Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #41

Same thing happens for big sporting events, political conventions, etc. Was floored at how much some folks were paying for Super Bowl tickets this year... I remember hearing about hotel prices when it was played in Detroit a few years back. People were renting their homes for $1000 a day!
Supply and demand. Agree with controls when natural disasters occur.
Need to go look do a search, I thought there were laws on the books stating that hotels/motels had to publish a room/rack rate for every room. What I kind of remember is that they couldn't exceed that rate, but could charge less. I remember seeing labels in hotel rooms with those rates, always thought they were outrageously high, like 3-4x what I actually paid.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #42

The Astronomy Picture of the Day ran this image of the average August fractional cloud amount. It could be worse...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EclipseClouds.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	130517  
Starry2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #43

[QUOTE=I thought there were laws on the books stating that hotels/motels had to publish a room/rack rate for every room. What I kind of remember is that they couldn't exceed that rate, but could charge less. I remember seeing labels in hotel rooms with those rates, always thought they were outrageously high, like 3-4x what I actually paid.[/QUOTE]

I'll bet not many people have ever noticed the rate schedule on the back of the door in every room, like $110 at a Motel 6 (shows you I have class). In some states there are anti-gouging laws that prevent merchants from taking advantage of a bad situation. I know Florida and Georgia and probably every state have a cap on gas prices margins for hurricane emergencies. The same could apply to room rates also. I have paid what I considered outrageous room rates that I (the company I worked for) had to pay in places like DC, Chicago, actually any major city.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #44
Real Nice Clark

I did find a fishing shop/outfitter outside of Casper that has RV spots. They normally charge $25/night. For the Eclipse, however, they wanted $125/night, 4 night minimum.
mountainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjunkie View Post
I did find a fishing shop/outfitter outside of Casper that has RV spots. They normally charge $25/night. For the Eclipse, however, they wanted $125/night, 4 night minimum.
WOW! Big thanks to the Rally organizers for getting us good prices!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #46
Always Learning

When we were in Huntsville, we went to the Von Braun Astronomical Society planetarium for a presentation on the upcoming eclipse. The presenter wasn't great and my son is super fidgety.

A week+ later, he was working on crafts and decided he wanted to make an eclipse viewer. I had to correct a couple of little things and help with tape, but the whole idea was his.

Name:	IMG_2658.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	132566

Name:	IMG_2659.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	132567

Now, I won't tell him that I actually sprung for eclipse viewing glasses for us (and extras to share!).

But, check out our #roadschooling!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:50 AM   #47

Awesome! He understood the significance of the event and the danger of watching without protection. Most important of all, he picked up on how to mitigate the danger by creating something protective himself.

That is a lesson that would serve many people his senior well. I do not think he will want your glasses now.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #48
Site Team - Lou

I would recommend a "box viewer" like we made as kids. Its a cardboard box with a pin hole in one end that you put over your head and watch the eclipse happening on the opposite side (like a movie screen).

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...projector.html

SO much safer than a tube.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	132576  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #49

That's the way I watched a total eclipse many years ago (1954). Some people used welding glasses back then but even that wasn't a good idea.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #50

^^^ x3

Using a tube, it is too easy to open your other eye and have it damaged!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #51
Always Learning

Sounds good. We have the special eclipse glasses that we'll use.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #52

I booked a site at Oconee State Park SC

for the eclipse. About 10 hours away and right on the line. I will be getting up early that day, prepared to drive if it looks cloudy there. Bucket list.
wherewolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #53

Our plans are to head to our property in McCall and then drive back into the Cascade area during the eclipse.
Love to communicate via the airwaves
WT7E (Ham Radio)
BobandAnitaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #54

From the Sunday Oregonian Newspaper this morning and also at oregonstateparks.org

News Media Oregon State Parks to open 1,000 additional eclipse campsites on April 19
04/11/2017

Starting at 8 a.m. April 19, 2017, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) will open reservations for approximately 1,000 campsites for the August 21, 2017 total solar eclipse. These sites are in addition to our regular campsites, most of which have been reserved since November 2016.

About two-thirds of the new sites are inside the path of totality, where visitors will see a total solar eclipse. Most of the others are within 30 miles of totality, in view of a partial eclipse. Prices range from $10 a night for a basic spot in a field or parking lot to $31 a night for an RV site with full hookups. All sites include an $8 nonrefundable reservation fee.

"We want to make this once-in-a-lifetime event available to as many campers as we can safely accommodate. That's why we decided to add additional campsites, all at an affordable cost," said OPRD spokesman Chris Havel.

All sites will have a three-night minimum, with check-in on Friday, Aug. 18 and check-out Monday, Aug. 21. Customers can make reservations beginning at 8 a.m. April 19 at oregonstateparks.org or reserveamerica.com or by calling the reservation line at 800-452-5687. Questions? Call the Oregon State Parks Information Center at 1-800-551-6949, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Customers may also email their questions to park.info@oregon.gov.

OPRD is making available two types of sites: traditional campsites and temporary eclipse camping spots.

Traditional campsites, representing about a third of the total sites available, are at parks that normally offer non-reservable, "first-come, first-served" camping. These have picnic tables and fire rings, but some do not have showers. No first-come, first-served camping will be available at these parks the nights of Aug. 18-20:

Coast: Beachside, Carl G. Washburne (both outside the path of totality).

Willamette Valley: North Santiam, Cascadia (both in path of totality); Cascara Campground at Fall Creek Reservoir (outside the path of totality).

Central and Eastern: Farewell Bend, Unity Lake, Clyde Holliday, and Bates (all in path of totality); Cottonwood Canyon, Catherine Creek, Ukiah-Dale, Minam, Red Bridge, Hilgard Junction, Lake Owyhee and Jasper Point (all outside path of totality) .

Two-thirds of the sites are in temporary eclipse camping areas at campgrounds and day-use parks with sufficient space and facilities. These $10 and $11 per-night sites provide a place to park and camp in a parking lot or field, but little else. They do not have hookups, fire pits or picnic tables. Some are at parks without flush toilets or showers; OPRD is adding portable toilets to accommodate extra people. Visitors with reservations for a temporary eclipse site will be assigned a space on arrival at the park.

Coast: South Jetty at South Beach, Fogarty Creek, Driftwood Beach and Governor Patterson Memorial (all in path of totality).

Valleys: Silver Falls, Willamette Mission (all in path of totality); Champoeg (on the edge of totality); Milo McIver (outside path of totality).

Central and Eastern: Smith Rock, The Cove Palisades, Farewell Bend (in path of totality); Cottonwood Canyon (outside path of totality).

Site descriptions for all eclipse camping areas are at oregonstateparks.org, along with links to other camping and lodging options in the state. No camping will be available for anyone without a reservation in the campgrounds listed above on Aug. 18-20.

To accommodate additional campers, OPRD will place extra staff in parks in and near totality and bring in portable toilets. OPRD is also collaborating with local and state authorities on traffic, crowd control and safety.

"Transportation planners predict unprecedented traffic and crowds during the eclipse weekend, and we are planning accordingly," Havel said. "We ask that campers plan to stay off the roads on the morning of Aug. 21 and respect any fire restrictions."

Campfires may be prohibited, depending on wildfire danger and the weather forecast. The Oregon Department of Forestry will post any wildfire restrictions at keeporegongreen.org/current-conditions/.

The eclipse will begin at 9 a.m. and end at 11:30 a.m. on Aug. 21, 2017. The 60-mile wide path of totality--when the moon completely blocks the sun--will last for about two minutes starting at 10:15 a.m. on the coast between Newport and Lincoln City. The path of totality then sweeps through the state and on to Idaho, then runs across the United States toward South Carolina. Those outside the path of totality will see a partial eclipse. For more information about the eclipse, visit bit.ly/OregonStateParks2017Eclipse.
General media inquiries:
Chris Havel
Communication and Research Division
chris.havel@oregon.gov
(503) 986-0722
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #55

Heading to Henderson, NE. Taking my telescopes and conducting star tours each night. "The Vagabond Astronomer."
2009 Ram 2500 5.7/3:73
cmac7203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #56

Kewl
wherewolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac7203 View Post
Heading to Henderson, NE. Taking my telescopes and conducting star tours each night. "The Vagabond Astronomer."
So tell me more about your star tours. (Don't want a repeat of that one in Hollywood! har har).

We're probably going to spend the time with family in Hastings since parks are already booked.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellee View Post
So tell me more about your star tours. (Don't want a repeat of that one in Hollywood! har har).

We're probably going to spend the time with family in Hastings since parks are already booked.

Orientation to the night sky including Milky Way and our place in it, the proper motions of the planets of our system in relation to it. Tour of various types of stars at varying distances and luminosities, a smattering of open clusters, globular clusters, and nebulae, and other galaxies (most notably Andromeda and the Whirlpool).
2009 Ram 2500 5.7/3:73
cmac7203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #59
Insert witty title here

Just booked Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park in Calvert City, KY. It still has lots of room.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #60

Eclipse reservations made in Blairsville, GA

I was late getting on the bandwagon for the eclipse and reservations are already getting hard to find in the direct path. Got a nice spot though at Crossing Creeks RV Resort in Blairsville, GA. Looks like a beautiful place and only 50 miles up the road from us!
2018 Rockwood 2604WS
https://rvtraveltrails.blogspot.com/
David1438 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar