Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
B47

Plishing on Yahoo.

Yesterday I received a land line phone call from "The State of Texas" or at least that's what the caller ID said. The call came from the 512 area code which covers Austin which is the capital of Texas.

The caller had a foreign accent and the call was somewhat broken up in its transmission. The caller,which I couldn't fully understand,keep saying something about my computer.

After listening for about 2 minutes I hung up without giving him many information,which he didn't get a chance to ask for. I thought nothing more about it any both my desk top and ipad4 worked normally the rest of the evening.

When I turned on my Ipad this morning,I got a message that said my Yahoo Messenger had been accessed from an unknown location.

I called our provider,ATT, and was told that the Yahoo network had been plishec (sp). ATT was able to restore the Yahoo network and it's working now.

FYI.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
My wife got the same phone call and hung up within the 1st 10 seconds. Have not noticed any messages such as you got. IMO it's best to hang up as fast as you can when you get phone calls from persons with strong foreign accents. My 95 year old mother has been getting calls almost every day from Jamaica for over a month telling her she won millions. I signed her up for caller ID so now she can ignore the calls from area code 866. I called the US Senate Special Committee on Aging and they referred to that as "The Jamaica Lottery Scam".

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

For the past 10 years, I've been collecting "Nigerian email scams". Not sure what the count is now, but some of them are hilarious! If you're not familiar with these scams, it's usually someone has inherited a very large sum of money, but needs your help to collect it, of which you will receive a nice percentage. The emails contain a lot of broken English and some bad context, which make them really funny.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #4

We have caller ID if we don't recognize the number I pickup the phone and hang it back up in one motion.
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
My wife got the same phone call and hung up within the 1st 10 seconds. Have not noticed any messages such as you got. IMO it's best to hang up as fast as you can when you get phone calls from persons with strong foreign accents. My 95 year old mother has been getting calls almost every day from Jamaica for over a month telling her she won millions. I signed her up for caller ID so now she can ignore the calls from area code 866. I called the US Senate Special Committee on Aging and they referred to that as "The Jamaica Lottery Scam".
As stated earlier we have caller ID and when I saw "State of Texas" and the 512 area code, I thought it was legit. The ATT person said these creeps can put about any area code they want in their phone number.

I report spam calls on the National Do Not Call website so I always answer calls that I don't recognize so I can be certain they are spam - some calls are legit like political,calls for clothing donations,etc.

BTW - I can't really tell if the National Do Not Call thing is effective or not as they won't tell you what happens after you report a call.

Anyone here got an opinion of them?
Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I LOVE these calls!

I always say, "Oh wait a minute and I will turn down the water on the stove and be right back." I then lay the reciever on the table and go about my business.

I am still amazed at how long those idiots will wait before hanging up.
I think I save an average of 10 folks every day that these guys don't get to call.

So, for every day you don't get a call, you can thank me!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I get a lot of the Nigerian email scams too and they are hilariously stupid. However, I don't want to loose site that these scams are very real to the elderly that aren't as knowing as many of us. The number of elderly and even others that loose so much because they think that the unbelievable has happened is just that. Unbelievable. Please, to all who read this post continue talking to your elderly parents about scams. This is a different world than what used to be the norm.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I get a lot of the Nigerian email scams too and they are hilariously stupid. However, I don't want to loose site that these scams are very real to the elderly that aren't as knowing as many of us. The number of elderly and even others that loose so much because they think that the unbelievable has happened is just that. Unbelievable. Please, to all who read this post continue talking to your elderly parents about scams. This is a different world than what used to be the norm.
You hear that B47? I'm notifying the elderly! Don't fall victim!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
You hear that B47? I'm notifying the elderly! Don't fall victim!
Got it and Thanks - but if I'm one of the "elderly" you're notifying,you better do it on a daily basis as I tend to forget things most often now.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I LOVE these calls!

I always say, "Oh wait a minute and I will turn down the water on the stove and be right back." I then lay the reciever on the table and go about my business.

I think I save an average of 10 folks every day that these guys don't get to call.

