Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
DDC

Russian planes

I've seen this done with RC planes but never with real ones.

LiveLeak.com - Russian UFO Jet Fighters 2014
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
DDC

And this one.

This Boeing video is really something......a first for a full size jet airplane.

Thousands of planes that were grave yard bound, with costs in the hundreds of millions, now can be used as never before. These F-16
aircraft have been in the bone yard at Davis-Monahan for 15years and are now being used as drones!

Large Video Player 686x436
Old 01-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
And this one.

This Boeing video is really something......a first for a full size jet airplane.

Thousands of planes that were grave yard bound, with costs in the hundreds of millions, now can be used as never before. These F-16
aircraft have been in the bone yard at Davis-Monahan for 15years and are now being used as drones!

Large Video Player 686x436
A lot of F4's were modified into drones plus,as you say,thousands of others were also. I believe most,if not all drones,were fighter aircraft.

The military calls drones "Q" IIRC e.g. QF16.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
A lot of F4's were modified into drones plus,as you say,thousands of others were also. I believe most,if not all drones,were fighter aircraft.

The military calls drones "Q" IIRC e.g. QF16.
What did you think about those russian planes?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
What did you think about those russian planes?
Funny you asked - I was just getting ready to post a reply about my limited experience with them.

I was at Nellis AFB,NV.in either 1977 or 1978 for a USAF Red Flag exercise that the reserve unit I was in participated in.

We were shown a captured (I think what they called it) Russian fighter jet.

The construction of the airframe was very primitive compared to our planes of the same time - the Russians used Universal (round head) rivets and not counter sunk rivets on the exterior skin and the production joints were IMO very sloppy.

That's about all I remember about it,but it sure wasn't anywhere the quality of our planes in the areas I saw which wasn't much as the plane was roped off.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:

When I was still in the Army, in the late 80's, I went to a military air show and watched a pair of Migs do similar feats. The pilot walked one down the runway, nose up, at about 50' up. When he got to the end of the runway, he shot straight up. At the time, there wasn't anything like it in our Air Force.

I also got to look around the inside of a stealth fighter, which still wasn't publicly acknowledged at that time!

2000 Cherokee 31BH, lifted,LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
NELA

Quote:

ACK! Butterflies as big as buzzards watching that!

Rolled back memories of a time years ago when I had the "privilege" of riding in a restored T6. It was owned by a corporate pilot I worked with...4 point rolls , barrel rolls and hammerheads!

I was screaming my head off while he laughed his arse off. Oh the crazy things we do when we're young.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
Broken Toe

Quote:

That's cute and all, and makes for a cool airshow, but for 99% of those maneuvers, the russkie pilot would be dead from catching a missile in the lips. Notice almost all of those 'stunts' are pulled at low speeds. US forces tend to engage with missile long before visual contact is made. Going that slow and doing that ballerina crap just makes the intercept solution for the missile that much easier.

The F-22 is nowhere near that maneuverable, but its as stealthy as the F-117, and can super-cruise. The first idea that an enemy pilot will have that he was shot at was when his wingman blows up.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
That's cute and all, and makes for a cool airshow, but for 99% of those maneuvers, the russkie pilot would be dead from catching a missile in the lips. Notice almost all of those 'stunts' are pulled at low speeds. US forces tend to engage with missile long before visual contact is made. Going that slow and doing that ballerina crap just makes the intercept solution for the missile that much easier.

The F-22 is nowhere near that maneuverable, but its as stealthy as the F-117, and can super-cruise. The first idea that an enemy pilot will have that he was shot at was when his wingman blows up.

Tim
I agree cute!
So far its F-15 Eagles 104 to NUTHIN, over anything else that's been thrown against them. and now we got the F22 that uses the F15 for a sparring partner. "Scuse me while I touch the sky"
BTW I grew up at Nellis AFB
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I agree cute!
So far its F-15 Eagles 104 to NUTHIN, over anything else that's been thrown against them. and now we got the F22 that uses the F15 for a sparring partner. "Scuse me while I touch the sky"
BTW I grew up at Nellis AFB
That one Russian fighter has a speed brake that looks very very similar to the one on the F15. - just saying

Do you know if they still hold the Red Flag exercises at Nellis? I was in one in either 1977 or 1978 with our F105 outfit from Carswell AFB.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
That one Russian fighter has a speed brake that looks very very similar to the one on the F15. - just saying

Do you know if they still hold the Red Flag exercises at Nellis? I was in one in either 1977 or 1978 with our F105 outfit from Carswell AFB.
Last I knew it was still an annual event unless our beloved leaders in congress decided it was too expensive. Thud was an impressive bird. Many said it was triple threat! Strafe ya, bomb ya or fall on ya
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Last I knew it was still an annual event unless our beloved leaders in congress decided it was too expensive. Thud was an impressive bird. Many said it was triple threat! Strafe ya, bomb ya or fall on ya
Yep - it did all those things. That's why it was called the "Thud"
Old 01-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
ACK! Butterflies as big as buzzards watching that!

