Old 06-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #11

Thanks for the input folks and thank you Briorick for the details. Mountndream, I have a lot to think about next year and have added your suggestion, to my list of consideration.

There is a lot to take in (think on). Everyone's comments have helped me plan for the future.

I do wonder, what do some of the big distance travelers do with these conditions? I want to travel with the wife without telling her a local Walmart is our safety net.

Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

I tink they need to go back to the old system first come first served. Also enforce site must be occupide. The new on line booking sucks and around here you got to make your plans about a year in advace. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #13

It's not all games. When you're booking 9 months in advance, you are assuming a lot of things, not the least of which is being alive. Things happen: illness, camper is in the shop, a wedding you must attend. Considerate campers will cancel as soon as plans change. That's why you want to stay on top of Reserve America for those openings.

Do some people deliberately overbook and play games, screwing up the rest of us? Absolutely. Price you pay for being part of the human race.

Personally I now prefer the reserve method to the old first come, first served although it took me awhile to come around. There is a park with beach sites we could never get. Locals would grab and through their network, a buddy would show up and grab as the site was going to be vacated. This went on all summer. After Reserve America came in, we had a fighting chance.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
cogito ergo moo

There is a popular COE campground on the Black River here in MO. It used to be you had to log in at 12:01am exactly 6 months before your date just to get an electric site for the weekend. Now what is happening is that people are starting to reserve the sites starting on the preceding Wednesday for 4 day to get a jump on everyone else, and just not arriving till Friday night.

Thats one thing the RV dealers never tell you is that the "Hey! We have nothing to do this weekend, lets load up and go camping!" days are long over.

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
There is a popular COE campground on the Black River here in MO. It used to be you had to log in at 12:01am exactly 6 months before your date just to get an electric site for the weekend. Now what is happening is that people are starting to reserve the sites starting on the preceding Wednesday for 4 day to get a jump on everyone else, and just not arriving till Friday night.

Tim
I hate that campground now, I liked the old one alot better.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #16

We booked last winter for our two week stay at South Beach State Park in Oregon. Even then, we only had a bout a half dozen sites left to choose from. I make notes about when the different reservations sites are available (BC, WA, and Oregon mainly) and we sit down, schedule our camping weekends and book as soon as it is possible.

Random camping weekends are almost always made to lesser used Forest Service sites here in BC. It would be next to impossible to drive into any BC provincial campground on a summer Friday and expect to find a vacant site.

Plan ahead, plan ahead, plan ahead. The good part is it both gives you something to look forward to...and by the time the summer camping season arrives you have already paid for your camping spots a long while ago.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikebubble View Post

Plan ahead, plan ahead, plan ahead. The good part is it both gives you something to look forward to...and by the time the summer camping season arrives you have already paid for your camping spots a long while ago.

Plan ahead.....This is what we do as well. We pre-plan and reserve a couple of long distant camping dates in advance, those that are usually more than a few hours from home. This works best for us and we have always been guaranteed a spot.

And then we take advantage of our long weekend outings ( we work 4- 10 hour days giving us a permanent 3 day weekend ) which are pretty much spontaneous and allow us to go at will. We have several campgrounds locally, so we take advantage of them.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:44 AM   #18

we got a popular park here ive just given up on. i just book at nearby private parks and day use the park. great thread...thanks for the tips
Old 07-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #19

We have a 6 hour drive to our favorite spot If it were first come, first serve, we would never get a prime site. It used to be that way, and we finally started driving up the night before and pitching a small tent on an empty site, pay in the morning, and scout the camp to see who was leaving. One night as we drove past the ranger booth, 6 yr old daughter said "What does No VaCANcy mean?" It took a few seconds to process, and we lucked out, as there had been a no-show that day, but it was a great relief when we were able to reserve by site.

I do play games, since we had a very unpleasant experience one year. "Our" site wasn't available for the first 2 days of our stay, so I booked those days on the site directly across from it. There was only a badminton net on "our" site. Two families had booked adjacent sites, and all were camping on the one in the woods, and using the net on the open site. The site we were on was much larger, and perfect for games, but when DH asked if they would switch with us for the 2 days, he got a grumpy NO. Now I reserve more than we need, and cancel when I'm sure of our dates.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #20

I now think, I too, must do "this thing of ours". Gonna learn how and when to play now. Just starting out. I still am happy about getting to go. Advice, experience is great.