Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker25 View Post
You can try 'bracketting' your exposures if you are able to - shoot one picture with the camera exposure, then one underexposed and then one over exposed. You may find the under exposed shot bring out the mountains in the distance a bit better, although the foreground may be a bit too dark.
I use exposure bracketing on most of my shots, along with the continuous shot mode. My camera is just set up for a 3 shot bracket exposure, so it will only take 3 shots with a constant shutter release until it "reads" those shots. I find that about 50% of the time the camera knows best, about 40% of the time the 1/3 under is the best shot (better colors if not too dark), and about 10% of the time the 1/3 over is best. I tried setting the camera at 1/2 increments, but found that too extreme....if you can believe that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #32
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I use exposure bracketing on most of my shots, along with the continuous shot mode. My camera is just set up for a 3 shot bracket exposure, so it will only take 3 shots with a constant shutter release until it "reads" those shots. I find that about 50% of the time the camera knows best, about 40% of the time the 1/3 under is the best shot (better colors if not too dark), and about 10% of the time the 1/3 over is best. I tried setting the camera at 1/2 increments, but found that too extreme....if you can believe that.

With exposure bracketing, you can do some intersting HDR (high dynamic range) stuff. I got a trial of Photomatix and took the following shot off my house deck.

(normal exposure)

And tone-mapped with photomatix.

I got carried away with playing with the software and really overblew the procesing on purpose, but it shows what the software can do.

go to Stuck In Customs for more info on HDR photography.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5053.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	18879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5051_2_3_tonemapped.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	18880  

Nights Reserved 077121212125 ..........My Project Blog: http://cowracer.blogspot.com/

Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #33

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5900 that is several years old. It is small and light, easy to use and carry. I have sold some prints made from that little point and shoot.
I also have a Nikon D80 body that I bought after the D90 came out. I am not interested in the video features of a D90 style camera and I got a screamin' deal on the D80 because it was no longer being produced. I mounted a Nikon DX 16 - 85 mm wide angle zoom lens on it and a hood is never removed from the lens. The lens gathers an amazing amount of light - which is usually a problem when shooting landscapes on bright days
The photographers skills are far more important than the camera.

These are from the point and shoot. The first one I cropped, softened the edges and had it printed poster size and framed it for about $35. I gave it as a gift to a friend who saw it on our wall.
I rarely edit any photo.

These are from a $650 camera body with a $700 lens.

Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #34

I planned my recent trip to coincide with the new moon. Thought I'd try my hand at some serious low light situations.
I'm using my 50mm lens at f1.8 and 30 second exposures.

Number one is looking across a lake to the north. We've got a bit of northern lights happening and you can see the shape of the trees on the horizon.

Two is allegedly the Milky Way Galaxy (that's me in the middle ). Blurrier than I hoped for but I find it interesting how the different colours of the stars show up.

Three is just a shot looking up through a few trees.

I'm finding it very tough to see the stars through my viewfinder and thus can't seem to focus worth beans*. I realize a long exposure will blur somewhat due to the earth's rotation but I'd hoped to get things a bit sharper than that.
Any experienced night shooters out there willing to share a tip or two?

*a further problem with focusing and maintaining a good stance while crouched behind an upward-pointing camera is that I tend to drink beer while I wait for it to become full dark. I usually commence this activity around three in the afternoon. However I realize this problem is best solved by a wife or some other form of adult supervision rather than by an experienced photographer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0235.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	19572   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0239.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	19573   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0240.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	19574  
Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #35

Check out some star gazing/photography forums.
grcooperjr is a member of PopUpPortal and has some fairly exotic equipment.
Unstable Tripod is a member of that same forum and is an accomplished picture guy also.
Mike Whitson owns Take a walk with Mother Nature - check out his work.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #36

Hi Twisty

Some great shots there. And I couldn't agree more - like most things it's not so much the equipment, but the operator.

Randy
Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #37

Yukon Don

Interesting shots. Here is a website that has some interesting info regarding how to photograph star-trails.
How To Photograph Star Trails - Photography by James Vernacotola
Stars are one thing I haven't shot yet but I think I will give it a try. This weekend we were on a beach-side camp ground and the stars were amazing.

Let me know how it goes. I will post some images once I get another chance ot get out and try it.

Randy
Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #38
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
I took this picture (along with several others) several years ago with a point-and-shoot camera, and they have become some of my very favorite pictures. Also, I was so focused on getting good pictures, I failed to notice the really bad storm approaching me from behind. I was on the very end of a pier about 1/3 of a mile out in the Gulf of Mexico when the storm hit, and I was drenched.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'12 Columbus 320RS - 2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch & 2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015: 458 ~ Nights Camping 2016: 95 So Far
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #39
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
And, I love the blueish tint that showed up just a few minutes later.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'12 Columbus 320RS - 2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch & 2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015: 458 ~ Nights Camping 2016: 95 So Far
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #40

OK, thanks for the links Twisty and Randy. Gives me some good stuff to go on.
(an aside: Twisty and randy ??? - sounds like the title of a very naughty book ).

Beautiful shots, Robert