Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Was wondering why retired folks don't go south for the winter.
The warm sun and low humidity feels great on ole bones and muscles.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #62
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I think a better question would be "why do retired people go back north in the spring?"
Good question!

Sneak and I are doing a lot of thinking, planning, putting pencil to paper lately.

We're getting very close to "that time". About ready to sell our house, downsize, etc.

We're looking at fulltiming in Buffy, home base in FL, etc.

I have had some "wake up" physical challenges over the last two months. Time to let go of things and stuff that just don't matter and focus on US and the one thing we've doggedly worked toward:

RETIREMENT

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #63

Here's why many of us don't:

Time Magazine, Nov 10, 2014 edition (got it yesterday):

$20,000 - The average amount saved for retirement by middle-class Americans of all ages.

Scary.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

$20,000 - The average amount saved for retirement by middle-class Americans of all ages.

Scary.
That's ALL? Or is that per year?

I make more than that with SS!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #65
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
That's ALL? Or is that per year?

I make more than that with SS!
Unfortunately it's true. I read some money magazines and watch some business TV shows and they say the same thing.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
I hate ice fishing, tried it once. By the time I cut a hole in the ice big enough for the boat, I was too tired to fish!

Bob
I've done some ice fishing in the past, that's hilarious!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #67

3 Grandkids whom we love to be a part of their growing... ages; 7, 5 and 5 months.
Another is simply finding different RV resorts that have open spaces for a single winter month. (We do have a spot for Feb in Ft Pierce, FL) . Not sure if we want to go back there. We have time to decide. Park is VERY NICE, however, local business area, not close to any beaches we might like to visit. Doing Christmas at Fort Wilderness and New Year's in Jacksonville,FL. New Year's EVE at The Landing is more than SUPER!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Was wondering why retired folks don't go south for the winter.
Would love to go south for the winter, however unexpected health problems happen! Diagnosed with atrial fibrillation last November and that's enough for health insurance companies to distance themselves from you! Was in Arizona winter of 2012 it was fantastic. Was hoping to do Texas last winter, didn't happen! Now I'm hoping for the condition to stabilize enough to do next winter down south!! For those that have gone south have fun, be safe and for those remaining in the frozen north stay warm and keep healthy.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
3 Grandkids whom we love to be a part of their growing... ages; 7, 5 and 5 months.
Another is simply finding different RV resorts that have open spaces for a single winter month. (We do have a spot for Feb in Ft Pierce, FL) . Not sure if we want to go back there. We have time to decide. Park is VERY NICE, however, local business area, not close to any beaches we might like to visit. Doing Christmas at Fort Wilderness and New Year's in Jacksonville,FL. New Year's EVE at The Landing is more than SUPER!!
Treasure Coast RV park near FT Pierce Fl is a beautiful RV park. Stayed there 8 days January 2014. One of the best we stayed at in Florida.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #70

Phone Dude

As stated, but not named, our Ft Pierce, FL experience was in a "very nice" RV Park. That park is "Treasure Coast". The ONLY reason we are vacillating on choices is west coast of FL versus east coast. Both have plusses. On the minus side, seems most of the "old people" gravitate towards west coast south near Ft Myers. By the way, at over "70" we fit that profile
We enjoy restaurants and shopping where there are folks with kids. Helps keep our spirits strong.

I am a retired former Florida banker. Traveled the state extensively weekly for years. Been to every town and burb out there. Finding the right mix of RV park in the right area for us still remains a challenge. We generally do not return to the same areas. Last winter we stayed at the beautiful Silver Palms RV Resort at Lake Okeechobee. VERY, VERY NICE. But, been there, done that . Time for something else.
2 years ago, wintered in AZ. GREAT. May consider Texas coast.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #71
Infractee

Quote:

Scary.
That has to be for ALL Americans, right? It must be an average, figuring in the vast majority who have zero savings and the rest who do have some sort of savings account.
That number can not be an average of just people who have a savings account can it?
Do people really head towards retirement just counting on Uncle Sugar to provide?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
That has to be for ALL Americans, right? It must be an average, figuring in the vast majority who have zero savings and the rest who do have some sort of savings account.
That number can not be an average of just people who have a savings account can it?
Do people really head towards retirement just counting on Uncle Sugar to provide?
Seems to me there are many that depend on Uncle Sugar for their entire livelihood... From the sweet grass to the packing house... I'm already in the south. I'm considering going NORTH for the summers when I retire... I just passed the under-2-years mark yesterday!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #73

Talking Avg savings

That would be ALL by someone's poll! Would not include investment portfolios, or, pensions, or unreported income.
Lot's of vet's out there along with retired civil service workers such as police and firefighters or tenured retired teachers.
Just try to find a great RV spot anywhere during prime season. Money is coming from some place and its all is not in a savings account.
I have yet to run into any family out there in my RV experience who would be classified as government dependent as we see on the media.
In many parks, your RV has a max of 10 years old. You can't even buy one if you do not have either cash, or excellent credit.
As in anything, there are exceptions.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #74

DH and I are both retired, myself as an LEO and he was a teacher/administrator. We can't go south because our kids are still in school! One is in 5th grade and the other is in 2nd. We figure in another year or two, we will take off and head west and see the NPs and then head to the south for the winter and work our way across the country from west to east.

Also, my parents are both still alive and kicking and I don't really want to go off and leave them here alone and they don't want to travel.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #75

Quote:
Quote:

Scary.

Quote:
Watch Suze Orman sometime and see the older (40-60 yrs) folks calling in wanting to buy something and they basically have NOTHING in a retirement account. Social Security was never meant to pay for anyone's retirement, but there are a LOT of people out there who don't have a clue.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #76
B47

Quote:
Watch Suze Orman sometime and see the older (40-60 yrs) folks calling in wanting to buy something and they basically have NOTHING in a retirement account. Social Security was never meant to pay for anyone's retirement, but there are a LOT of people out there who don't have a clue.
You said it all. In addition,the jobs with a defined pension are going away. I grew up close to Rochester,N.Y.in the late 1940 thru 1960. Rochester then had many good blue collar jobs with General Motors (Delco), Eastman Kodak,Baushe & Lomb,Zerox and many more. People who worked for those companies could reasonably expect to retire from them with a definited pension (no such thing as a 401K then).

Those type of jobs more the most part are long gone. In addition,you read about people not knowing how to manage their 401K accounts.

In addition, Social Security is said to be going away sooner than later.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #77

Any further south and we'd be in Mexico. OK to visit once in awhile, but we like our guns, so Southern Arizona until we can sell the houses.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, winter