Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #21
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Unbeleivable !!!
We would not even start to think about it in Ontario Canada.
That's one subject where we're totally opposites.

And yes Black I was robbed in Hurst Ontario. A group broke into our room and robbed two of us. I was defenseless and we lost around two thousand dollars. I was not a happy person but I'm going to be fair and say a weapon my or my not have made a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil and Dianna
2011 Berkshire 390 RB
Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 12-19-2014, 11:49 PM   #22
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Not all of us Americans are gun toting folks.
That's ok cuz some of us have enough to make up the

2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #23
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
That's ok cuz some of us have enough to make up the

Ha, X2,

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #24
Yep, there are many forms of protection. We keep several with us while traveling. The four legged one, then there's the LOUD high decibel alarm, the bear stopper pepper spray, the ever popular Louisville slugger and last but not least - Mr. Glock. Your best defense is yourself. Remain aware of your surroundings; stay alert and keep your cell phone handy. We did the West coast trip this past spring. Started in MD, went south to FL and caught I10 to take us across to CA. Came back on I80. Was gone for 2 months. Wish we'd made it 3. Enjoy yourselves, take your time and travel safe!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 03:59 AM   #25
We carry and have our concealed permit. We don't feel the need for protection while camping but you never know when you might break down and need to either hike down the road or hitch a ride or leave the wife alone while taking care of a break down so we carry. There could be times when hiking a trail that you need to protect yourself from an animal or something. I carry at all times and most folks are never aware of it. And I'm certainly no gun nut. I only have two hand guns and I do go to the range and stay current on using the gun. I do believe if guns scare you should not own one and if you own one you should be very familiar with it!
carolinacamper1 is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 05:39 AM   #26
"On the road again"
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
We won't go on any trip - even a short trip (like to WalMart) without protection. Texas has what is called the "Motorist Protection Law" which basically says if you are in your car ANYWHERE you have the right to be armed - unless you are a felon, unless you are a member of a gang or unless you are committing any crime except speeding or some other traffic offense). With all he craziness in the world - it's nice to be there and I hope to never raise it,'s there if needed. And we have protection inside our RV anytime we're there. Also licensed for conceal carry.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'12 Columbus 320RS - 2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch & 2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015: 458 ~ Nights Camping 2016: 95 So Far
rjshiflet is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by MountainTrippers View Post
We are planning a major trip from Va. to the west coast and everything in between. I would like to know what anyone that has a opinion thinks about having protection in your RV. We are thinking about some pretty remote sites.
If you have a VA. CHP license, then you will need to check out each state you plan on visiting and check out their reciprocity with the VA. CHP. This is a good website to check that out: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry If going through a state that does not recognize VA's license, then you would need to lock up your weapon in an inaccessible area while traveling through that state, according to DOT gun carry regulations. NRA-ILA | Guide To The Interstate Transportation

I took an 8 state trip a couple of years ago, and was allowed to carry concealed in 7 states, but had to lock up my piece coming back through Maryland.

There may be additional rules that some state have that need to be honored, so it might be good to check out each states website for specific regulations.

Another thing to consider is whether each campground where you plan on staying prohibits guns or not. I know that COE campgrounds prohibit guns, as well as many state parks. I consider a prohibition rule as having no guns, not just a gun locked up.

Even though I have a valid VA. CHP, when the missus and start doing more traveling when she retires, I will probably leave my piece at home. There are just too many questions and restrictions when traveling across this great continent. If I want to go to Canada, I can without question. If I want to stay in a COE campground or state park, I can without violating rules. My dog with a wicked swinging tail and some pepper spray will be my backup defense system if running, hiding, giving up my possessions, reasoning and other primary defenses fail to work.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #28
I'm retired, and I carry; however, I have carried a handgun for the past x-number of years, regardless of where I have lived (NY, MI, TN, GA, UT, ID with some temp assignments in IL, CA and a few overseas countries). So carrying a handgun to me is like carrying my cell phone; it's a part of getting dressed.

Have I ever needed it when not working...yes; twice. Once in my own home at about 3AM, and once in Dayton OH at a service station.

I also take a 12-gauge (loaded with 300 gr Brenekke slugs) with me when I head up into grizzly country, but I prefer to use a good bear spray and have, and it works.

So, if you have a legal authority to carry a weapon with you, do so, but only if you feel comfortable using it if needed. And yes, if carrying under a concealed permit, always check state laws for the state you are going through or camping in. And I advise to check those laws at the state's website, not on some gun forum on the internet. Laws change and those websites may not update as fast as they should.

And I don't mean just the laws on whether or not you can carry or have a weapon with you, check the laws on when it is legal to use.
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is online now   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #29
Excellent points. Before you choose to carry know in your mind 100% that you will use it if needed otherwise it is a weapon you are giving to a criminal. You can't count on showing the weapon and think they will run away. To use one against anyone would be a awful experience to go through. I hope that I never need to. Life is not the movies. Anyone thinking of carrying a long gun or pistol in their RV should take classes on self defense not just shooting.
It seems as though this forum has turned a corner as we are having a reasonable discussion about touchy subjects without the anger and name calling. This is great because this is an important subject and really unique to RV's. I thought this would be closed by the tenth post.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Phil and Dianna
2011 Berkshire 390 RB
Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #30
2014 XLR 27HFS
A polarized topic for sure. If I never need it, wonderful. But if someone tries to come into my camper and harm my family, they will meet a bullet not a victim. Sorry if that offends those with the rose colored glasses.

Dave & Audrey
dave961 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread