Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #511
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HuntsVegas, AL
Posts: 5,990
Bob,


Some nice photos brother!!
__________________

__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #512
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Bob,


Some nice photos brother!!
Thank you sir. I appreciate the comment.

Seeing the Blue Herons in the tree was a real treat but this is my favorite heron shot. I was relaxing on a recliner under a palapa in Mexico (Akumal) when this fellow came strolling by at the edge of the ocean and caught a Sergeant Major fish in the surf right in front of me. Sometimes dumb luck is better than skill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7356_11 - Copy.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	112050
__________________

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #513
Senior Member
 
Wobbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Southern, IL
Posts: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Thank you sir. I appreciate the comment.

Seeing the Blue Herons in the tree was a real treat but this is my favorite heron shot. I was relaxing on a recliner under a palapa in Mexico (Akumal) when this fellow came strolling by at the edge of the ocean and caught a Sergeant Major fish in the surf right in front of me. Sometimes dumb luck is better than skill.

Attachment 112050
You have been posting some fine pictures, so go with the timing thing.
__________________
Bob & Michelle
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4
2015 Grey Wolf 26BH
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #514
Canadian Member
 
itat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,227
I just found this thread so maybe I can ask for some advice on a new camera. We've had our Canon SX110is for several years and it takes decent photographs but I want to replace it with something with more zoom and that won't eat batteries for breakfast! We attending our oldest DS's university grad last month and really wished we had a better zoom for the dark auditorium shots. The lens on the SX110is says it's a 6.0-60.0mm and 1:2.8-4.3.

I'll likely never be into manual photography since I find f-stops, apertures, etc. to be very confusing, so the vast majority of my photography would be using the Auto-mode. I'm considering a basic DSLR like a Nikon D3300 with the standard "AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II zoom lens". Is this a good choice for a very amateur photographer? Would I need a longer lens for more zoom (for indoor and outdoor shots)?

I just posted some shots, taken with the Canon SX110is, here:
Let's see your 2016 Campsites
__________________
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #515
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HuntsVegas, AL
Posts: 5,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Thank you sir. I appreciate the comment.

Seeing the Blue Herons in the tree was a real treat but this is my favorite heron shot. I was relaxing on a recliner under a palapa in Mexico (Akumal) when this fellow came strolling by at the edge of the ocean and caught a Sergeant Major fish in the surf right in front of me. Sometimes dumb luck is better than skill.

Attachment 112050
HOLY CRAP that is ANOTHER awesome shot!!! WOW!!
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #516
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I just found this thread so maybe I can ask for some advice on a new camera. We've had our Canon SX110is for several years and it takes decent photographs but I want to replace it with something with more zoom and that won't eat batteries for breakfast! We attending our oldest DS's university grad last month and really wished we had a better zoom for the dark auditorium shots. The lens on the SX110is says it's a 6.0-60.0mm and 1:2.8-4.3.

I'll likely never be into manual photography since I find f-stops, apertures, etc. to be very confusing, so the vast majority of my photography would be using the Auto-mode. I'm considering a basic DSLR like a Nikon D3300 with the standard "AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II zoom lens". Is this a good choice for a very amateur photographer? Would I need a longer lens for more zoom (for indoor and outdoor shots)?

I just posted some shots, taken with the Canon SX110is, here:
Let's see your 2016 Campsites
I consider DSLR cameras to be the realm of serious photography hobbyists. Since by your own admission you will probably only be using Auto-mode on your next camera you might consider the Panasonic Lumix FZ-200 while they are still available for purchase. It has a long zoom of 24X (25mm-600mm) and a fixed f2.8 aperture across the entire zoom making it great for low light situations. While they are still available you can pick one up for around $300. The newest version of that camera is the FZ-300 and costs about $300 dollars more.

By the way I have a Canon SX110is and I still use it for my backup camera. It’s a great little camera with a 10X zoom lens which is the DSLR equivalent of a 36mm – 360mm lens. The DSLR Nikkor lens you mentioned is only an 18-55mm lens. A 50mm lens basically produces what your eye sees (excluding peripheral vision.)

To be quite honest with you, I think you should just continue to use your Canon camera.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #517
Canadian Member
 
itat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,227
Thanks for the reply and advice, Bob. If the SX110is didn't eat batteries so quickly I would stick with it for a while longer but it's just ridiculous how often we have to put new AA batteries in it. That and the little CR1220 just died (although that's not a big deal) and I can't find a replacement locally.

If I'm going to spend some money on a new camera it has to have a lot better battery life and I'd like to get something that takes even better pictures in Auto mode.

I'll have a look at the Panasonic Lumix FZs.
__________________
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #518
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 4,734
Darn, I meant to address the issue of batteries. Energizer makes an Ultimate Lithium AA battery that lasts up to 9 times longer than regular energizers. The Lithiums aren’t cheap but I can vouch that they do last a lot longer. I can usually find a 4 pack for around $10 at Home Depot. These are the batteries I use in my SX110, my SX160, and my Fuji S8200.

The beauty of using AA batteries is you can buy them anywhere in the world. The only disadvantage to having a camera that uses a dedicated battery is if the battery goes dead you can’t use your camera unless you have a spare battery.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #519
Member
 
aufinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I just found this thread so maybe I can ask for some advice on a new camera. We've had our Canon SX110is for several years and it takes decent photographs but I want to replace it with something with more zoom and that won't eat batteries for breakfast! We attending our oldest DS's university grad last month and really wished we had a better zoom for the dark auditorium shots. The lens on the SX110is says it's a 6.0-60.0mm and 1:2.8-4.3.

I'll likely never be into manual photography since I find f-stops, apertures, etc. to be very confusing, so the vast majority of my photography would be using the Auto-mode. I'm considering a basic DSLR like a Nikon D3300 with the standard "AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II zoom lens". Is this a good choice for a very amateur photographer? Would I need a longer lens for more zoom (for indoor and outdoor shots)?
To get those indoor graduation shots, you're not going to be able to shoot AUTO and get the results I think you'll be happy with. Because you will most likely be out of flash range, you'll want to set the aperture at the camera's lowest (widest) setting in Aperture Priority. Note that in the Nikkor 18-55 lens you list above, the aperture for the lens when zoomed to 55mm is 5.6 (3.5 when set to 18mm). That's a very slow lens. In order to get the shot, you're going to have to jack up the ISO (light sensitivity) up - WAY UP. Otherwise, with a regular ISO setting, the shutter speed will be too low for good hand-held shots. The good news is that with each new camera model the quality of very high ISO pictures is amazing better then their predecessors. As far as the zoom, 55mm will most likely give you pictures of the entire stage. Ideally you should have a lens in the 100 to 200 mm range. Again, the good news is that many of the newer cameras are in the 18 to 24 megapixel range. These larger megapixel cameras will allow you to crop the picture and get decent close-ups without using a long telephoto lens.
__________________
2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7L DC
2016 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
USMC (Retired) 70-91
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #520
Canadian Member
 
itat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Darn, I meant to address the issue of batteries. Energizer makes an Ultimate Lithium AA battery that lasts up to 9 times longer than regular energizers. The Lithiums aren’t cheap but I can vouch that they do last a lot longer. I can usually find a 4 pack for around $10 at Home Depot. These are the batteries I use in my SX110, my SX160, and my Fuji S8200.

The beauty of using AA batteries is you can buy them anywhere in the world. The only disadvantage to having a camera that uses a dedicated battery is if the battery goes dead you can’t use your camera unless you have a spare battery.
Thanks for the tip!
__________________

__________________
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.