I tell them I get $100/hr to listen to BS with a minimum charge of $50, how long do you want to talk?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I tell them I get $100/hr to listen to BS with a minimum charge of $50, how long do you want to talk?
Now, that's funny!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Hell, I charge 'em more than that Coot... your muddying up the waters
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I LOVE these calls!

Love these calls too. Rather than leave them hanging I usually give them all kinds of wrong information, lead them on letting them think they are getting somewhere, build them up and then I finish with a load f bomb. I usually wait to see what there reaction is. Somethings they tell me to piss off and hang up on me. Those are the best ones.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
NELA

Dad got a *letter* from one of these scammers. English was hardly what I'd call the language used, but the gist of it was;

wealthy man died in Nigeria, his widow needed help getting his money out of the bank, and the bank was charging her a fee to get the money. She promised my Dad half of the money if he'd front the fee. (eyeroll)

IIRC there was about 4 million involved and she needed 5K to get it out of the bank.

Daddy didn't realize it was a scam! Thankfully he asked me what I thought about it before he responded. (shaking my head) Dad is 85 and when he was 55 he was *way* too money wise to fall for something this obvious.

The frightening thing is these people knew Dad's home address, including zip code, and knew what his occupation was as well. I guess since dad does NOT do credit in any form (he couldn't even get a cell phone in his name because he's cash only and has no credit references...he was LIVID! lol) they decided to go directly to the source with him.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #15
Site Team

Answer these calls and start pressing all the phone buttons. Occasionally the computer that made the call will since a fax machine and drop your number from their call list. Or if someone gets on the phone, he only hears a lot of beeping. Give him about 5 seconds worth then hang up.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Dad got a *letter* from one of these scammers. English was hardly what I'd call the language used, but the gist of it was;

wealthy man died in Nigeria, his widow needed help getting his money out of the bank, and the bank was charging her a fee to get the money. She promised my Dad half of the money if he'd front the fee. (eyeroll)

IIRC there was about 4 million involved and she needed 5K to get it out of the bank.

Daddy didn't realize it was a scam! Thankfully he asked me what I thought about it before he responded. (shaking my head) Dad is 85 and when he was 55 he was *way* too money wise to fall for something this obvious.

The frightening thing is these people knew Dad's home address, including zip code, and knew what his occupation was as well. I guess since dad does NOT do credit in any form (he couldn't even get a cell phone in his name because he's cash only and has no credit references...he was LIVID! lol) they decided to go directly to the source with him.
I'm not into these scams,but every time I read about them,they almost always involve a foreign speaking person ( and poorly speaking foreign speaking person) pitching the same line.

I guess they work on the assumption that even if they get a small amount of suckers they consider it lucrative enough to take the chance.

Seems like they need to change their pitch line and get English speaking persons to make the calls.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #17

We have DirecTV at home and when calls come on our landline the number shows up on the TV and if we don't know who it is we don't answer. If they are good calls they will leave a message on the answering machine and they rarely ever do.
Now if I can only get my better half to drop the landline I will be happy.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #18

For the past 15 or so years we have done fine without a LL, I figure it has saved us about $750 a year.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
We have DirecTV at home and when calls come on our landline the number shows up on the TV and if we don't know who it is we don't answer. If they are good calls they will leave a message on the answering machine and they rarely ever do.
Now if I can only get my better half to drop the landline I will be happy.
You sound like my wife here and I admit it makes sense,but let me throw this out - I registered my land line phone with the National Do Not Call (NDNC) website and we also have the Caller ID feature.

So when I receive a call from a number I don't recognized,I answer it and if it's junk or a gimmick I hang up and file a complain with the NDNC.

Not all the calls are junk or gimmicks,but simply calls from numbers I don't readily recognize such as Doctors reminding me of a pending appointment,etc.

So my question is - if I don't answer the call,how would I know if it's a junk or gimmick call and then report it to the NDNC or simply a legit call?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
For the past 15 or so years we have done fine without a LL, I figure it has saved us about $750 a year.
I have heard of people who have done the same thing. I have also heard,but haven't yet tried,that your LL provider will sometimes reduce your LL fee if you threaten to drop the LL.