Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #71
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Here's why many of us don't:

Time Magazine, Nov 10, 2014 edition (got it yesterday):

$20,000 - The average amount saved for retirement by middle-class Americans of all ages.

Scary.
That has to be for ALL Americans, right? It must be an average, figuring in the vast majority who have zero savings and the rest who do have some sort of savings account.
That number can not be an average of just people who have a savings account can it?
Do people really head towards retirement just counting on Uncle Sugar to provide?
__________________

__________________
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
schrederman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
That has to be for ALL Americans, right? It must be an average, figuring in the vast majority who have zero savings and the rest who do have some sort of savings account.
That number can not be an average of just people who have a savings account can it?
Do people really head towards retirement just counting on Uncle Sugar to provide?
Seems to me there are many that depend on Uncle Sugar for their entire livelihood... From the sweet grass to the packing house... I'm already in the south. I'm considering going NORTH for the summers when I retire... I just passed the under-2-years mark yesterday!
__________________

__________________
J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dacula, Georgia
Posts: 1,200
Talking Avg savings

That would be ALL by someone's poll! Would not include investment portfolios, or, pensions, or unreported income.
Lot's of vet's out there along with retired civil service workers such as police and firefighters or tenured retired teachers.
Just try to find a great RV spot anywhere during prime season. Money is coming from some place and its all is not in a savings account.
I have yet to run into any family out there in my RV experience who would be classified as government dependent as we see on the media.
In many parks, your RV has a max of 10 years old. You can't even buy one if you do not have either cash, or excellent credit.
As in anything, there are exceptions.
__________________
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 305
DH and I are both retired, myself as an LEO and he was a teacher/administrator. We can't go south because our kids are still in school! One is in 5th grade and the other is in 2nd. We figure in another year or two, we will take off and head west and see the NPs and then head to the south for the winter and work our way across the country from west to east.

Also, my parents are both still alive and kicking and I don't really want to go off and leave them here alone and they don't want to travel.
__________________
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,731
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Here's why many of us don't:

Time Magazine, Nov 10, 2014 edition (got it yesterday):

$20,000 - The average amount saved for retirement by middle-class Americans of all ages.

Scary.

Quote:
That has to be for ALL Americans, right? It must be an average, figuring in the vast majority who have zero savings and the rest who do have some sort of savings account.
That number can not be an average of just people who have a savings account can it?
Do people really head towards retirement just counting on Uncle Sugar to provide?
Watch Suze Orman sometime and see the older (40-60 yrs) folks calling in wanting to buy something and they basically have NOTHING in a retirement account. Social Security was never meant to pay for anyone's retirement, but there are a LOT of people out there who don't have a clue.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #76
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Watch Suze Orman sometime and see the older (40-60 yrs) folks calling in wanting to buy something and they basically have NOTHING in a retirement account. Social Security was never meant to pay for anyone's retirement, but there are a LOT of people out there who don't have a clue.
You said it all. In addition,the jobs with a defined pension are going away. I grew up close to Rochester,N.Y.in the late 1940 thru 1960. Rochester then had many good blue collar jobs with General Motors (Delco), Eastman Kodak,Baushe & Lomb,Zerox and many more. People who worked for those companies could reasonably expect to retire from them with a definited pension (no such thing as a 401K then).

Those type of jobs more the most part are long gone. In addition,you read about people not knowing how to manage their 401K accounts.

In addition, Social Security is said to be going away sooner than later.
__________________
B47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Sharon455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 387
Any further south and we'd be in Mexico. OK to visit once in awhile, but we like our guns, so Southern Arizona until we can sell the houses.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, winter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.