Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #121
B47

I see Craig's List removed the For Sale post regarding the Malaysian 777 as shown in Weezers post #111.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #122
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Thanks - we have to be careful not to monopolize the forum, but I enjoy reading others ideas about this mystery as well as RV Q&A's also.
The latest update:

Missing Malaysia flight's path reportedly diverted through computer system | Fox News.

Sounds logical. No distress call = probable Hijack.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #123
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
The latest update:

Missing Malaysia flight's path reportedly diverted through computer system | Fox News.

Sounds logical. No distress call = probable Hijack.
I really have to laugh at some of these so-called "Aviation Experts" that are on Fox News giving their opinions - opinions are fine,but when you present them as facts,then that's different.

An example - last night on the Kelly File, she had some experts giving their opinions. When she asked them if the 777 did crash into the sea,would debris still be floating? One of these experts,I won't give his name,but he was a past member of the NTSB, said certainly " The 777 has a fuel tank in its tail and if it's still sealed it would float."

Just to set this straight - the 777 does not have a fuel tank in its tail. Some aircraft such as the MD-11 and some Airbus's do,but not the 777.

Now we are hearing that Malayasia 370 might have flown in the "shadow" of Singapore Airlines Flight 68 and avoided detection.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #124
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Here is the simplist explanation

Here is the best explanation I've seen and it survives "Occam's razor."

Malaysia Plane Fire - Business Insider

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #125
DDC

Click image for larger version

Name:	1926890_610076295741667_1643185195_n.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	47912
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #126
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Here is the best explanation I've seen and it survives "Occam's razor."

Malaysia Plane Fire - Business Insider

Teach
Certainly possible - but Goodfellow does say in one of his thoughts that a front landing gear tire might have blown on takeoff.

Possible,but wouldn't there be some tire debris left behind?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #127
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Now there's an "expert" I would trust.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I really have to laugh at some of these so-called "Aviation Experts" that are on Fox News giving their opinions - opinions are fine,but when you present them as facts,then that's different.

would debris still be floating?
bet they also could find the ID10T receiver, or 20 yards of flight line of they found the expert, watching CNN and the sim operator drinking a soda while in the sim , LOL that guy would be tossed out of every sim I have been in

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #129
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
bet they also could find the ID10T receiver, or 20 yards of flight line of they found the expert, watching CNN and the sim operator drinking a soda while in the sim , LOL that guy would be tossed out of every sim I have been in
Yeah - and they're still looking for that 5 gallon bucket of prop wash.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #130
Anacortesians

From the information released, it would appear that an experienced jet transport pilot was working the various instrumentation systems. The average hi-jacker wouldn't have the smarts to turn off ACARS - it's quite a complicated system. Most wouldn't even know how to shut down the radios on a 777, as they're all controlled through CRT consoles.

Either the crew are responsible, or some very well-trained hi-jackers are involved.

According to an Internet news source, the Chinese government has said "Maybe the airplane has landed out in our northern boonies. Maybe we should go look."

One of the authorities has announced that 12 of the passengers are transport pilots or "other airplane crew members". Whether that includes the cabin crew hasn't been explained.

The 777 is a complex electronic airplane. I'm familiar with it from my 30 years at Boeing. No way could some terrorist do what has been done in this case. It might never be found.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #131
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
From the information released, it would appear that an experienced jet transport pilot was working the various instrumentation systems. The average hi-jacker wouldn't have the smarts to turn off ACARS - it's quite a complicated system. Most wouldn't even know how to shut down the radios on a 777, as they're all controlled through CRT consoles.

Either the crew are responsible, or some very well-trained hi-jackers are involved.

According to an Internet news source, the Chinese government has said "Maybe the airplane has landed out in our northern boonies. Maybe we should go look."

One of the authorities has announced that 12 of the passengers are transport pilots or "other airplane crew members". Whether that includes the cabin crew hasn't been explained.

The 777 is a complex electronic airplane. I'm familiar with it from my 30 years at Boeing. No way could some terrorist do what has been done in this case. It might never be found.
How difficult would it be to gain access to the 777 E&E compartment inflight? I'm told the access hatch is located near the L 1 door.

I retired just as my assigned air carrier started getting their 777's and don't have that much hands on experience. I believe they were getting the - 100 series.

Regardless - I do know the 777 doesn't have a fuel tank in the tail as one of the so-called "Aviation Experts" say on TV last night.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #132

"The 777 is a complex electronic airplane. I'm familiar with it from my 30 years at Boeing. No way could some terrorist do what has been done in this case. It might never be found."

If I recall, in 2001, 19 terrorists hijacked 4 jets and were able to take over the controls of 3 of them and fly them hundreds of miles into the twin towers and the Pentagon. The 4th plane was prevented from flying into its target only because of the extraordinary actions of the passengers. We may hate these terrorists but don't make the mistake of underestimating their intelligence and ability to do the unthinkable.
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #133
NELA

HAVEERU NEWS - Residents of the remote Maldives island of Kuda Huvadhoo in Dhaal Atoll have reported seeing a “low flying jumbo jet” on the morning of the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #134
MI Camperz

Interesting Weezer...thanks for that info.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Let's take some care to make sure that prejudicial name-calling is not a part of this thread.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #136
B47

Latest report I have seen is that two objects have been sighted floating in the South Indian Ocean. What the objects are has not been positively established yet.

If the plane did crash into the ocean.perhaps this might be beginning of some closure to the victims families.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #137
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

That there is "no such thing as a stupid question" has been disproven over and over by any number of talking heads and "experts" over the course of the last two weeks.... Dan OUT!!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #138
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623 View Post
That there is "no such thing as a stupid question" has been disproven over and over by any number of talking heads and "experts" over the course of the last two weeks.... Dan OUT!!
I'll agree with that. I still am either laughing or shaking my head when I think of that ex NTSB member who said on Kelly's File the other night that the 777 has a tail fuel tank and if it's still sealed it would still be floating.

I won't mention his name,but I know his background and IMHO he didn't even deserve to be a NTSB member.

I'm listening to these people and IMO some of them are creditable and some are not.

It's kind of funny how some of these talk show hosts are now talking about transponders and their function when they probably never heard of one before this. The same with ACARS.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #139

^^^what is ACARS?? never heard of that one, our planes have AHRS

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #140
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
^^^what is ACARS?? never heard of that one, our planes have AHRS
Aircraft Communication Addressing and Reporting System. It was introduced in 1978. It's a digital datalink system for transmission of short messages between aircraft and ground stations.

The major air carrier I worked for and later was assigned to as a FAA inspector used it. There's many uses for it,but I'm familiar with the maintenance side of it.

The flight crew uses it to report aircraft discrepancies to the ground personnel while inflight. The ground crew then uses that information to do trouble shooting.order parts,etc before the aircraft arrives at the gate.

At my air carrier,management would print out the ACARS regarding maintenance items and the printout would be part of the aircrafts work package. The mechanic would show the corrective action taken for each maintenance item,sign it and then the ACARS printout would become part of that airplanes maintenance history.

If you can ever get over to the air carrier gates at your airport,maybe you can ask someone to show you an ACARS printout.

I have heard of AHRS,but I'm not familiar with it.