Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #1

Purchasing property to camp on?

The wife and I are tossing around the idea of getting some property to camp on in our home state of Colorado, FairPlay,Hartsel & Como area to be exact. Just wondering if any of you guys and gals do or have done this and how your experience was/is . the location is roughly an hour from our house and a pretty easy drive.The property is 40-60 acres surrounded by state land. real private and beautiful views with great fishing and hunting near by right now but would build a steel building with solar/wind power and septic in the future. This camp property is an idea that I've had since we moved here, just don't know if its a good idea😳
Thanks in advance for any input.
Rick
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #2

We've been doing that for many years now. We live in south central PA and our ppty is in the southern tier of NY. About a 3-4 hour drive depending on traffic and stops. There's nothing there of any value. A stone fire, picnic table, firewood and garbage barrel. We don't have electric or water. I did have a gravel parking pad built.

Love the peace and quiet.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

Such a nice area. We like to camp on Bruno Gulch Road which is on Guanella pass road, just a few miles from Grant, CO. I guess it would depend on the price of the property. I'd actually be interested in knowing what you're looking at. It's something I would probably consider as well one day. The one thing we hate about camping is being around people. We want to let the dogs, and ourselves, run free without interference from anyone else. We get very close to that on Bruno Gulch Road. Would be pretty awesome to have a plot of land up in that area that has some sort of natural water on it.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #4

I've looked into it, I'm considering it as an option to move once changes at home happen.

Enough solar to run the AC would be expensive, but doable. I was going to plan it around pouring a pad, full sewer and water hookup, maybe a power post just for the AC, solar for all other times.

I'd position it strategically so that when/if I built a house the pad could stay as is for camper storage.

So I would be all over it given the chance.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having A Ball View Post
The wife and I are tossing around the idea of getting some property to camp on in our home state of Colorado, FairPlay,Hartsel & Como area to be exact. Just wondering if any of you guys and gals do or have done this and how your experience was/is . the location is roughly an hour from our house and a pretty easy drive.The property is 40-60 acres surrounded by state land. real private and beautiful views with great fishing and hunting near by right now but would build a steel building with solar/wind power and septic in the future. This camp property is an idea that I've had since we moved here, just don't know if its a good idea😳
Thanks in advance for any input.
Rick
South park is a nice area. Some of my family lives in bueny and we go to Taylor Park a lot for riding and fishing.

I would not mind it either but would need at least 10 acres to make it worth while for riding the atv's and other stuff.

I am still not sure I would want just one place to camp........
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

[QUOTE=RPAspey;606014]

Love the peace and quiet.

Thats the main reason we are considering this ! We are a growing family and enjoy everything outdoors. We will be traveling to other destinations as well. We have family in TX and FL, that we will visit too.
Most property I am looking at is around $800-$1000 an acre. Power is near by but no water in most cases. The solar and wind option is the way to go here and unless we build a cabin, that's the only reason I'd pull power.
The hunting and fishing in these areas are enough to keep ya busy for months, so no lack of entertainment here!
Thanks for everyone's input, all great points
Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

$800 an acre is good. That's what I paid for my farm in NY. Starting out with a pad is good. Add conveniences as you need them. We don't have any desire right now for anything but good weather when we head up to out "Muddy Hill"

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #8

I would think that CO land for $800 per acre would have issues with electricty and water? I once lived in CO Springs in the very early 1970s and the land west of there was very nice for a summer retreat but all that I looked at had no water or reasonable electricty. Drilling a well and having power extended to the property was very expensive. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I would think that CO land for $800 per acre would have issues with electricty and water? I once lived in CO Springs in the very early 1970s and the land west of there was very nice for a summer retreat but all that I looked at had no water or reasonable electricty. Drilling a well and having power extended to the property was very expensive. Good Luck

Only issue is having deep enough pocket to do it. [emoji44] the prices for land in this area have stayed the same for the last four years or so at that price ( our budget) we can make it work.
What I have found is the people that did build homes dug a well and run solar with propane generators ! Again, deep pockets!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 AM   #10

True, it takes money. But, I feel it would be worth it.

A well is typical and should only cost a few thousand dollars for a drilled well and pump.

The generator would be about $10K for a household emergency unit, but frankly I'd go with a camping style. Even two Honda EU2000i gensets, couple of grand investment and are fuel misers. Or get the 6500 model, it's $4,000 or so, plenty of wattage and I'm confident can be converted to propane.

The solar, I don't know about for sure regarding what it would take but lets call it $10K.

For less than $20K you could have functional utilities at the new land. The well, you're stuck on price but the generators and solar are dependent on you, being able to buy used, and what you want. Buy property, get improvements factored into the purchase price if financing and pay for them that way.

That's what I'm planning on doing.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

Be sure to check zoning rules! They stung a guy on another forum with drainage and setbacks for egress.
Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #12

Please get prices for the well before you start, that sounds cheap for the well. They wanted a lot more then that west of CO Springs in 1971 or 1972. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #13

The well price really depends on where. Here it was $15 a foot and a 100 foot well was common, but we have decent soil here with loose rocks. It's also been a minute since I had one quoted.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Depending on how inclined you are to doing your own work, there are ways to cut a lot of the costs down for your utilities.

This guys website Michael Davis Publishing - Mike's World. contains a bunch of walkthoughs on how he built his own solar panels, charge controllers, wind turbines, a gassifier and a host of other crap to be off the grid for cheap.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #15

I'm of the mind set to keep it "camping style" as SKnight stated ! If I want to just buy a cabin in the mts, well you get the point. Again those are nice luxuries to have but there still a lil something to roughing it if you can call it that! I plan on doing everything myself and hopefully pull the trigger next winter. Truly the land it's self is my motivation to get away from the city and enjoy Gods country. We are a youngish family starting to make memories for our little ones, two girls! Like minded people get it, some say I'm nuts ( maybe true) but I've been called worse.
Sorry for the rant, thanks for everyone insight.