Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Yep - the FAA issued an Airworthiness Directive (AD) for it. Just a simple piece of metal hinged to the fuselage skin that the airstream pushed into position against the left side of the door so it couldn't open in flight. It went into it's stowed (neutral) position when the airplane was on the ground so the door could be opened. A purely mechanical device.

I don't recall if it even have a cockpit indication light - I think it just worked on it own and couldn't be over ridden.

I don't think the AD was issued against the DC-9/MD-80 airplanes.
dont think every plane had this because our 100,200 series did not come with it, and all of them (6) except 2 were built with passengers in mind

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #162
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
dont think every plane had this because our 100,200 series did not come with it, and all of them (6) except 2 were built with passengers in mind
I can't find the first AD, but I did find one (81-02-09) that requires the aft air stair door handle on the 727-100 and 727-100C to be modified in accordance with a Boeing Service Bulletin. The AD allows for an Alternate Method Of Compliance (AMOC) if it's FAA approved.

Of course this isn't the first AD requiring installation of the "Cooper Vane" as it's some time called, because he jumped in November of 1971 and AD's are numbered by Fiscal Year issued followed by Month issued and them with the sequential number issued. So this one is 10 years newer that the original AD.

Don't know why I can't find that first AD.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #163
B47

These so called "Aviation Experts" make me laugh or maybe make me wonder how I can get to be one.

Now one of them is saying that all airlines should be required to subscribe to "ACARS" for tracking purposes. He further said that if an airline doesn't subscribe to " ACARS" that should be made known to all passengers.

All U.S. Air Carriers operating certain size airplanes are required by FAA regulations to have operative Flight Data Recorders and Cockpit Voice Recorders, but "ACARS" is primarily used to monitor airplane performance and is not required by FAA regulations.

They were of course speaking about the missing Malaysian 777, but it was reported by one of these "experts" early on that Malaysia Airlines didn't subscribe to it and weren't required to and he's correct.

Just think - before this event occurred, very few people outside of aviation could even say "ACARS" let alone what it is.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #164
RKR

I like CNN's "if the plane runs out of fuel it will hard for it to maintain attitude"
These guys are geniuses. Glad they explained that to me...
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #165
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I like CNN's "if the plane runs out of fuel it will hard for it to maintain attitude"
These guys are geniuses. Glad they explained that to me...
Yep - that's another one. Someone should ask " why will it be hard to maintain altitude?"
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #166
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Reminds me of an axiom someone shared with me some years ago. News reports regarding an aircraft mishap invariably end with a statement like " Investigators are looking into the reason the aircraft crashed"..... the reason is always the same: the aircraft crashed because it stopped flying. What you really want to know is why the aircraft stopped flying. I guess running out of gas would be way up on the list
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #167
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623 View Post
Reminds me of an axiom someone shared with me some years ago. News reports regarding an aircraft mishap invariably end with a statement like " Investigators are looking into the reason the aircraft crashed"..... the reason is always the same: the aircraft crashed because it stopped flying. What you really want to know is why the aircraft stopped flying. I guess running out of gas would be way up on the list
Yes Sir - you're are correct. Or as the NTSB and FAA people say:" The investigation is to determine the probable cause of the accident."
Old 04-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #168
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Yes Sir - you're are correct. Or as the NTSB and FAA people say:" The investigation is to determine the probable cause of the accident."
Or, as we used to say in Naval Aviation, "There's no such thing as an unsalvageable approach"
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #169

An expert is aguy that can pee without hitting the toilet

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Forest River Forums mobile app
mc9diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #170
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc9diver View Post
An expert is aguy that can pee without hitting the toilet

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Forest River Forums mobile app
My DW would like me to be an expect.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #171
B47

The media is reporting that a Chinese ship has detected what could be "pings" similar to those that would be emitted by the "black boxes" carried aboard the Malaysian 777 that went missing.

If valid,this could be the start of closure for the victims families.