Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,201
River Flooding

We are experiencing historic flooding in our neck of the woods. Interstate 44 was closed today at Valley Park, MO along with many other local and state roads due to the flooding. The Meramec River is expected to crest tomorrow at 47 feet, thatís a foot and a half higher than the record flood of 1993. The flood of í93 was considered a 500 year flood. For a point of reference, minor flooding occurs in Arnold, MO when the Meramec River reaches 24 feet.

An RV storage lot a few miles from our house went under and all but one of the RVs were moved before it flooded. This is all that can be seen of the motorhome wasnít removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1606 - Copy.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	97009

The flooding also claimed this gas station near that RV storage lot. I'm guessing that the flood water will contaminate the fuel in the underground storage tanks. I won't be buying my gas at this station in the future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1599 - Copy.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	97010
__________________

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,115
glad to know you and DW are safe. We are watching the River Des Peres very carefully but believe we are gonna be safe. We were the last house that didn't flood in 93...but our backyard was in the river.
__________________

__________________
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Sandpiper 25RLS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,428
Oh man that looks terrible
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
toslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 373
feel for the folks that dealing with the flood, glad to be on high ground
__________________
haven a blast
toslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
glad to know you and DW are safe. We are watching the River Des Peres very carefully but believe we are gonna be safe. We were the last house that didn't flood in 93...but our backyard was in the river.
Hopefully you will stay dry.

The concern tonight is that Interstate 55 might go under.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Wobbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Southern, IL
Posts: 2,596
A number of my co-workers started getting nervous around noon today. A mutual decision was made that they would go home early and plan on working from home tomorrow. One worker reported via his wife, that of the five ways to go home, four were closed.

Flooding is bad. Flooding in the winter is way bad. Power usually goes out during flooding events.

Southern counties are going to be a mess.
__________________
Bob & Michelle
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4
2017 Flagstaff Super Lite 526RLWS
Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
cogito ergo moo
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
We are experiencing historic flooding in our neck of the woods. Interstate 44 was closed today at Valley Park, MO along with many other local and state roads due to the flooding. The Meramec River is expected to crest tomorrow at 47 feet, thatís a foot and a half higher than the record flood of 1993. The flood of í93 was considered a 500 year flood. For a point of reference, minor flooding occurs in Arnold, MO when the Meramec River reaches 24 feet.

An RV storage lot a few miles from our house went under and all but one of the RVs were moved before it flooded. This is all that can be seen of the motorhome wasnít removed.

Attachment 97009

The flooding also claimed this gas station near that RV storage lot. I'm guessing that the flood water will contaminate the fuel in the underground storage tanks. I won't be buying my gas at this station in the future.

Attachment 97010
I haven't bought gas at the Springdale Shell in years because of that. Did ya see the place that sells storage sheds over there? Apparently, the sheds more or less float!

Tim
__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/
2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss44444444"And Cowracer is right..." - Bikendan
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I haven't bought gas at the Springdale Shell in years because of that. Did ya see the place that sells storage sheds over there? Apparently, the sheds more or less float!

Tim
True, but houses are floating right now, so that's not a good indication

Tim, Hope you, NoHandle and your families are safe as well
__________________
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Sandpiper 25RLS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
cogito ergo moo
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
True, but houses are floating right now, so that's not a good indication

Tim, Hope you, NoHandle and your families are safe as well
Yeah, we good. We both live up high enough that flooding is no problem

Tim
__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/
2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss44444444"And Cowracer is right..." - Bikendan
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I haven't bought gas at the Springdale Shell in years because of that. Did ya see the place that sells storage sheds over there? Apparently, the sheds more or less float!

Tim
I'm thinking there is going to be a sale on sheds when the water goes down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1595_1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	97092
__________________

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.