for picture quality. With the 20x optical zoom, it reaches out close to what my Rebel 75-300mm telephoto lens can do. The SX260 differs in many of the shooting options compared to the Rebel, but has some unique 1s at that.

If I had to choose between just 1 of my Canons, I think I would go with the SX260 HS. Easy to use, and small enough to be carried conveniently in my pocket.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
I have to say for all time RV'ing and Traveling the NEW mirror-less cameras coming out from all the manufactures are pretty hard to beat. They are small in size and their image detail and sharpness packs a punch. Way better than toting around the heavier slr cameras.
I agree. Love my nex 7 and am DSLR-free

2012 Shamrock 233S