Old 09-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #341
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Those three shots were handheld.
Those handheld shots show that you are not drinking near enough.

I have a Canon with 20x optical zoom, and you gotta be pretty steady even at only 20x and Image Stabilization.

Fantastic shooting, Bob !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #342

LOL! At my age I’m unsteady even without alcohol. That was another reason for the new camera, this one has a viewfinder. For me, holding a camera to my eye helps me to hold the camera steady when zoomed out.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #343

What a great adventure! I can't wait to retire. I want to go full time when I do. You're living the dream.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
What a great adventure! I can't wait to retire. I want to go full time when I do. You're living the dream.
Don't be in a rush to retire, there are drawbacks...you've become old.

Retirement is like a good news, bad news joke. The good news is I'm retired, the bad news is I'm old and making my doctors, dentist, and pharmacist rich.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 09-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

Happy birthday, Bob

Can't beat another camera for a gift! I nice superzoom is very handy and a good thing to have. Amazing handheld shot of the egret from that distance.
Thank you Chap. I really wish I would have had the new camera with me when I was in Yellowstone.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #346

Sometimes you just get lucky. My grandson and his first fly rod. Below Beaver Lake AR White River. Cell phone photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anthony.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	40280  
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #347

That's a great photo bubbles.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #348
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
LOL! At my age Iím unsteady even without alcohol. That was another reason for the new camera, this one has a viewfinder. For me, holding a camera to my eye helps me to hold the camera steady when zoomed out.
Agree that a viewfinder really helps. I miss that on my point and shoot. I couldn't find a "cheap" compact camera with the stats that I wanted plus a view finder when shopping for my current pocket camera.

The stats on the S8200 are impressive...as well as the pictures. If I didn't already have a SLR and a compact camera, I would definitely consider the Fuji.

Seems like the big advantage of the S8200 over an SLR is that 1 lens does it all. It appears that the view finder is "thru the lens", but is electronically read off of the sensor ?? If I am interpreting that correctly, what you see is what you get just like an SLR.

My pocket camera (Canon SX 2600 HS) with the 20x zoom does a fairly decent job, but I can get some refraction discoloration around the edges when zoomed out.

Name:	IMG_1454.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	40337

At other times, you don't see that:

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	40338

I think the back-lighting hurt with the bear picture.

With our current setup with photo ops, I will carry the SLR with a 18 to 55mm lens and the missus the point and shoot. Overall the SLR takes better pictures (but not by much), and if there is a photo op in the distance, then the missus takes care of that with the zoom on the point and shoot. The S8200 would negate us having to take 2 cameras.

I think the only downsize of the S8200 and a typical SLR is the size. A point and shoot camera can be put in a pocket, and forgotten about until needed. I carry it frequently in my bike pack, and was able to capture some bear pictures on a recent touring trip.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #349

I love that bear photo Chap. I don't think the back-lighting hurt that photo at all. Actually it causes the eye to focus only on the the bear.

Originally I was wanting a Nikon Coolpix P520 but when I saw the sale price of the Fuji, and being cheap, I told my wife to get me the Fuji. If I were more serious about photography I probably would have gone with the Nikon.

It's been a long time since I've owned a camera this is as large as a SLR so I'm hoping I don't get turned off by the bulk and weight of the S8200.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 09-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #350

It has been a while since I have checked in here. I'm glad to see this thread is still going and have enjoyed the many wonderful photographs. For a number of reasons, this year has been very hectic and trying, leaving little time for pleasure travel or camping. I therefore have tried to make the best and worked on my "urban photography":

However earlier this week I was driving through Joshua Tree Forest as low dark storm clouds were arriving, so I stopped for a few photographs. The clouds really add dynamics to the photo (IMHO):

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (12 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote