Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
He also explained commercial flights operate with a lower amount of of reserve fuel and will need to navigate into the storms to land.
“No person may operate a civil aircraft in IFR conditions unless it carries
enough fuel (considering weather reports and forecasts and weather
conditions) to-”

• Complete the flight to the first airport of intended landing;

• (2) …Fly from that airport to the alternate airport [if one is required]; and

• (3) Fly after that for 45 minutes at normal cruising speed or, for helicopters, fly
after that for 30 minutes at normal cruising speed

this applies to every single aircraft on a IFR flight plan and every single airline flies on a IFR flight plan, the IFR flight plan is canceled on the ground or just before landing as directed by ATC

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #62
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

The authorities are coming up with ever-more passport discrepancies regarding this flight and some are now saying that travelling on stolen passports is more common than one would imagine...FOR REAL?

Of course, the system depends on 100% of the security people doing their job correctly 100% of the time. Why leave it up to human eyeballs literally scanning hundreds of documents during their work shift? Why not put a bar code on every passport issued by every country? Scan the bar code and you'll know pretty much instantly if it's a valid travel document...

Way too easy
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #63
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
A question for all you aviation guys...Is severe turbulence a legitimate cause of in flight accidents? Not to veer too far off the topic at hand but i have been on a few flights into Florida and after a what I would consider a very extreme episode of turbulence on one flight I had a conversation with the guy next to me who was a Southwest pilot. He mentioned that it was bad but essentially there have been only a few lost aircraft due to turbulence in flight history? Perhaps he was talking of commercial flight? He also explained commercial flights operate with a lower amount of of reserve fuel and will need to navigate into the storms to land. This he sated was common on flights into orlando and points in FL.

Just found it interesting.
I been in what I considered severe turbulence and the pilots didn't seem to be fazed by it - but remember I'm not a pilot so I'm probably a bit more affected by it. The last inflight breakup due to turbulence accident I recall was a Braniff Electra Turboprop over Buffalo,Texas. Without further research,my guess is not many,but not sure.

If you want to see what the certification requirements are for modern Transport Category airplanes as far as loads and strength requirements are, you might look at 14 CFR 25, Subparts C and D. An aircraft manufacturer is required to submit a new aircraft structure to tests that require loading the wings and fuselage to the point where they actually break up to prove the load requirements are met. I think that you can find some videos of these tests if you Goggle.

As far as reserve fuel requirements go,each air carrier such as the one you mentioned here is required to follow the requirements of 14 CFR 121.639,121.641,121.643 and .645.depending upon aircraft type. These are the minimum fuel load requirements.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #64
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
“No person may operate a civil aircraft in IFR conditions unless it carries
enough fuel (considering weather reports and forecasts and weather
conditions) to-”

• Complete the flight to the first airport of intended landing;

• (2) …Fly from that airport to the alternate airport [if one is required]; and

• (3) Fly after that for 45 minutes at normal cruising speed or, for helicopters, fly
after that for 30 minutes at normal cruising speed

this applies to every single aircraft on a IFR flight plan and every single airline flies on a IFR flight plan, the IFR flight plan is canceled on the ground or just before landing as directed by ATC

What I tried to explain in my #63 post;only Jevand said it better.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #65
B47

Fox News has two "Experts" on Hannity speculating that either the pilot and/or First Officer (Co-Pilot) committed suicide or it's a terrorist act that may be a trial run to more terrorist acts.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #66
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Fox News has two "Experts" on Hannity speculating that either the pilot and/or First Officer (Co-Pilot) committed suicide or it's a terrorist act that may be a trial run to more terrorist acts.
That would be normal for fox, just present anything as the facts.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #67
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Ahem, "speculating" is the operative word here.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #68
RKR

Quote:

Speculating is not giving facts.

the forming of a THEORY or conjecture without firm evidence.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #69
RKR

I read that stolen passports are very common over there. They steal them and use them for human smuggling.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #70
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Speculating is not giving facts.

the forming of a THEORY or conjecture without firm evidence.
Thank you. Good timing.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #71
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer View Post
thank you. Good timing.

😉 👍
Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
He said "speculating" not presenting facts. And every channel I've turned to is "speculating." Fox just does it better.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #73
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
He said "speculating" not presenting facts. And every channel I've turned to is "speculating." Fox just does it better.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Until the hard facts are known,speculating is all anyone can do.

Watch when a NTSB spokesman is interviewed - they are very careful not to speculate when asked. I have worked with a few NTSB investigators and not speculating is drilled into their heads.

That's why the majority of their final reports end with the term "Probable Cause"
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #74
NELA

Two Suspect Iranian Passengers on Missing Malaysian Flight 370 Identified – Roommate Interviewed

For those who dismiss FOX, this link contains a video from CNN, and The Telegraph reporting that those two men with the stolen passports are......Iranian.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #75
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Two Suspect Iranian Passengers on Missing Malaysian Flight 370 Identified – Roommate Interviewed

For those who dismiss FOX, this link contains a video from CNN, and The Telegraph reporting that those two men with the stolen passports are......Iranian.
I have to do this too. I guess my friends think it must be "Faux", so I give them other sources.

I also heard that the mother of at least one of them was waiting for her son in Germany and contacted Malaysia because he hadn't arrived. Supposedly they were seeking asylum... (or نّة‎ Jannah?)
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #76
B47

This whole thing is getting weirder - they're now saying the search parties were in the wrong area.

Throw in the fact that the plane made a turn to the West plus they are now fairly certain the planes transponders were turned off. Some reports are saying it's not an easy task to turn off transponders,but all the transponders I have ever seen are turned on/off by a simple switch. I can't say how the transponders in the 777 are turned on/off,but I'm betting it's not a complicated task. Remember transponders are also used to send a discreet signal if the plane is being hijacked,so I'm thinking the flight crew has easy access to them.

Then there's reports the First Officer (Co-pilot) had let two women ride in the Flight Deck on a prior flight.

Plus there are reports that some passengers cell phones are ringing,but not being answered.

Weird.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #77

Quote:
Weird.
You have that right. This is looking more like an intentional pilot deviation. A 777 is hard to hide with few places to land easily. If it is an intentional crash/suicide (like Egypt Air), why fly towards the Indian Ocean? While you can lose a 727 in Africa, a 777 is harder to hide. It would be interesting to see the primary radar track. As you say, strange.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #78
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narboza View Post
You have that right. This is looking more like an intentional pilot deviation. A 777 is hard to hide with few places to land easily. If it is an intentional crash/suicide (like Egypt Air), why fly towards the Indian Ocean? While you can lose a 727 in Africa, a 777 is harder to hide. It would be interesting to see the primary radar track. As you say, strange.
A 777 would definitely be hard to hide - just think of all the advance preparations needed if they intended to land the big bird somewhere and not crashing it instead - how would you keep all that secret? And in today's world almost everyone had a cell phone - wouldn't some passengers call some one if the plane landed and not instead crashed into the ocean?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #79
Anacortesians

In the lunchtime news on our local station, they referred to a network (ABC, I think)that said the two Iranians using the stolen passports have been identified as teenagers fleeing Iran to get political asylum in Europe.

Also, in an associated item, they said that Interpol has a database that contains every reported stolen passport, gooing back many years. They can tell if any agency has queried it. Malaysia is one of many countries that never bothers to do so.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #80

Quote:
...in today's world almost everyone had a cell phone - wouldn't some passengers call some one if the plane landed and not instead crashed into the ocean?
Cell phone jammers are easy to get. Broadcast with more power than the cell towers on the GSM frequencies and they will all have no service. The safe landing possibility is intriguing, but I really suspect they crashed -- intentionally or otherwise. That Sukhoi Superjet crash site was hard to find.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote