Old 01-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #371
Moderator Emeritus

Some wildlife

While we were there, we visited the Ding Darling preserve. I was hoping for some alligators but didn't see one!

The first picture was an experiment to see if I could get these birds in flight using a very slow lens. Its a significant crop.

The next two are the same snake. The first is how it was laying on the branch when we found it. The second is after he moved and showed us a bit of an optical illusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRF-5.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	44482   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRF-9.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	44483   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRF-10.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	44484  

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #372

Love the photo of the palm tree silhouette and the pelicans in-flight is a great capture. Thanks for sharing.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #373

Loved the sunrise pic and Palm sunset. It was clear and cold, +2 here yesterday morning after snowing the day before so I went skiing.
Lemons and Lemonade. Looking forward to a great season in 2014
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	44574  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #374
Moderator Emeritus

Nice Canonman!

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 01-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #375

While maybe not some of the closest pics I thought I would post a few photos that were taken through my in-laws back window a couple days ago (we actually live on the other side of the river in the picture). Going to go down by the river in the next few days and try and get some closer pics.

This first two are pictures of 8 (7 of them are bald) eagles in one tree.....

This last one was a sunrise picture with an eagle in the shadows.

QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #376

I have a Nikon D7000. Love it to death.

Right now, I have 2 lenses - a 50mm prime that I bought used off of eBay and an 18-200mm that I bought when I got the camera. I love the versatility of the 18-200, but it's bulk and weight isn't always what I'm after (and often, what my wife wants to take photos with).

Does anyone have any thoughts on a short-zoom lens? Say something like the cheap $100 18-55mm lens that is usually sold with the kit for the inexpensive DSLRs?
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #377

The 18-55 will give you a more wide angle capability. Sorry, I don't remember which camera you said you have. I personally think only three basic lenses are needed. Something wide angel (16-35) a mid tele (24-70) and a "moderate tele (70-200) Then you can get a doubler or extender 1.4x or 2x to enhance either of those lenses. For macro just add something like Cannon's D500 to any of the above and you can cover just about anything. Of course there is nothing better for portraits than a good 50mm prime!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #378
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have a Nikon D7000. Love it to death.

Right now, I have 2 lenses - a 50mm prime that I bought used off of eBay and an 18-200mm that I bought when I got the camera. I love the versatility of the 18-200, but it's bulk and weight isn't always what I'm after (and often, what my wife wants to take photos with).

Does anyone have any thoughts on a short-zoom lens? Say something like the cheap $100 18-55mm lens that is usually sold with the kit for the inexpensive DSLRs?
Doug - what are you looking to do with the short-tele? The lens you mention is fine for available-light outdoors during the day. It would certainly be less bulky and lighter weight than your 18-200.

But the f/3.5-5.6 will cause it to struggle indoors or at night (forcing you to bump your ISO up or use a flash). I believe this is the same aperature range as your 18-200, so you have a pretty good idea if that is working for you indoors.

Keep in mind, though, its a kit lens as you stated and, most of the time, I become disappointed with a kit lens in short order. But, I never used that Nikkor so would want to try it out before I made the final judgement.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Doug - what are you looking to do with the short-tele? The lens you mention is fine for available-light outdoors during the day. It would certainly be less bulky and lighter weight than your 18-200.

But the f/3.5-5.6 will cause it to struggle indoors or at night (forcing you to bump your ISO up or use a flash). I believe this is the same aperature range as your 18-200, so you have a pretty good idea if that is working for you indoors.

Keep in mind, though, its a kit lens as you stated and, most of the time, I become disappointed with a kit lens in short order. But, I never used that Nikkor so would want to try it out before I made the final judgement.
Fortunately the D7000 lets me bump up the ISO and stay happy with the picture. I'm not pixel peeping nor am I selling photos (but one can dream, aye?).

Indoor events in cozier atmospheres is mostly what I'm after where I don't need the larger zoom of the 200mm and the less weight would be nice. I "need" a zoom because my wife isn't a fan of the prime lens (and frankly, it's nice being able to rotate the barrel vs moving around with the parties and gatherings at home).

My concern with the 18-55 is the quickness that I'd be at the 5.6 aperture. With the 18-22, I think it stays lower until I get longer. I haven't checked specs on my photos, so I'm just guessing, though.

I agree on the disappointment out of the kit lens. The real lens that I want is like $800, though. I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of coin. BUT- I'd also hate to spend $125 and have it sit all of the time because I don't like it. What I really should do is just borrow a friend's for a week or two.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #380
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The real lens that I want is like $800, though. I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of coin. BUT- I'd also hate to spend $125 and have it sit all of the time because I don't like it. What I really should do is just borrow a friend's for a week or two.
I know. A decent lens is basically the cost of a very good camera nowadays. Ouch

But, the lens will last a lot longer than the D7000. And, Nikkors keep their value well so maybe look at buying used. Its a compromise though. The better the lens; the better made and the more glass and so heavier.

By the way, a great camera that I fleetingly considered for the purposes you describe above (indoor/cozy) and for travel is the Sony RX-10. Its reportedly a great f2.8 24-200mm lens fixed to a body. But, $1,300 will also buy a very good lens for your D7000.

You could consider a small mirrorless camera as a second body. Choices, choices ... any other things I can buy with your money?

2012 Shamrock 233S