Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
My huskies don't like hot weather! Do yours?
Sorry, not Huskies....Alaskan Malamutes

And I know the female loves snow, the male is new and from a local rescue, but I'm sure he will love to head dive into a snow bank.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by yworrydog View Post
Can't go for more then 30days The PO will only hold our mail for that long.
Talk to your deliver person. I give mine 2 cards when I am gone more than 30 days and up to 6 weeks.

Much beyond that look into a pre-paid priority mail forward service the post office offers that will box your weekly mail and forward it to you at your summer location.

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #43

Originally Posted by yworrydog
"Can't go for more then 30days The PO will only hold our mail for that long."

When we go on extended trips we put in a temporary change of address with the post office and have mail forwarded to my son's house. I think they will forward the mail up to one year. When we return the mail delivery resumes at our house.

Note: just because the bills go to your kid's house, don't expect them to be paid
Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Originally Posted by yworrydog
"Can't go for more then 30days The PO will only hold our mail for that long."

When we go on extended trips we put in a temporary change of address with the post office and have mail forwarded to my son's house. I think they will forward the mail up to one year. When we return the mail delivery resumes at our house.

Note: just because the bills go to your kid's house, don't expect them to be paid
We did that with my parents when we were moving. They have also used our address when moving. The only drawback is it took a couple of years for the mail to get straightened out due to companies pulling the forwarding mail information from the USPS.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Talk to your deliver person. I give mine 2 cards when I am gone more than 30 days and up to 6 weeks.

Much beyond that look into a pre-paid priority mail forward service the post office offers that will box your weekly mail and forward it to you at your summer location.

Herk
Or, just go to www.usps.com and increase your mail holding time for another 30 days and continue doing that in 30 day increments for as long as required.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #46
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Or, just go to www.usps.com and increase your mail holding time for another 30 days and continue doing that in 30 day increments for as long as required.
That's how we do it - works great and better than asking a neighbor.

Forward your land line phone calls also if you have one.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #47
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
What did you do in January of 2014 when the night temp dropped to 28 degrees. I was there when they closed Pensacola NAS base for 2 days. I bet you didn't wear sweats then. Same temp in Jacksonville..... BEEP, BEEP
When it got that cold, we were actually camping at Ocean Pines RV, NAS Oceana of all places and it was actually warmer in Virginia Beach than in Jacksonville.....not by much, mind you, but still warmer.
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
When it got that cold, we were actually camping at Ocean Pines RV, NAS Oceana of all places and it was actually warmer in Virginia Beach than in Jacksonville.....not by much, mind you, but still warmer.
You were lucky, First time ever I seen USAF base closed for 2 days. But I can understand the front gate is on a down slope which was just pure ice. In Florida they do not have snow removal equipment and salt trucks. I just went to see the Blue Angels, but they were smart and where in there California base already. I like to stay at SEA MIST in the Oceana Anx. still part of the base a lot of training there here in Virginia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Mist , Oceano NAS 007.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	65480  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
My huskies don't like hot weather! Do yours?
We had an Alaskan Malamute when I was growing up...he seemed to love 15 degrees but was miserable at 85 or above!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
$$$$$$$ is probably reason #1

Not every retired person has lots of it ��

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I'll second my friend !!
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Sounds like you have caught the "Rocky Mountain High" fever.

Colorado is a beautiful state - we stayed at the Air Force Acedemy camp ground 2 years ago and Colorado Springs is beautiful.
Well y'all were just a few miles from us...we live on a ridge off Baptist road and can see the Academy from our back porch. (Free air show seats and when they do fly-overs for the AF Football games they make the turn right over us...) We've heard good things about the RV camp grounds and often dump our tanks there before storing down on the south side of the Academy. (Which came within a few miles of getting burned out in that huge fire we had a few years ago...they evacuated the Academy and it happened too fast for me to run down and get my camper.)

Go Air Force!!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #52
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
I'll second my friend !!
We found it is just a little cheaper to stay in FL. We camp half the time in TT Orlando for free and the other half @ Fawn Ridge-Davenport for $3/night full hook ups and level concrete pads/patios. Reduced heating/elec at home is enough to pay the fee @ Fawn Ridge. NOW, if we just didn't eat out as much or go to flea markets, we could actually save a little.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #53

30 December 2013 is when we took delivery in Orlando of our 8289. We camped the entire month of January in Florida down the east coast and up the west coast. Took another almost two weeks camping our way back to Texas, had a great time with our new camper. Never seen so much rain as we did the first week in Florida, one night almost 10". We will make it back to Florida but not this year, other plans in so Texas. Florida was a good test for our camper and we know it does not leak.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #54
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
DW's parents are in their 80's and she's an only child, so we feel kind of compelled to stay close to Missouri in the winter, in case they need our help. There will come a time, though...
Same here... Mom passed away last year leaving Dad in his eighties by himself so we do everything we can to help him stay independent.

Besides... If I've spent this many winters up here so it can't be all that bad... eh?

Retired this year and loving it!

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #55

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We found it is just a little cheaper to stay in FL. We camp half the time in TT Orlando for free and the other half @ Fawn Ridge-Davenport for $3/night full hook ups and level concrete pads/patios. Reduced heating/elec at home is enough to pay the fee @ Fawn Ridge. NOW, if we just didn't eat out as much or go to flea markets, we could actually save a little.
Sounds like you have a good deal going OC. We volunteer at a Florida State Park for our camping. Free camping with full hook ups in exchange for 20 hrs of work a week. The work is actually fun, rewarding, and after our time is in we can go out and play. I agree with your statement that it might be a little cheaper to stay in Florida rather than run my home furnace and electricity almost non-stop. And if it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it! That's my motto!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
We had an Alaskan Malamute when I was growing up...he seemed to love 15 degrees but was miserable at 85 or above!!
My female went through three summers in Moab UT. On the really hot days, over 100, she wondered outside of the house only when necessary and always laid near the AC vent. However, at night, if it dropped below 90, or early mornings, before it went over 90, she would get a 1-2 mile walk. She seemed to like it, and I knew where are the city water spigots were on the different hikes.

But she sure does love to head dive into a snowdrift in the winter when I would take her up to the Lasals.

They are "snow dogs," so they sure do love winters.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
My female went through three summers in Moab UT. On the really hot days, over 100, she wondered outside of the house only when necessary and always laid near the AC vent. However, at night, if it dropped below 90, or early mornings, before it went over 90, she would get a 1-2 mile walk. She seemed to like it, and I knew where are the city water spigots were on the different hikes.

But she sure does love to head dive into a snowdrift in the winter when I would take her up to the Lasals.

They are "snow dogs," so they sure do love winters.
I'm showing my age, but there was a movie "Savage Sam" out when we got our dog so we ended up naming him Savage. He was a big dog, around 100 pounds but not "savage" at all...loved children and when other dogs would attack he didn't know how to fight so would just lay down until we chased the dog away. He rarely barked but would make deep bear sounds when we would play....I loved that dog!!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #58
Anacortesians

Actually, Dan, DW and I were both born and raised in the northwest of England. The climate here in Washington is similar, but maybe 10 degrees warmer, so we're comfortable with it.

I was laid off from Boeing in 1971 and ended up working for three years for a contractor at NASA-Langley in Hampton VA. The third day after we got there, I was headed out to work at 06:45 and it was 81F, foggy, and there was a thunderstorm going on. To an expat Brit whose only experience of the US was Washington, it just didn't compute. It couldn't possibly be 81 degrees before about 15:00, if ever! Foggy and 81? no way in hell.

I never could get used to the climate there (or the bugs - particularly the skeeters and the "no-see-ums") and was overjoyed when Boeing called and asked if I'd like to go back. I believed the story that a Virginia mosquito landed at Langley AFB and ramp personnel pumped 120 gallons of jet fuel into it before they realized it wasn't an F-15.

People teased us about being from Seattle "where it rains a lot". Around here, if it rains for 24 hours we get maybe 3/4 of an inch. In Hampton, the afternoon summer t/storms dropped 3" or more in 45 minutes. One day, the afternoon t/storm stayed around until about 06:00 the next day. IIRC we got about 13" of rain in 18 hours. A railroad underpass in Newport News flooded enough to float the railroad track off its bridge pilings.

I often had to pull over on the way home from work because the windshield wipers on my British Ford couldn't handle the flow rate. My usual reply to people giving me a hard time about the rain in Seattle was "Yeah, it rains a lot in the Northwest, but it doesn't rain much".
Old 10-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #59

Because I am already here and been in the South all my life

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul
Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Pcola is still too far north. Have to be close to I4 or south of I4!
I4 and South is known as highway to hell by original Florida Crackers

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul

Tags
tire, winter