Old 03-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #101

The longer you look at sea with no debris, the more you need to look on land. So far we know they have been searching in the wrong place. They had to do the obvious search area though since doing nothing was not an option.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #102
B47

So now the reports are indicating the airplane was flown by to 45,000 feet for the purpose of someone to dump cabin pressure and kill all the passengers - that's possible,but it would require the hijackers/flight crew to store some additional oxygen unless the 777 is like other jet passenger airplanes where the flight crew emergency oxygen is a separate system so less people are drawing from it. I believe it's a certification requirement for the flight crew to have their own emergency oxygen supply, but I haven't researched the regs.

I have worked with and read ACARS both as a mechanic for a major air carrier and as a FAA inspector and never thought it would someday play such this type role in aviation. The ACARS I worked with were a computer printout with both flight crew discrepancies and company recommended corrective actions. The mechanic would sign off his/her corrective action (s) on the printout which then became a part of the aircraft maintenance history.

The Malaysian authorities are now calling this a "Deliberate Action" and they may be right.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #103

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...k1ZGHq0pRy225w

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...yzyEO6_jEmjn2Q

Stranger things have been known to happen.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #104
Plain Old Member

It's crap like this that made me promise my wife when I came back from overseas, that I would never take my feet off of US soil again, or get in an airplane. I was willing to change careers if need be, but fortunately the company I work for was nice enough to ship me back to the US. I don't trust any airline, US or abroad. I still fly offshore in the GOM on helicopters, but that's a whole different deal.

My prayers are with all affected.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #105
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
The Egypt 767 accident offered more evident as to its probable cause than the Malaysian 777 accident has so far. The Egypt 767 never went off the air,so to speak, like the 777 did. There were only two countries investigating the accident,not like the 777 accident. Many other things also and I'll put my money on the NTSB's probable cause finding as being correct more than the Egyptian probable cause.

The Silkair 737 accident cause was due to a poorly designed PCU as it was in an U.S.Air 737 accident in Pittsburgh and one other 737 accident that I think was an United Airlines airplane.

The cause of all three of these 737 accidents was determined on the basis of hard facts,including tests. We don't have that here in the 777 accident yet.

Some similarities- maybe but not many IMO.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
So now the reports are indicating the airplane was flown by to 45,000 feet for the purpose of someone to dump cabin pressure and kill all the passengers - that's possible,but it would require the hijackers/flight crew to store some additional oxygen unless the 777 is like other jet passenger airplanes where the flight crew emergency oxygen is a separate system so less people are drawing from it.
if the acft dumped pressure above 14k feet, their is a solenoid operated (anernoid) valve that will release the masks at 14k from their storage container. the passengers would have 30 minutes of o2 available for their use. The pilots have a walk around O2 bottle available for them uncase the ships O2 bottles burst form some unknown reasons. I have never been in the Fdw E&E bay on a 777, this is where the ships o2 bottles would be secured IMO, and can the flight crew access them or another persons while in flight???

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #107
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
if the acft dumped pressure above 14k feet, their is a solenoid operated (anernoid) valve that will release the masks at 14k from their storage container. the passengers would have 30 minutes of o2 available for their use. The pilots have a walk around O2 bottle available for them uncase the ships O2 bottles burst form some unknown reasons. I have never been in the Fdw E&E bay on a 777, this is where the ships o2 bottles would be secured IMO, and can the flight crew access them or another persons while in flight???
You're correct on the oxygen mask drop IF they dropped them at 14k feet, but IF they waited until the airplane reached 40k plus to drop them,them I'm thinking the duration time would be shorter. Yes not only the pilots have walk around oxygen bottles,but if their rules are like ours in this area,there are many more walk around bottles though out the cabin,but not enough for every passenger and that's assuming the passengers even knew they were there or how to use them.

As far as the Electrical and Electronics (E&E) bay, I also have never been in there as was surprised to hear the 777 had such a bay,if in fact they do. The reports are saying that some airlines secure the floor access hatch panel to the E&E bay with a special screw to prevent unauthorized access. I'm going to call a FAA friend Monday to find out for sure.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #108
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

To this point, I think the only thing we've learned about this tragedy is that there is no apparent limit to the incompetence of the people in charge of the investigation......
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #109

interesting, most interesting!

[QUOTEThe search came the same day that Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said the plane’s disappearance was “deliberate” and evidence emerged that it appeared to have flown for seven hours after its radar transponder and satellite uplink went dead, apparently turned off by someone in the cockpit.][/QUOTE]

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...8671507&ssid=h
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #110
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
[QUOTEThe search came the same day that Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said the plane’s disappearance was “deliberate” and evidence emerged that it appeared to have flown for seven hours after its radar transponder and satellite uplink went dead, apparently turned off by someone in the cockpit.]

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...8671507&ssid=h[/QUOTE]

That's for sure - I'm hoping the NTSB is appointed as the lead investigation agency here - it's been done before.