Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #41

Remote sites are not the only dangerous places you should be concerned. Truck stops, parking lots, fuel stations and restaurants can be just as dangerous if not more so.
I'm a NRA certified firearms instructor and all in my family [4] have CCWs and wouldn't leave home without protection. Without, you are a target. It only takes once to be sorry.
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #42

Protection while on the road

A tiny bit off... I have a CC permit. I thankfully have never needed it. I only carry in my truck...truck goes camping.
My recently deceased fathers house got broken into. Dope-heads took everything they could haul... Couple years ago a pretty close neighbor got robbed...he caught them in the house upon arrival. I have had a few nightmare/dreams about prowlers, fortunately haven't seen any. I had a dream someone tried to take my GS as I was putting him in the truck. Never too careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #43

We live approx 10 miles from Sandy Hook. Talk about an emotion ridden and controversial issue, gun control. I was brought up to have a keen respect for firearms, my Dad taught me to shoot at a very young age. We live in a crazy world, the have's and have-nots living an ever widening gap. I have my CCW and had my three kids all go the NRA basic safety course. When camping I bring along "Betsy".... my 20g Mossberg 500 with a shortened (legal) 18.5" barrel. Betsy's nestled securely in the trailer loaded with #3 buck. That scattergun makes a bone chilling 'clack-clack' when racked. That alone would hopefully scare off a bad guy.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Never consume alcohol while in possession of a firearm.
I had a situation that happened and I was very happy I had a weapon with me. The same two that stalked me tried to carjack a car. I always carry and always aware of my surroundings. Legal law abiding citizens are not the problem. The criminal element will always have an illegal weapon. Be prepared.
As for Canada. It is their country and you must abide by their laws. If I ever go to Canada again I will be leaving my weapons at home.
Funny thing is I have only been robbed in Canada.

Thank-you and RattleNsmoke for your kind words before they were deleted. I believe in safe travel on the road. I have an iron on my hip when I travel and even when I sit in a pew (no kidding). And Before any of you say that that is unlawful, it is not so, with the full knowledge and consent of the Minister and Elders. I have always said this... "Safety, first and always".

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #45

I wonder why that happened?

Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

That was a site team decision.

When posting to this thread, there is a "hot topic" warning that everybody gets warning to be careful when posting. Some posts cross that line. Most gun threads end up closed, and this 1 is getting close to that. Seems like every post builds on the previous until it gets way off topic, and things go south in a hurry. The site team allows gun topics related to camping, and that is what we need to get back to if there is an chance of this thread staying alive.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #48

I totally agree and attempted to keep this thread on topic. It's a important topic to discuss as I believe a large number of people arm themselves when camping or as we do full time in our RV. It's important to be safe and a responsibility to keep your firearms secured and legal. It can be difficult to do in a RV. I would not like to see this thread closed from something I said.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #49

Definitely a touchy subject and kudo's to the mod team for keeping things civil. Not an easy task for sure.

As a Canadian that travels VERY frequently in the US this is something I have often thought of. Our family has chosen to not have any firearms in our house. The reasons are our own.

We frequently Walmart it and more than once my spidey sense has went off, and in each case the thought of 'protection' has been forefront in my mind. While I did grow up around firearms for hunting and I have no issue with them, carrying them for protection is not something I'd ever be willing to do. I do however have a beagle that will bark loud enough to be heard for several states and when I feel it necessary I do take precautionary measures. If I do get to the point where I feel that carrying a weapon is needed to make me and my family feel safe when traveling through an area, it will be the last time I travel through that area.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #50

My small experiences with "the world" are not very worldly. I was raised kinda sheltered in a smaller town and we didn't see a lot of the ugly. The world is now instantly broadcast and everyone knows what's going on. I also believe that this causes panic and unrest which causes us to err on the cautious side of life. I can't help to worry about my family in a camping type environment where you really have no idea who your neighbor is. As stated here before...these thugs are not camping...it's the drifters looking for easy picking that causes the problems.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #51
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
We frequently Walmart it and more than once my spidey sense has went off, and in each case the thought of 'protection' has been forefront in my mind.
I wondered in the few times we Wallydocked it in the US if we put a target on our trailer because our Canadian licence plates made it obvious we aren't carrying?

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #52

Protection while on the road

I don't think that most of the idiots out trying rob or worse are smart enough to know what the laws in Canada are. You can still arm yourself in the states just not a handgun. I have stayed in
many Walmart's and only once had a problem and that was taken care of by being aware of my surroundings(I was out walking our two little yapping dogs). As my firearms instructor said many times your best defense is being aware and prepared. Because you chose to carry doesn't make you Rambo and it's almost always better to dial 911 than pull out a weapon. Safe travels to everyone over the Christmas holidays.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #53
DDC

So where do all the people that "carry" camp? I ask that because nearly every campground we stay at clearly states that firearms are not allowed. I am surprised at how many say they "carry" and hope that if anyone ever uses one in a campground they manage to hit their target because these trailers are not armour plated and I;d hate to see anyone killed.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #54

Most of the sighs that I have seen and I haven't seen many are posted to keep people from walking around with a weapon in plain sight. I ask if I see a sign and am told so far ever time not to worry about it. Some campgrounds even have a place to shoot. My first question is where is the closest range. Never been a problem.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #55

If anyone needs to use a weapon it most likely because someone has a weapon that is illegal and trying to do someone harm. It's not the Wild West.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
So where do all the people that "carry" camp? I ask that because nearly every campground we stay at clearly states that firearms are not allowed. I am surprised at how many say they "carry" and hope that if anyone ever uses one in a campground they manage to hit their target because these trailers are not armour plated and I;d hate to see anyone killed.
We've never seen a campground stating that firearms weren't allowed but have yet to travel outside the USA. I know you can't bring handguns but what about rifles in Canada? (I hope they do know there's a LOT of bear in the Yukon!)

We wouldn't leave the house without mine and what I bring depends on the location. (Larger cal for when we're in bear country and I actually did think I was going to have to use my .45 once when one hung right around us the entire time....leaving his skat all around.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I camp in State Parks. I camp in Federal Campgrounds. I camp at Very very few private campgrounds as the campers are parked to close together for my comfert. It has been noted the COE campgrounds 'do not' allow firearms for personal protection on 'their/our' military lands. This is not completely true. The Idaho COE were sued about their restrictions and lost. I have personally called (always call and ask) about the rules of the COE campgrounds in the state that I live in. I informed them that I have a CCW. At one, the superintendent told me to 'open carry' when I was 'off my campsite' (I live in an open carry state). The other said to conceal carry only when I am off my camp site. Call for the rules of the park and ask again when you get there to be on the safe side.

My major safety concern is not the campgrounds themselves, but getting to and from them. I travel hundreds and hundreds of miles pulling a camper. Long days of traveling and late into the night. There have been several times late at night and needing fuel and pulling into a place and not 'feeling' right, pulled right back out and kept going. I know of two times where when I stopped for fuel, I did not allow my family to get out of the truck because of my gut feelings. The tread is about protection on the road.... follow your gut.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #58

Protection on the road

I want to thank all for staying within the context of the subject and giving so much constructive advise. I think I will have the Louisville slugger and a Firearm. I will check for the local laws in the states I visit. Just for the record I do believe that law abiding people are not the problem here. The right to bare arms is guaranteed by the US Constitution and must be exercised to make it remain valid. I served in the Army and have a great respect for firearms. I do refrain from calling it a Gun though because in the military gun refers to something else entirely.

Thanks to all
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

The OP seems satisfied with the responses, and it appears all of his questions have been answered. With that being said, the thread has run it's course, and will be closed.

Thanks to all that kept this civil, with only a few posts that got off track.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply
Closed Thread