Old 03-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

The flight crew uses it to report aircraft discrepancies to the ground personnel while inflight.

If you can ever get over to the air carrier gates at your airport,maybe you can ask someone to show you an ACARS printout.

I have heard of AHRS,but I'm not familiar with it.
we use a sat phone to report issues in flight, and we have 0 air carriers gates on our airport (KPTK) unless you consider pentastar and their G`s and they have 1 gate and it is for the redwings or pistons aircraft when they board at their ramp. all of our planes with glass have this Attitude and heading reference system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #142
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
we use a sat phone to report issues in flight, and we have 0 air carriers gates on our airport (KPTK) unless you consider pentastar and their G`s and they have 1 gate and it is for the redwings or pistons aircraft when they board at their ramp. all of our planes with glass have this Attitude and heading reference system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sorry - I thought you were at DTW,not Pontiac.

I wouldn't be surprised if those G's didn't have some version of ACARS on them.

What I said about my experience with ACARS is very limited compared to what it is today. I don't think ACARS was used for engine condition reporting on the 727's like it is on today's aircraft. I'm learning more about ACARS and all its uses from the Malaysian incident than I knew before.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #143

I would think aircraft with ACARS would be FADAC equipped, not the old hydromechanical fuel control like on the 72`s

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #144
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I would think aircraft with ACARS would be FADAC equipped, not the old hydromechanical fuel control like on the 72`s
Ah Yes - the old JT 8 HM fuel control; I changed more than my share of them and still have the fuel stained arms to prove it.

I believe the later aircraft do have the FADAC. I know the carrier that I was the Principal Maintenance Inspector on that were getting the new (at the time) EMB's had the Full Authority Digital Engine Control ( I believe that was the name',but it could have been FADAC) and there were some AD's issued against them.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #145
B47

Malaysia is now reporting that MH Flight 370 crashed into the Southern Indian Ocean. This is based upon satellite data.

God Bless.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #146
B47

Now the "experts" are speculating that either the Captain or First Officer or both might have committed "suicide by airplane" in the Malaysian incident. But the question keeps coming up asking if that's true,why wouldn't the person crash the airplane shortly after takeoff or why wait so long after takeoff to do it?

My opinion is that a person intend on committing suicide isn't very rational - in other words perhaps the Captain and/or First Officer spent some time airborne thinking about it or trying to convince himself to do it.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #147
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Now the "experts" are speculating that either the Captain or First Officer or both might have committed "suicide by airplane" in the Malaysian incident. But the question keeps coming up asking if that's true,why wouldn't the person crash the airplane shortly after takeoff or why wait so long after takeoff to do it?

My opinion is that a person intend on committing suicide isn't very rational - in other words perhaps the Captain and/or First Officer spent some time airborne thinking about it or trying to convince himself to do it.
While I completely agree that a person intent on committing suicide probably isn't very rational - but what, I might ask, were the other 238 souls on board doing while the captain and /or the first officer were "thinking about it" ????
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #148
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623 View Post
While I completely agree that a person intent on committing suicide probably isn't very rational - but what, I might ask, were the other 238 souls on board doing while the captain and /or the first officer were "thinking about it" ????
As a former Frequent Flyer with well over a million miles, I can tell you the other 238 souls had no idea what was going on and couldn't have done anything regardless if they had of known. They cannot/could not access the flight deck.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #149

A question.

If one or both wanted to suicide out why bother to disable the things (transponder) that have been reported not working when it disappeared?
Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #150
Site Team

Based on the latest news regarding possible debris found by satellites, it seems more likely the plane just flew until it ran out of fuel. Post #124 of this thread so far still seems the most likely cause.