Rolled back memories of a time years ago when I had the "privilege" of riding in a restored T6. It was owned by a corporate pilot I worked with...4 point rolls , barrel rolls and hammerheads!

I was screaming my head off while he laughed his arse off. Oh the crazy things we do when we're young.
i also was able to fly a restored 1942 AT-6 and we did the same maneuvers.
i got to do the barrel rolls and the pilot did the inside loops, hammer stalls and 4-pointers. absolutely loved that plane.
also done the same in a Stearman bi-plane. nothing like an open cockpit for doing those kind of maneuvers. easily the most fun i've had in a plane.

i'll be 60 this year and would do it again without hesitation. my dream is a flight in a Pitts aerobatic bi-plane.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #14

Don't know about Nellis, but Eielson AFB in Alaska hosts three red flag exercises a year. the "agressor" f16 squadron are the only fighters left there, for now.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Infractee

Quote:

The two planes for the first few minutes of the video are radio controlled models, the second one shown is a real SU-30.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
...The F-22 is nowhere near that maneuverable, but its as stealthy as the F-117, and can super-cruise. The first idea that an enemy pilot will have that he was shot at was when his wingman blows up.
Tim
And the F35 puts the F22 to shame.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And the F35 puts the F22 to shame.
In some ways yes, in other ways no.

Avionics wise, Displays, EW systems, situational awareness, etc etc the F-35 is in a class by itself.
Seat of the pants flying, maneuvering, speed and handling etc etc, F-22 is the winner.

Both great airplanes, their missions are different tho, almost an apples to oranges comparison in all reality.

I work on the F-35 every day, I could tell you more but I would have to kill myself...
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #18

Quote:
in the late 80's, I went to a military air show and watched a pair of Migs do similar feats. The pilot walked one down the runway, nose up, at about 50' up. When he got to the end of the runway, he shot straight up. At the time, there wasn't anything like it in our Air Force.
If I'm reading your description correctly, then I would disagree that we didn't have anything like it in the Air Force (unless you really meant Air Force, and not "Armed Forces") in the late 1980's. I was an Aviation Electrician in the Navy at the Naval Missile Center at NAS Pt. Mugu in the early 1970's. The F-14A Tomcat was being wrung out by Grumman. (Armed guards around the hanger, etc. Not yet released to the fleet.) The first "Six on six" (tracking and shooting down 6 targets by one plane at once) in history was performed while I was there. At our air show, Space Fair '73 (might have been '74), they brought the swing-wing F-14 down the runway at about 25-35 mph ground speed, essentially standing on its tail (maybe 10-15 degrees from vertical). maybe 50-75 ft above the runway. At the end of the runway, he cut in the afterburners and went straight up, and you could see the wings swing back in as he went up. Sounds like "walking down the runway and going straight up" to me. Again, that was 1973 or 1974.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If I'm reading your description correctly, then I would disagree that we didn't have anything like it in the Air Force (unless you really meant Air Force, and not "Armed Forces") in the late 1980's. I was an Aviation Electrician in the Navy at the Naval Missile Center at NAS Pt. Mugu in the early 1970's. The F-14A Tomcat was being wrung out by Grumman. (Armed guards around the hanger, etc. Not yet released to the fleet.) The first "Six on six" (tracking and shooting down 6 targets by one plane at once) in history was performed while I was there. At our air show, Space Fair '73 (might have been '74), they brought the swing-wing F-14 down the runway at about 25-35 mph ground speed, essentially standing on its tail (maybe 10-15 degrees from vertical). maybe 50-75 ft above the runway. At the end of the runway, he cut in the afterburners and went straight up, and you could see the wings swing back in as he went up. Sounds like "walking down the runway and going straight up" to me. Again, that was 1973 or 1974.

Exactly like what I saw at that air show. From what i can remember, it was billed as a first. After he migs would shoot straight up, they would hold a nose up attitude and basically sit stationary at about 10,000 feet for a few seconds. It was impressive. I never saw our guys doing anything like it. Of course it was an air show, so the pilots might have been "showing off" a bit

2000 Cherokee 31BH, lifted,LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:
they would hold a nose up attitude and basically sit stationary at about 10,000 feet for a few seconds.
I don't know if the F-14 could do this. It might, but it was still "experimental" in those days, so I'm guessing that if it could, they didn't want to risk it at an air show. In theory, if you've got the thrust to go straight up, (thrust/weight ratio >1) you should be able to sit on your tail, but the question is how to maintain stability for the few seconds you're sitting there. These newer jets have vector-able engine nozzles and computerized controls that do this. I don't recall if the F-14 had those or not. I suspect not, as that was 40 years ago.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote