Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #171
Senior Member
 
jjdcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
alright camera gurus, experts and weekend warriors. i would like to get back into photography after a many year absence. i used to have a 35mm ricoh slr until somebody decided it would look better in their possesion. with all the digital cameras out there, are slr cameras dinosaurs? or do they make digital cameras that look/operate like slrs? i could look all this up i know, but getting someones opinion is almost like having someone shop with me. any recommendations? i do NOT want to spend 1000's of dollars, but a decent camera in the low to mid 100's range.
Dwayne:
In my opinion, the first question you should ask yourself is what do I want to take pictures of? Cameras are a lot like computers. Most people who own computers, which is just about everyone today, over bought. They don't use half the options that are available. And then there are some who under bought and try and play the high end games that are loaded with graphics and they wonder why their computer is so slow and the computer is not upgrade-able, so they are stuck in the middle.The decision has to be made before you plunk down your money. The average guy doesn't use half the options that are available on their cameras. It's all a matter of what kind of photography you want to do. And once you decide, don't buy cheap! In cameras, you get what you pay for. If you read some of the posts on this thread, you'll see. People show me photos all the time and if those photos were mine, I'd throw them away. They are terrible. But that's me. I'm my own worst critic when it comes to photography.
I'm not going to tell what brand or model to buy but just think it through first. You'll be glad you did in the long run. If you go on this web site, you'll see a whole host of cameras at all different prices and options. They have a very knowledgeable staff and they'll help you decide. The URL is: bhphoto.com
Jim
__________________

__________________
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #172
Senior Member
 
jjdcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 165
Looking for some help:
I have a Nikon D5100 DSLR and I have a question, which I can't find the answer to in the user's manual.

If I set the Mode Dial to "Close Up", how can I set the aperture to a specific setting?
Thanks,
Jim
__________________

__________________
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #173
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post

If I set the Mode Dial to "Close Up", how can I set the aperture to a specific setting?
Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,
That's Nikon's Macro scene mode, no? If so, then most scene modes are what they are and do not allow manual adjustments. Maybe Nikon is different in this way, but Sony would not let me adjust the aperture while in Macro scene mode.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #174
Senior Member
 
jjdcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hi Jim,
That's Nikon's Macro scene mode, no? If so, then most scene modes are what they are and do not allow manual adjustments. Maybe Nikon is different in this way, but Sony would not let me adjust the aperture while in Macro scene mode.
Triguy:
Yes, that is a macro setting but I'm concerned that in bright sunlight, the camera will pick an aperture setting, like F/8 or F/16 and put the background in focus. I want to keep the aperture wide open but I'm afraid my camera won't allow me to set both. My old Nikon N90, film camera, had a Depth of Field Preview button I could press and see if the background was in focus or not but I guess Nikon did away with that option when digital came along. I have a lens for my old camera that had a macro setting and I could set the camera on Aperture Priority and it worked out fine. Oh well, one of the drawbacks to digital photography.
Thanks for the reply. C'mon warm weather! I'm anxious to try my new camper.
Jim
__________________
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #175
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,951
I know precisely what you mean, Jim. And, agree, I would much prefer to control the aperture to get that creamy bokah effect. Tell the truth, I rarely use the scenes because of these limitations and stick to PASM. I'm comfortable in manual most of the time.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #176
Senior Member
 
jjdcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I know precisely what you mean, Jim. And, agree, I would much prefer to control the aperture to get that creamy bokah effect. Tell the truth, I rarely use the scenes because of these limitations and stick to PASM. I'm comfortable in manual most of the time.
Triguy:

This afternoon, I'm going to try setting the camera on "Aperture Priority", and select the aperture I want and see if I can focus down to the same distance I got when in
"Close Up" mode. In "Close Up" mode, the depth of field was about 1", but that was indoors and the camera did use a wide open aperture due to the low light level in the house. I'm not sure if by setting Aperture Priority it will change how close I can get to the subject. I might also try totally manual. I don't trust my vision for focusing anymore because of my age and bad eyesight, but the camera does have an in focus/out of focus indicator, which I hope will work in Manual mode. (I wish they would come back with the old Split Image Range Finder, as well as auto focus.) That I could handle even with bad vision. My first 3 or 4 SLR's were totally manual so getting off "Auto" doesn't scare me.
45 degrees today. Still too cold to go camping! I'm a warm to hot weather guy. That's why I moved here from upstate N.Y. and the weather is just not cooperating!
Jim
__________________
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #177
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Virginia Blue Ridge Foothills
Posts: 9,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
I might also try totally manual. I don't trust my vision for focusing anymore because of my age and bad eyesight, but the camera does have an in focus/out of focus indicator, which I hope will work in Manual mode. (I wish they would come back with the old Split Image Range Finder, as well as auto focus.) That I could handle even with bad vision. My first 3 or 4 SLR's were totally manual so getting off "Auto" doesn't scare me.
As far as vision in manual mode, it does takes 20/20 to get the correct focus.........if you haven't adjusted the view finder diopter setting. I learned this the hard way by taking some pictures with my glasses off, and the pictures were blurry. I was using the lens to correct my vision. On my camera, I have 1 of the little red dots light up and a beep sound when I have something in focus in manual mode. I was wondering why those didn't go off when I had my glasses off.

If I would continually take pictures with my glasses off, then I would adjust the view finder diopter wheel to allow for that.

In my old non-automatic focus 35mm, I also had the split image focusing. I don't know how practical that would be now when most shots are auto-focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Triguy:
My old Nikon N90, film camera, had a Depth of Field Preview button I could press and see if the background was in focus or not but I guess Nikon did away with that option when digital came along.
I think the DOF preview button is still offered on many DSLRs. I have that on my entry level Rebel t1i. I think is still offered on the higher end Nikons.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #178
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 4,708
I'm thinking all you photography gurus must drink coffee out of a mug like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coffeemug.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	25570  
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #179
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Virginia Blue Ridge Foothills
Posts: 9,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I'm thinking all you photography gurus must drink coffee out of a mug like this.
Actually, the missus gave me a similar cup a couple of years ago for Christmas.

Mine doesn't have the sippy lid......just a "lens cover"......now I feel slighted.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #180
Senior Member
 
prof_fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 896
macro mode is for CLOSE UP photography - as in your lens will be an inch or so from teh subject (bug, flower, etc)

There is a relationship between distance from lens and depth of field (DOF) and the background. More info here Online Depth of Field Calculator

In macro shooting with the subject soooo close to the camera your DOG is TINY - so you need F16 and more to get anything usable in focus. Most SLR lenses only go to F22 but macro lenses to to at least F32, some more than that - for that reason.

Now at F32 it's dark - so the shutter speed slows down or else you need A LOT of light - and a tripod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Triguy:
Yes, that is a macro setting but I'm concerned that in bright sunlight, the camera will pick an aperture setting, like F/8 or F/16 and put the background in focus. I want to keep the aperture wide open but I'm afraid my camera won't allow me to set both. My old Nikon N90, film camera, had a Depth of Field Preview button I could press and see if the background was in focus or not but I guess Nikon did away with that option when digital came along. I have a lens for my old camera that had a macro setting and I could set the camera on Aperture Priority and it worked out fine. Oh well, one of the drawbacks to digital photography.
Thanks for the reply. C'mon warm weather! I'm anxious to try my new camper.
Jim
__________________

__________________
Jill & Chris, Wills (15) Evie (13) & Toby our collie (6)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 36
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.